Due to illness this review is a little late as we stayed back in October as part of our honeymoon.
After reading so many positive reviews from other TA members, especially the feeling of being part of the family and the amazing friendly staff, we could not wait to get here and experience this for ourselves.
I guess reality is always a little different from the expectations one can build in the imagination. I think that's also why I was a little disappointed by the end of our stay.
This hotel charges pretty high prices for the rooms you get, but I wasn't so concerned about that as I believed it would be a trade-off with an amazing level of service from the staff and we would be welcomed almost like family as this is a very small hotel. Other reviewers have commented on how staff knew them by name and would smile and chat. Even the garden staff were all happy. Happy, happy, one big family.
We stayed 10 days and only once did one of the breakfast staff refer to me by name. And that was on the 2nd last day. Another staff member who had served us numerous times throughout our stay asked us if we were guests of the hotel on our 2nd last night when we asked him about making a reservation to eat in the restaurant. Hmm. Like I said, we had built up this expectation of being well known by name by the end of our trip. We did stay for 10 days after all. And there isn't that many people in the hotel. I am white and my wife is Asian. So as a couple we sort of would be memorable, I think. Considering there aren't many rooms at the hotel. In contrast, we also stayed in a huge 500+ room resort in Bali and by day 2 the breakfast staff were calling me by name from then on for the rest of our 7 day stay.
Also I can't say I noticed all the smiles from the staff. Reception people barely acknowledged our presence when we walked through on our way out and in. And these were times when they were not serving other guests or on the phone.
I guess a lot of what I am complaining about is my own perception of how we were treated. The room was fine, the food was fine. But as I mentioned: it was the service level I believed we would get that made me select Casa Del Mar. To be honest, we also stayed in KL in the Shangri-la and also Traders hotel. I felt more welcomed each morning to breakfast and when we left and came back to the hotel than I did at Casa Del Mar. Considering we paid about the same each night for all the hotel rooms, we had luxury in KL but the most basic room in Casa Del Mar.
Based on this, I think I would go for the luxury resort next time considering it would cost us about the same but we would get a bigger room, with more extras thrown in. It's not true that you get a more personal service from a smaller hotel. I say this on my own experience after this stay on Langkawi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The heart of Casa del Mar's (Spanish for ‘Home by the sea’) philosophy is to create unique experiences around individual guests, providing them with a tranquil hideaway. Offering sea view accommodation, innovative dining options and Spa facilities, the 34-room Casa del Mar is the perfect oasis for couples looking for a private and peaceful retreat. From its Mediterranean architecture to its cosy and aesthetically pleasing interior, Casa del Mar is a ‘highly individualised property’. At Casa del Mar, one can indulge in the personalised yet unobtrusive service designed specially to pamper the individual. Guests will be in for a real gastronomic experience with La Sal Restaurant where innovative & yet soul satisfying Mediterranean cuisine, seafood BBQ and Asian samplers will be served. Guests can choose to sit inside the restaurant, with interiors recreated to the splendour of a Californian winery or dine al fresco at the poolside or beachside. Casa del Mar offers one the tranquility of a private holiday home by day and subtle gaiety by night through entertainment and dining options. All traditional hospitality practices will be challenged such that every aspect of the property is in harmony with the objective of creating experiences around individuals. Please note that we specialise in couples and adults and do not offer cots or extra beds in guest rooms. Location: Located at the legendary island of Langkawi, northwest of Peninsula Malaysia, Casa del Mar sits along the island’s Pantai Cenang beach, which is a 10-minute ride from the Langkawi airport and within close proximity to Kuah town, the most popular entertainment area in Langkawi with a wide selection of restaurants and bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Fastbooking, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Casa del Mar, Langkawi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Del Mar Langkawi Hotel Pantai Cenang
- Casa Del Mar Hotel Langkawi
- Langkawi Casa Del Mar
- Casa Del Mar, Langkawi Pantai Cenang