“A little tired but still beautiful”

Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed January 29, 2006

My wife and i spent 12 nights at the Pelangi from the 12th to the 24th of January, we had spent the previous 5 nights at the Oriental in Singapore and our final 2 nights in the Shangri-la in KL and whilst the Pelangi is not in the same leauge as these 2 hotels you cannot compare 5* city hotels with a beach resort.

As beach resorts go the Pelangi is perfectly adequate with plenty of good points and some bad ones but after reading the 2 reviews dated the 10th and 17th of January we thought we would like to share our experience of our stay.

1. The gardens at the Pelangi are nothing short of superb and full marks to the team of people looking after them.

2. The beach is not the best on the island and your do need to keep something on your feet as the shells can be sharp, however the sand nearer the coconut trees is perfectly OK and if sea shells and tide breakers upset you, you could always lounge around one of the 2 beautiful pools on nice wooden furniture as the old metal ones are still used for the beach.

3.Lankawi airport takes 4 jumbos per week and around 6 smaller planes per day with the last flight being 9.30 PM, as the airport closes at 10.30 PM noise was not a problem.

4.Despite being on a room only basis We ate most nights a-la-carte at the resort and found the food to be really good quality and resonably priced compared to the U.K, we did try other places outside the resort and whilst they were cheaper we did not think the food was as good as the Pelangi or the standard of cleanliness was poor ( we went to the highly recommended lighthouse one evening only to be confronted with a fair number of cockroaches before we had even finished the menu selection and so headed back to the Pelangi were i can honestly say that in 12 nights we did not see any)

5.the rooms are a little gloomy and despite the fact that they are adequately tended to each day it was obvious from the dusty curtains and cobwebs behind the tv etc that they do not give a monthly spring clean and i think this lets them down a little.

6. noise can be a problem as the wooden walls / floors are very thin and on one occasion i had to ask the people down below us to keep the noise down, but this is the fault of thoughtless individuals and not the hotel and if the noise had persisted then i feel sure that reception would of sorted it out if required.

My wife and i have stayed at the Datai and the Andaman and found the staff at both to be snooty and most of the guests seem only concerned with whom is the richest and reminded me of strutting peacocks, all in all i prefer the relaxed atmosphere of the Pelangi, its staff and its location and whilst you only get what you pay for in this world i think you still get a little bit more for your money at the Pelangi.

39  Thank asia-crazy

Reviewed January 23, 2006

The staff at this hotel are just fantasic. We stayed in a Meritus Club room, well worth the extra cost.
You get access to the Meritus Club and have Breakfast and evening cocktails included. The staff just went that extra mile to deliver great service. We met the general manager Francois in the clubhouse.
The hotel grounds are well kept and I have been to many 5 star hotels in Asia. This hotel has the same standards but in a very relaxed manner.
The beach is not the best on the Island, however the hotel does have a fantastic location for eating out and experiencing local culture. Many place to eat, Bon Tons 10/10 however expect to pay £50 for 2 for a 3 course meal. Red tomatoe very good and cheap so was the beach front.
Great trip to go on is the cable car, get taxi from hotel. You can also walk up to the seven wells waterfalls from there.
Car hire also very easy and roads very quiet.
10/10 loved the island.

16  Thank JA/IRBolton
Reviewed January 22, 2006

After reading all of the reviews, I was excited about my stay at Pelangi. Perhaps my expectations were too high because I did not think that this hotel was "perfect" or "fantastic" as fellow travelers have posted here on this site. Here are my observations:
1. The rooms seemed very out of date and the bedding (70s retro and pretty gross) reminded me more of the Holiday Inns in Las Vegas than a resort.
2. The fitness center had all old equipment. Other than the newer treadmills, all of the other equipment in the gym again, reminded me of the 1970s.
3. While the staff was pleasant, I would not say that they went out of their way at all. In fact – the opposite: The babysitters showed up late, the maintenance man kept on ringing the doorbell incessantly even though I had the “do not disturb sign” on the door and my baby was sleeping, the gym staff member did not help me turn on the music or the TV even though it was obvious that it was his job (I was the only person in the gym at the time). The gym person in fact turned off all of the lights to get out of gym so I had to feel my way out and could not see the steps on the outside of the facility.

