“Overall a good hotel. Not for us again though.”

Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Sydney, Australia
“Overall a good hotel. Not for us again though.”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Due to illness this review is a little late as we stayed back in October as part of our honeymoon.
After reading so many positive reviews from other TA members, especially the feeling of being part of the family and the amazing friendly staff, we could not wait to get here and experience this for ourselves.
I guess reality is always a little different from the expectations one can build in the imagination. I think that's also why I was a little disappointed by the end of our stay.
This hotel charges pretty high prices for the rooms you get, but I wasn't so concerned about that as I believed it would be a trade-off with an amazing level of service from the staff and we would be welcomed almost like family as this is a very small hotel. Other reviewers have commented on how staff knew them by name and would smile and chat. Even the garden staff were all happy. Happy, happy, one big family.
We stayed 10 days and only once did one of the breakfast staff refer to me by name. And that was on the 2nd last day. Another staff member who had served us numerous times throughout our stay asked us if we were guests of the hotel on our 2nd last night when we asked him about making a reservation to eat in the restaurant. Hmm. Like I said, we had built up this expectation of being well known by name by the end of our trip. We did stay for 10 days after all. And there isn't that many people in the hotel. I am white and my wife is Asian. So as a couple we sort of would be memorable, I think. Considering there aren't many rooms at the hotel. In contrast, we also stayed in a huge 500+ room resort in Bali and by day 2 the breakfast staff were calling me by name from then on for the rest of our 7 day stay.
Also I can't say I noticed all the smiles from the staff. Reception people barely acknowledged our presence when we walked through on our way out and in. And these were times when they were not serving other guests or on the phone.
I guess a lot of what I am complaining about is my own perception of how we were treated. The room was fine, the food was fine. But as I mentioned: it was the service level I believed we would get that made me select Casa Del Mar. To be honest, we also stayed in KL in the Shangri-la and also Traders hotel. I felt more welcomed each morning to breakfast and when we left and came back to the hotel than I did at Casa Del Mar. Considering we paid about the same each night for all the hotel rooms, we had luxury in KL but the most basic room in Casa Del Mar.
Based on this, I think I would go for the luxury resort next time considering it would cost us about the same but we would get a bigger room, with more extras thrown in. It's not true that you get a more personal service from a smaller hotel. I say this on my own experience after this stay on Langkawi.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank OzzieMuse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
The Hague
Reviewed January 8, 2014

It was nice to return and see many familiar faces amongst the staff. This time there was more storage space in the room. We love the big towels, cinnamon soap and the nice shampoo. Also the cookiejar filled with nice cookies was still there. Food from La Sal is nice especially the Australian beef, tuna tartar and the chocolate pudding. At breakfast it was nice to make a selection of nice fruit which will be cut and brought to your table by an always smiling and happy person. The sun loungers and big umbrellas are great. Having Christmas dinner at the beach is special. Do not forget to make a reservation at the Spa to meet Rajes and her team. Unfortunately we could not go for a Castaway picnic because it was fully booked. We miss our home by the sea.
Saskia & Ron

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice and have something special
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in a beach front room. The hotel was lovely, def worth all the great reviews it has on trip advisor! The staff were all very friendly and made an effort to greet us by name when they saw us.
The food at breakfast was amazing, pancakes were to die for, and there were a lot of choices. We also ate lunch by the pool and dinner on the sand. All the food was of a very high standard.
The room was very clean and I loved the small touches such as the scented bookmark dropped in each night with the next days weather report and the turndown service. The staff also know how to be attentive without being intrusive.
The pool and beach area was immaculate. We spent a lot of time just relaxing and reading at the pool, and were spoilt with all the iced water, fruit sticks and sorbet the staff brought around at various times.
I also personally liked the fact there were only a couple of children at this resort. It's an amazing place for "adult" time! The spa is worth a visit too and I brought some of their peppermint oil home with me as a reminder of this great place.
It is also an easy walks to explore other restaurants and shops in the area.
Stay here if you can, you won't regret it and like me you'll want to go back again!

