“Peaceful Paradise”

Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Stayed at Pelangi for 10 nights at the beginning of November and fell in love with the place. The hotel, beach and grounds were fabulous. We hired a jeep from the hotel and visited The Andaman and had lunch at the Datai Hotel and although beautiful hotels I was so glad that we hadn't stayed in either of them as they were very isolated. At Pelangi a walk along the beach brought you to the Beach Garden Restaurant. Try it. It is the most perfect place.Especially at sunset. Try the Garlic Prawns and the soups!! Superb. The Laman Ria across the road from Pelangi also serves fantastic food, but watch out for the chillies. Try the jet ski at Pelangi this is also great fun. My daughter still can't believe I tried it.
The cocktails served at Pelangi are a must. We tried most of them. Especially try the Pelangi Fling cocktail. All of them are served with style and are very cheap.
The group in the cocktail bar do a fantastic job. So if you go say hello to them from me. I was the lady who danced to most of their songs even on my own some nights. If you are at Pelangi PLEASE PLEASE dance to their songs. They do appreciate you dancing!!!
I would love to revisit this hotel and would recommend it to everyone.

18  Thank Kat868

Reviewed December 10, 2005

My wife and I have just returned from a 10-day stay at the Pelangi Beach following four days in Kuala Lumpur. Having decided on the Pelangi after reading many posts on Trip Advisor, I am pleased to say that we were not disappointed.

We stayed in a deluxe sea facing view room, which turned out to be virtually on the beach with fantastic views of nearby islands and of course the Langkawi sunsets. The hotel staff were the most friendly we have experienced, with everyone speaking as you walk through the beautiful grounds on your way to or from your Malay style accommodation. As many posts here have described, the rooms are over two stories, we had an upstairs room with the high wood ceilings and well worth requesting if you have the choice.

The hotel restaurants were of a really good standard and very reasonably priced. We can recommend the Thai restaurant in particular. If you fancy a night in, room service is also prompt and reasonably priced; you can even raid the mini bar without worrying about credit card damage (that’s of course if you have forgotten to get stocked up from the ridiculously cheap duty free shops where a beer will cost 1.50 Ringgits!). There are of course many local restaurants in Patai Cenang. These are just a few minutes walk along the road or beach from the Pelangi. If you don’t fancy walking grab a cab, as they will only cost you 5 Ringgits for a local trip.

If you prefer to eat in local restaurants a word of warning, don’t eat at the Bon Ton first or you won’t eat anywhere else, it is top class and probably one of, if not, THE best place I have eaten! This is one cool place that consists of a bar, restaurant and accommodation in traditional Kampung Houses. For a treat, try to stay here for a couple of nights before moving onto the Pelangi, which is just a couple of minutes down the road.

The beach at the Pelangi seemed to have a great mix of tourists, travellers and locals with BBQ’s, beach football and volley ball kicking into action in the early evening, grab a cool drink and soak up the atmosphere as the sun sets, fantastic.

As others have mentioned, driving on Langkawi is easy, so if you fancy getting out and about, hire a car for a day or so. We had 1 days hire for 140 Ringgits. Don’t miss the cable car and some of the beautiful beaches on the North of the Island, the Tanjung Rhu probably being the exact island image of clear blue sea white sand and palm trees.

The north of the island is home to some of the top 5 star hotels such as the Datai and The Andaman. We had a quick nose around and yes they are fantastic but they just didn’t have the charm of the Pelangi. Fine if you want absolute luxury and quiet for a few days and are not particularly interested in leaving the hotel (as there’s not much around them!), but not really for us.

If you want to stay in a good standard friendly hotel, with beautiful grounds and traditional accommodation in a great location, you wont find better than the Pelangi.

19  Thank SimonHitch
Reviewed December 10, 2005

We stayed here because of the location,superb staff fantastic pool with swim up bar,nice happy hour on at the beach bar well recomended.
The facilites are excellant. small steam room but nice and hot.
Our room was overlooking the pond. nice bed large and roomey.
Try the restaurants across the road the 'Padi' is good with friendly staff, my wife even ended up the kitchen for a brief cooking lesson.
The pool staff and beds are great they even come round with a little flag for your sunbed to put up if your hungry or thirsty.
Try the beach barbi at least once.
I also recommend a trip up the cable car, a bit scary if its windy.
Overall a fantastic hotel to relax. just enjoy it.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lebanon
Reviewed December 6, 2005

I visited Malaysia in August 2005 for my honeymoon and stayed in Pelangi Beach Resort in Langkawi.
Overall the hotel was very nice. Rooms are spacious and people were generally friendly. The one drawback was that our room was way far from the entrance and we had to walk to reach it.
The hotel has 2 pools (did not try them) and has a very nice beach, but no one seems to be swimming.
I would definitly recommend this hotel but try to get a room close to the entrance.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 22, 2005

I stayed at this hotel between the nights of 15th to 17th of November in a seaview room.

The hotel has been designed keeping a Malay village in mind so there is a lot of dark wood all over the place. The rooms either face the hotel pool, lake or the sea and the place is very big, sometimes requiring the hotel golf cart to get around.

We checked in without any troubles. The staff is accomodating but not all of them speak English to the same standard so making yourself understood is a bit of a problem at times. Room service, laundry calls etc are however extremely prompt which is an achievement considering the size of the resort.

Ok now the room: They are spacious, clean and basic. There is no bathtub, instead its standing showers all the way. Air conditioning, in room safes and mosquito repellers are provided although I would suggest that upon checking in, you request the upper portion of a particular chalet as you will be less bothered by the exotic insects. By the way, even if you have a beer from the mini bar in your room, its only 5 ringitts($1.5 USD).....welcome to the duty free life!.