Good points:
1.Great food
2.Excellent spa

All in all, pay the extra money to go somewhere a bit better

8  Thank travelswithdogs123
Management response:Responded February 7, 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I sincerely apologies if, in any way, we did not performed to your satisfaction.

I am pleased to inform you and other guests that by March 1st 2006 we will start our room refurbishment.
Pelangi is one of the most established resorts on Langkawi and enjoys strong support from return customers. It is important that we continually maintain and improve our facilities for our guests. While our guestrooms are well
maintained, we have made the decision to upgrade them to make them more contemporary for our tropical location and to introduce a few new guest facilities in line with worldwide hospitality trends.

The rooms will be refurbished with the best local products to give them a more spacious feel. This includes lighter wood tones and fabrics as well as some structural changes to the rooms.

Guest comfort is always our first priority and as the work on the chalets will be staggered we will be able to keep our guests free of any
disturbances while having the work done quickly.

I do personally apologies for the poor service treatment you suffered in our Heath club which is absolutely unacceptable and you can rest assure that no stone shall be left unturned to ensure that all our guests receive only the
very best from all of us when staying with at Pelangi.

I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to prove to you that such incident was only a most unfortunate accident.

Wishing you a wonderful day
Sincerely

Francois G.Sigrist, PJK
Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi

A TripAdvisor Member
Derbyshire, UK
Reviewed January 21, 2006

My partner and I were married at Pelangi Beach on the 29th March 2005. We had a two centre holiday and stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur before flying on to Langkawi. The Pelangi was a little tired by the Mandarin Oriental standards and on our initial arrival this worried us, however we need not have worried. The staff at the Pelangi went to great trouble to ensure that our wedding was perfect. I cannot stress enough how hard the staff worked or how wonderful our wedding day and infact the whole holiday was. The Pelangi is in need of a little refurbishment, but the fact that the staff were great, pools incredibly clean, food excellent and that Langkawi was so unspoilt and safe made up for it. We are going back this year in April and cannot wait. What we particularly loved is that we could walk on the beach and no one tried to sell you anything and that the staff at Pelangi genuinely want you to have a great time and don't hassle you for tips unlike many other places that we have been . The beach is clean, but if you want to swim in the sea I would not recommend it here as the sea is rather murky. If you want a quiet,laid back family holiday (we took our two teenagers who loved it)with sheer relaxation, good food and fantastic value for money I would recommend Pelangi.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 21, 2006

January 2006 we stayed for one week at Pelangi,and we enjoyed every minute. The hotel is located on the favorite beach of the ısland and is very central. We booked 2 garden view rooms, when we arrived we saw that our rooms were facing a wonderful garden but at the same time had a little bit of sea view. The rooms were big,comfortabile with huge verandas. As a family we enjoyed the pool very much. The staff was very kind and helpful. A lovely place for those who wish to visit Langkawi.

9  Thank Adalet
Reviewed January 16, 2006

First of all the sea s---- and it was very shallow , dont go to swim there .. the beach few km ahead had a better sea.The breakfast was ok but not super , the restaurants are so so , the rooms were so dark if you do stay in the entrance (1st floor) the room is very low but the second floor has a nice height . The rooms are big and does have nice balcony. 1,2,4,6 buildings does have enormous traffic noise that comes from the main road , if you will stay there good luck in your sleep or take something for your ears not to hear.. the rooms 47-51 and 24-32 are so far from the sea and reastaurants but you can rent a bike .. 16 and 18 has too much noise comming from the live music in the lobby so not so much alternatives are left to have a good room but the ones near by the lake and on the beach are good. There are insects so get some repeller sprey . Must rent a car as it is very cheap.Go to northern part tanjung rue is a nice resort and can go have some food and swim .. you do not need to see the pregnat women lake , but must see the island plua intan besar .. super with very nice sea to swim , must go to cable car a nice trip ... in the hotel all the employees are very nice and friendly but if you ask toı me I would not go there for the second time..Bon ton was good but not superb , there was to many mosquitos , the restaurant near the pelangi is superb .. with good service.. the japaneese please make a reservation as we could not find any table.. although I have asked reception of pelangi to make a reservation they have said no need but yes you should call by your self..

