“We enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Derbyshire
“We enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

We rated this hotel 4 star rather than 5 as we felt that there were areas of the hotel that needed refurbishment. The main pool was being renovated whilst we were there and I was anxious that the Cascade Pool would be overcrowded as it was school holidays but this was not the case. We were able to find a lounger either at the pool or on the beach whenever we wanted. Our room was lovely, spacious and everything worked well with bathroom looking directly over the beach and sea. We were given a family room but I would have preferred a double as the double and twin rooms had a bigger balcony. The rooms are in Malay houses and certainly, at our end of the beach, were set far enough apart to give a feeling of spaciousness.
The staff at this hotel are excellent, nothing is too much trouble. We were welcomed into the hotel by staff who took us to sit down in the lobby and gave us a refreshing drink whilst all the paperwork was dealt with. Yes, we did have to wait a short time for a buggy on the last day but it only took around 10 minutes and we had asked well in advance for one, so no problems there. We really enjoyed our stay and the hotel is near enough to Pantai Cenang just to walk out of the hotel for a choice of shops, restaurants and bars. We explored other hotels during our stay and we were pleased with our choice of hotel and location.

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet go for a beach front room. We stayed in room 4102 which had steps from...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CountryLover51
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear CountryLover51
Thank you for your kind review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry for the pool renovation, but it had to be done.
I hope to be able to welcome you back!
Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tehra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed at this resort for our 10th wedding anniversary. I booked about 2 months in advance and when I gave our arrival time at the airport throught to the hotel on the Monday, before we arrived on the Friday, I got a confirmation that they will fetch us at the airport and then only they informed me that their main pool (Horizon pool) will be closed from the day after our arrival until after our departure! I was really very unhappy about this, as part of our decision to stay at this resort was based on this nice pool area and the kids play area at the pool. Needless to say, that my daughter was in tears when we informed her that she can not use the facility the day after our arrival. I also chose this resort because of the Kiki club for kids. However, almost all of the daily activities for the kids you have to pay for! So no kids at the kids club and my daughter was again unhappy as she had to spend the whole day with her parents. I feel that the hotel is not informing potential guests about these things and decisions to stay at the resort is made, with the wrong information.
I was also very disappointed when we arrived at 15:00 and after check-inn our room was not ready yet. I booked a lake front room, but we got a Cascade pool facing room. I requested a ground floor room with a King size bed, but upon arrival was told that the ground floor room have 2 single beds, so we had to go upstairs to get a king bed. I requested a roll-away bed for my daughter, but we had to ask them for this by 18:00 as there was nothing yet. We were promised a fruit basket and sparkling wine upon arrival in our room, but there was nothing! This only arrived on the Monday eventually and we received a cake the following day, wich was really delicious.
The website promises wi-fi through out the resort. This is not true. The wi-fi at the Cascade pool is not good and in the room we had no wi-fi. They tried to fix it, but could not. The cba bar is great in the evenings, unfortunately the mosquitoes are so bad that we found it difficult to finish our drinks!
There are a few positives I can mention: The guys driving the golf carts are so friendly, thank you guys! The lady cleaning our room was also very friendly, this is much appreciated. On the actual day of our anniversary, our bed was made up with flowers and we received a note from housekeeping, Kumar Afifi. Thank you very much, this was really appreciated.
Breakfasts are not too bad. The first 2 days they had good breakfast cereal, All Bran, but then unfortunately it was finished for the rest of the week. The selection is good. The barbeque dinner was also very good.
All in all, it was not aweful, but I was very disappointed. Not what I expected and I do not think that I will go there again. I booked the family package but I fail to see any benefits from this, accept a daily ice-cream for my daughter and a dinner for me and my husband. Not worth the money we had to pay.

1 Thank kmdek
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear kmdek
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and apologize sincerely for the short-comings you encountered.
We are taking these comments very seriously as they help us to focus our training to those areas.
Again, my thanks!
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

A nice well spread out property with large rooms. A gorgeous beach and a nice big pool. Do try for a beach facing room if the budget allows..the views are spectacular..especially the sunset.

Our stay was very short so can't comment on all facilities ...But I can say that for a five star property, housekeeping wasn't up to the mark. For instance after the room is cleaned all supplies (towels, coffee tea etc) are not replaced. When supplies are requested, it takes a long time to arrive. When I needed water at 11pm, no one attended the phone either in the housekeeping section and more shockingly, even in the reception. My thirst, that night, remained un-quenched.

