“Fourth stay coming up.”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
King Island Australia
“Fourth stay coming up.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

My wife and I have our (fourth) holiday at Meritus booked and paid for. We stayed twice before all the rooms were re-furbished and once since. We love the huge grounds, you never feel crowded, yet some have complained about the loooong walk to breakfast....honestly! We have found most of the staff to be friendly, obliging and efficient, some are just wonderful and great fun. Yes, breakfast is often busy, it's a popular resort and often full. We love the range of food at breakfast, it sets you up for the day. The resort is located at the quiet end of the beach, a God send we feel, yet a stroll along the beach brings you to heaps of bars and restaurants, one has a Happy Hour from 11am 'til 6pm with beers at 4 ringits ($1.35, God help my liver). We have travelled lots and find Meritus offers excellent value for a relaxing holiday. See you in July Thomas and your great staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CharlieandAli
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear CharlieandAli!
Thanks for your review and the loyalty showing to our resort. We are glad to learn that you'll be back and look forward having you here again!
Take care and again, my sincere Thanks!
T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shepparton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had a great stay at the Meritus (2 couples holidaying together). We spent 7 nights in pool view rooms & had hoped to get rooms next to each other on the bottom floor. That wasn't possible, but we were happy with one up stairs (great view of the cascade pool) and one down. The rooms we're clean and roomy with a particularly big bathroom. We spent a lot of time in the Cascade pool, which catered for couples & families alike. The breakfast buffet was plentiful (a great range of western & local options), but a bit of a bun fight. The black coffee offered is pretty ordinary, though you can ask staff for lattes & cappuccinos, which are reasonable. Our only real criticism is that service around the resort could be sluggish at times (room service & golf carts). The Meritus is a good all-rounder positioned on the best beach in Langkawi (think soft, white sand) and we had a great time here :)

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Nella_85
thanks for your kind review. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and will hopefully return.
Penang Island, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I spent 4N here for a company event which did not allow us much time to explore the resort thus my comment is only limited to my room and what I came across in my 4N here.

I thought I was lucky having a room so close to the lobby and breakfast area. For that I appreciate otherwise it could be a long walk or a long wait for buggy from the room to the lobby.

Upon entering the room without the air-cond on I can smell the cockroaches smell and it's confirmed by the sighting of the cockroach trap in the bathroom. Once the air-cond is on the smell is masked and I thought I can live with it since I'm not spending too much time in the room anyway.

On the first night after a late night out I came back to the room to find a cockroach crawling on the floor. I had to call the reception to send someone to catch the cockroach which he did swiftly. On the second night as I was about to lie down in bed to sleep I saw a cockroach crawling on top of the roof above me. At 12 midnight again I had to call the reception to send someone over and catch the cockroach. It completely spoilt my sleep and my stay in this supposedly 5 star hotel.

Two reported cases two nights in a row and not a single apology from the management. If I'm staying here for a private vacation I would have moved out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear SeasonTraveller17
I apologize for the unpleasant encounter you faced while staying with us. We have weekly pest-control rounds to minimize the presence of bugs and insects, alas in your case we must have missed your chalet. I have spoken to the Exec. Housekeeper to make sure our guest do not have these "surprises" in the future. Thank you for bringing it up.
Gold Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel is 5 star in terms of facilities, service and location. The staff are very helpful and professional. We asked to move rooms due to noise from the people in the room above us - this was accommodated very willingly. We asked for a oil burner to freshen the room and within minutes housekeeping arrived with a smile. The food is amazing - best buffet we have ever seen or eaten! Very fresh, amazing selection and delicious. We also ate at CBA - their stunning beach club. The bathrooms are lovely - the rooms are a nice size but are the only area where I would say that the resort could improve - they need a freshen up. Overall, we only have positive memories to take away with us. Do yourself a favour and go and eat at the following: Sugar, The Cliff, Bon Ton, Casa Del Mar and take a drive out to Datai Bay and eat at The Andaman. If you Like fine dining DO NOT bother going to the Main Street in Pentai Cenang - u pay much the same prices as the classier restaurants and the food and environment is not pleasant. The night markets which move around the island each night are a good experience for local food. The shopping on Langkawi is appalling - duty free ( other than the VERY cheap alcohol) is a joke. There are absolutely no decent clothing stores. Go to Langkawi to relax, eat, drink and be merry! It is very beautiful and romantic.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bolynn B
Dear Bolynn B
I appreciate your kind review and comments. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay, tried the best places in Langkawi and liked them - great!
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

I have read some ridiculous reviews of this place, with one person saying the beach is unswimmable! People are soooooo fussy and pick on the slightest things. We are from Brisbane, Australia, which is close to the best beaches in the world, and, I can tell everyone, that the beach here is great. Swam in the sea today. It isn't a surf beach, but it is clean and sandy and the water is great. The hotel is fine...a big family friendly resort and close to the beach nightlife. The roms are spacious, the service is good and the staff are friendly. Thomas, the GM, is always out and about and very visible. So, don't listen to the whining about bugs, noisy fans and the other rubbish that people talk about. We have 4 more nights here and we are loving it.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms ... Second floor are great.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Mike S
Dear mikulspikul
... we love you too!!! Thanks so much for your kind review und nice comments! Please come back when you are in Malaysia the next time.
Co Antrim Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed for 6 nights with my husband.
No welcome drink and cool towel at check in this time.

We upgraded to the Meritus Club and were very pleased that it was even better than last year.
There were no children this time , last year there were unsupervised children running about, playing on the computer and doing what children do, which is fine in the Kids Club, but not what you expect when you pay extra to upgrade to use the Meritus Club.

They have added an egg station at breakfast so you can have your eggs cooked to order.
Great selection of breakfast items and a coffee machine, evening drinks and snacks were excellent.

We had room 3308 which was a top floor room near the Cascade Pool, very well appointed and very quiet.
We were not aware, before arrival, that the Horizon Pool was being renovated( last year the Cascade Pool was being renovated when we were there!), but there were always lots of beds and umbrellas.
Cascade Pool was very nice to swim in and had a swim up bar. They also serve snacks during the day.
Buggy drivers, especially Ismail were all friendly and if you were walking they would stop to see if you would like a lift.

Had a great massage at the Spa and it was reasonably priced.
Hope to go again next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sentosa54
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear sentosa54
Thanks for the kind words about our resort. I am glad both of you enjoyed our resort again and for being loyal guests. Sorry about the welcome drink and cold towel omission. I'll get that fixed!
Alexandria, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Good resort with good beach ,the stuff and room service was pretty good with excellent sea food menu ,the beach was fairly good with many activities and entartainments and relaxing atmosphere to ones who seek relax and laying thier backs beside sea water

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yasso83
Dear yasso83
thanks for your positive review of our resort. Its good to learn that you enjoyed Pelangi and Langkawi in general.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 100 in Langkawi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!