6  Thank Ercin M
A TripAdvisor Member
United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2006

Beach was being dug up in front of us, sand obviously still piled up from the Tsunami, lots of the nice sand has been washed away leaving shells and small stones. Water is dirty, Jellyfish everywhere and dangerous currents, a caution flag was never removed from the beach! This in not a langkawi thing, on the North side the water is crystal clear, beautifull white sands, Pelangi beach needs some serious investment and the Hotel need to learn how to interact with the beach more and to get some new furniture.

Breakfast is a complete waste of money, service and food very very poor, this is NOT a 4 star hotel. The cost of breakfast can buy you a 3 coarse meal for two with Cocktails so hire a car and drive to a local cafe, if you have not booked this hotel just stay in another one where breakfast in the hotel does not upset you before your day has started. Driving down the road to buy breakfast in a basic cafe is not as relaxing as I have experienced in the past.

Being wooden the rooms suffer from noise problems, listening to the couple next door getting jiggy at 8am did not impress me at all, luckily my 7 year old son was still asleep!!

back to the beach....imagine thick metal poles(a water breaker) 3 feet high cutting along the beach then into the water right across the main view of focus that Pelangi was bosting as one of the best Beaches on the Island, we hired a car and drove around the entire Island looking for better beaches in desperation and I can confirm 100% that this is THE WORST BEACH in the whole of Langkawi, there were even dead cats floating around in the water.

Noise, If you look on a MAP you will also see that you are on the main flight path for Langkawi Airport so if the noisey jet ski's and strong smell of diesel has not upset you whilst sunbathing then jumbo jets flying past all day will probably top you off.

Pelangi ruined our holiday, we had to spend a fortune paying off our own backs to go and stay in the Datai on the North side of the Island, this was to die for but the Bill was very high however at least we walked away feeling good about the experience.

Pelangi looks like it was probably the best 20 years ago, without some serious money being spent on the entire complex from the beach to the staff and the chefs I would avoid this resort for safety.

From the UK its a long way to gor for such a run down complex.

Thanks, hope I have just saved you some money.

• Stayed: December 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded January 18, 2006

Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to express our most sincere apologies, if we did not, somehow met your expectation.
I sincerely regret that we did not had the opportunity to meet personally and resolve or clarify some of the issues promptly to ensure you had a pleasant and memorable stay with us.

Please allow me to explain on your comments with regards to the beach. Yes, I have to acknowledge that our beach is covered with lots of beautiful seashells in different shapes, depending on the time of the year. It is probably one of the reasons our sand is fine and white. It is also a great attraction for guests and locals to collect the shells in the early morning.

Concerning the jellyfish, it is a seasonal occurrence and I am glad to say it is not as frequent, thus it is safe for the guests to swim in the sea but we always prefer to caution all our guests of the potential risk.

Also we have a wave breaker at some part of our beach to protect our beach from erosion caused by strong waves during the monsoon season. It was also honestly very helpful during the tsunami in 2004. We have built the small sand dune in front of the wave breaker to enable guest to see only sand and sea from afar and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Concerning our Breakfast, I am, again, very sorry if we did not meet your expectations and would like to assure you that I will personally review with my team your comments to ensure that all our guests receive only the very best from all of us.

Once again, I sincerely regret for any discomfort we may have caused you but would nevertheless appreciate another opportunity to serve you again.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year, full of Joy, Happiness, Success and Good Health!

Have a wonderful week ahead.

Very sincerely,

Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang
Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!