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are lovely, and a bit quieter away from the pool area
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn H
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Good location, perfect size (small & intimate), nice sun loungers, very attentive and helpful staff, clean, decent rooms.

We liked the fact that you were away from the main area and that you could easily walk to restaurants on both sides of the resort. There was a sexual assault on the beach that we were told about by other travellers right before we went to stay at CDM which made me uncomfortable but we didn't encounter any dodgy situations and we felt safe walking on the beach and the road after dark.

The staff were excellent from the start to the end of our stay. They were particularly organised and discreet with respect to a special romantic request we had - thank you CDM staff!

We played games, read books, borrowed a movie and I had a spa treatment. The spa was decent but very popular so I would book early if you would like a particular service at a specific time while you are there. We were going to go biking but we spent a bit too much time relaxing on the beach. We didn't use the pool but it looks nice. There is more than enough to do to keep yourself busy for 5-6 days.

I have read the other reviews that say the food was fantastic but that was not our experience. I have to say that our meal on the first night was disappointing and that we steered away from eating at CDM for lunch and dinner after that but I agree that breakfast is fantastic. There's plenty of choice, the food is tasty, the environment is relaxing and the staff are very helpful. We ate out for the rest of our meals and there are enough decent options within a 20min walk so I would advise people to try a mix of CDM + restaurants outside of CDM even if you are just staying for one or two nights.

We are of the view that the cocktails need some work (although apparently other people think they are great) so we stuck to wine, beer and simple drinks like vodka + a mixer.

I would definitely recommend staying here if you are planning a trip to Langkawi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Constantlyontheroad
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We travelled to Casa del Mar for our honeymoon in December 2013 and had a wonderful time. We stayed 8 days and enjoyed everything about the resort especially the fact that it was small having only 34 rooms and a staff of 66. The little touches made it very special for us such as cool peppermint scented towels on the beach and at the pool, plus ice water and skewers of fresh fruit all complimentary.

Breakfast was fantastic! So many choices and all freshly cooked. The room was very comfortable with both air conditioning and fans, a wonderful comfortable bed and plenty of room for our clothing. The bed was turned down each night with a lovely bookmark scented with an essential oil left on the pillow, there was also a note with the weather report etc.

It would not be fair if we did not mention the wonderful, helpful and happy staff at the resort. Nothing was a problem and they were always prepared to go out of their way to ensure we felt comfortable. We loved that you could easily grab a sun chair under the lovely umbrellas on the beach and read and swim and completely relax.

We ate at the resort on a couple of occasions. The food was very pleasant, particularly eating on the beach in the evening. We also ate at several of the local restaurants which we thoroughly enjoyed.
The general area is not wealthy but the resort stands out like a beacon for relaxing, quiet and kind service where staff will go the extra mile to look after guests and do so in a happy manner.
We will certainly return for a further dose of Casa del Mar in the future.

3 Thank D W
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Since I prefer adventurous vacations, I figured I would get bored with five days of hanging out at a small place, but I thoroughly enjoyed whiling away the hours at Case Del Mar. We stopped by several 5 star hotels while we were on the island and they seemed rather instituional by comparison. Wonderful staff. Beautiful facility. A highlight of our recent trip to Asia.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JeffBBoston
Warwickshire, England
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Really friendly & helpful staff, good beachfront location, nice pool, plenty of sunloungers, excellent breakfast with a large choice of dishes cooked to order, quality restaurant with the option of dining on the beach, what's not to like ? - Pantai Cenang is a bit on the scruffy side and I got stung by a jellyfish. (The staff are trained to deal with this and treated me promptly and efficiently). We would definitely recommend Casa del Mar and don't understand the unfavourable reviews.

2 Thank Alan_490416
#8 of 103 in Langkawi
The Datai Langkawi
The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, Malaysia

Been to Casa del Mar, Langkawi? Share your experiences!