The hotel restaurants are pretty good in terms of value for money and quality of the food. The buffet breakfast is in the Spice Market (or was it Garden) and I would suggest that you pick a spot outside the restaurant as you get a good view of the pool. There is live music on in both this restaurant and the lounge in the evening.

I rented a car from the airport (Nissan Sentra 1.6 automatic) for 160 ringitt for 2 days ($42 USD). Of course, it was only insured after an excess of 2000 ringitts (payable by you in case of an accident). But I wouldnt worry too much as driving around Langkawi is a joy. The roads dont have much traffic and well marked with signs etc so you dont have to worry about getting lost. I easily found the way to the hotel from the airport and the drive is under 10 minutes.

I would recommend renting a car because you would spend more money on cabs with less freedom in catching sights along the way.

The location of the hotel is very good. Close to the airport and eating out places (5 minutes walk), underwater complex and the cable car is not too far away. There is a also a go-kart track right down the road and if you are a bunch of people, that would be a good place to give rise to those competitive instincts (around 35 ringitts for 10 minutes).

I drove around and saw the other resorts. The Datai was nice but its a bit out of the way and more pricey but the place to go if you are an avid golfer as they have one of the only two golf courses on the island. All in all, I would definitely recommend the Pelangi resort.

16  Thank CynicISB
Reviewed November 15, 2005

My partner and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Pelangi. What a fabulous place. Its in an ideal location, close to the airport, close to local shops and restaurants(of which there are many)and on the beach. Also ideal for exploring the island. As we had just done a hectic 3 nights in Kuala Lumpur and then 3 nights in Singapore so this was the perfect place to sit back and unwind.

Reception was unlike any other place we've been. Malay style so it is dark wood but its all open to the elements so no doors or windows and it just feels so big and airy.

Pools both fantastic and the sand on the beach was a soft as flour. It did have lots of shells in some places but hey its a beach, what do you expect!

Food was fabulous. Ate in all 3 restaurants on site and couldnt fault any of them. All you can eat BBQ a must, theres just something about sitting on the edge of the beach eating meat and fish that has just been cooked for you! Pool bar suberb. All more expensive than the restaurants either down the beach or down the road but worth it. If you do take a walk down either try RosTea, Chomper Chomper or Red Tomato. Especially liked RosTea where we were having 4 beers/wines, 3 thai dishes plus rice for around £8.

Rooms were a little bit of a let down. Lovely sizes, massive bed but I do feel they need updating. Again they are Malay style so lots of dark wood. (I do think that the fact we had spent the three days prior to this in The Shangri-La in Singapore added to the let down as the rooms here were pure luxury, with remote control curtains, lights etc and even a choice of the type of pillow you could have!) Air con also a little noisy. Saying that it still wouldn't put me off returning to the Pelangi because in reality how much time do you actually spend in your room. I must add that they were spotlessly clean and there was maid service twice a day. (once to make the bed and clean & once to turn down your sheets at night)

The grounds were immaculate, even down to a man sweeping up the leaves as they fall off trees (a never ending job in the gardens of the Pelangi I would imagine).

The staff were the friendliest, most polite people I have ever met. Nothing is too much trouble and if your unsure what something is or want something cooked a certain way just ask.

We definitely could have spent the whole seven days by the pool or on the beach but do try and get out. We hired a 4wd from the hotel and toured the island. The cable car is awesome, though scary! Do go up to the top station and walk to & across the suspension bridge. Views are to die for and the fauna and flora beneath you is fabulous. The waterfalls are great too but i think it depends on the time of year. Also the Mangrove Tour is a must, we booked with the hotel but it was cancelled because you need at least 4 people on the trip. We rearranged it with our Rep for the following day and were so glad we had done so. Our trip included Eagle feeding, monkey feeding, a visit to the bat caves, a meal at the Thai Barn & a swim on a deserted beach (not that any of the beaches we visited were packed!) All awesome.

All in all & after driving round the island and looking at other hotels I would say the Pelangi is top notch. You cant fail to go here and not be swayed by the beauty and tranquility of the place. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

20  Thank 590RS
Singapore
Reviewed November 11, 2005

We stayed in Pelangi from 08 to 11 Nov 05. Initially, we have some reservation about the hotel after reading some negative review about the room. But I'm glad we gave it a try.

The service is impeccable. The hotel ground is beautiful and the room besides being a bit dark is great. We stayed in the deluxe sea-facing room (block 5, single storey) and the view is breathtaking. The room is big, bed is huge and is very clean. Don't worry about mozzie, I did not get biten at all.

We went touring a few hotels and if you are looking for value for money, I think Pelangi is the best choice. Casa Del Mar is great too but the room is smaller and the pool is small. Being a boutique hotel, you don't get a "spacious" feel as you will find guest at all corners. Tanjung Rhu Resort offers the best beach. We find Andaman exclusive and attractive and will likely to gve it a try in our next trip.

Activities: Snorkelling in Pulau Payar Marine Park is a must. Would suggest opting package tour from Langkawi Coral instead of Langkawi Island. A day trip is about 180 to 220 ringgit. Langkawi Island is half the price but offers lunch pack instead of lunch buffet and no platform. Cable car is also another must go.

Restaurant: Please make time for Barn Thai (Thai cuisine) and Unkaizan (Japanese). They serve the best food in Langkawi. A meal for 2 cost about 150 to 200 rinngit for each of these restaurant.

Stayed: November 2005
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang
Four Seasons Resort Langkawi, Malaysia

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!