The system at the reception is quite crazy...the staff take ages with each guest and only the guest ,they are dealing with , is seated ....the rest of us are supposed to stand in queue until our turn comes. The lounge chairs are far away and if we go and sit there we lose our turn in the queue. I felt this was quite ridiculous for a five star resort. The concierge is often unmanned and service is not always with a smile.

Breakfast was only slightly above average....

Though the property is well maintained, some of the artificial lakes and streams are downright filthy and should be cleaned up. And if you like your room really cold (like I do) you may find that because of the large size of the room, the AC only cools the room and never gets it really cold.

Patai cenang market is only a short walk away from the resort though the choice of restaurants here though numerous are not too good as in Penang or KL.

I certainly don't regret staying choosing meritus pelangi...the beach was truly spectacular and the pool and room was nice. But if I do return to langkawi , I may try out another resort....

Room Tip: The sea facing rooms have a spectacular view....
Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank smammen
Dear smammen,
thanks for your review. I have discussed your comments with those departments mentioned to ensure better guest services in the future. Your observations help us to concentrate on those areas.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed in Meritus for 3 nights. The hotel has good location, spacious room. Breakfast is very good as well, has a variety of choices for adults / kids. The beach is clean and beautiful but not many ppl were using it.

The downside is about the service. We need to call at least twice for every request, like provide room clean service. I ordered a birthday cake for my son at the lobby but it went nowhere. I might choose another hotel if come back to Langkawi in the future.

1 Thank Echo1207
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Echo1207
Thank you for the review. I regret the disappointing service experience you had and have discussed the situation with those concerned. for improvement.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the non-d4elivery of your son's birthday cake - SORRY!
Warm regards!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed again in Pelangi for a weekend chill. Nice new CBA beach outlet watching the sunset. Great beach and service. Food could be improved. Great location to Langkawj night life at pantai cenang.

Rooms recently refurbished. Pool now renovated. Gym with glass wall facing the beach is a great place to keep fit.

Best hotel to stay in langkawj. Will definitely come back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JimmyKL
Dear JimmyKL
thanks for your kind words. I am glad to learn that you had an enjoyable return-trip to our resort.
Looking forward to welcoming you again soon!
T
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Me and my husband stayed in Meritus for 2 nights ( 15-17 March 2014). Changed 2 rooms. Both of them have the same problems.

I'm not going to tell you (as many did here) don't stay in this hotel because of the fan sound or the remote control of the AC doesn't work or the carpet has weird smell!!

Please read all my reasons which I believe all of them are very important to realize why I'm warning you that YOU SHOULD NOT STAY IN THIS TERRIBLE HOTEL!!

1- Dirtiest hotel ever:
Insects:
We literally have seen and killed all kind of insects in our room during our 2 nights stay. And you might think that as many resorts laying on the sea, you might see a bug here or there. BUT WAIT.
What I'm talking about is:
- Spider webs are every where in the room! (check pictures): When you see spider web some where you would know that this place has not been cleaned in ages! These webs are EVERY WHERE. On the door, near-under-above the bed, on the sealing. (check the pictures).

-Bugs on the mini bar (check the video): Small bugs (a lot of them!) are every where on the mini bar. When the room service lady was cleaning our room (I was watching her), she wiped the mini bar with a dirty rag, washed the cups in the bathroom, and that's it!
Once she left, I checked the mini bar and the bugs where still there. I decided to wipe it with my Dettol wet wipes and guess what?? The bugs are gone!

- Lizard in our room (check the pictures!!) : I really don't want to remember that night ever after writing this review! :(
First of all I saw a Lizard on the door of the room next to us. At night, I was brushing my teeth, praying for this nightmare to end. I saw a lizard behind me, standing on the bathroom door. I called my husband and when he opened the door to come in the lizard moved too fast and went out side to our room (near the bed). My husband killed it immediately. we called the room service to come and clean the carpet and take out the dead lizard. They came after we called them 3 times, they removed the dead lizard and that's it! So if you want to stay in this hotel, you have to know that you might be walking on a carpet that a lizard (god knows what else) was killed on it and not been cleaned!

Mosquitoes: You have to know that the hotel told us before we came that they will be spraying for insects from 14-16 March (the same days we where there). However, I haven't killed mosquitoes in my life as I killed in this hotel!! Actually, we spend our nights in this hotel killing mosquitoes and suffering from there bites!

"Cleaning service":
- Didn't change the bed sheets.
- Didn't change cups in the mini bar. Instead, she washed them in the bathroom.
- When we told her about the spider web on the door (before we noticed them every where else) she just removed it with her hand and that's it!
- Didn't change the bathrobes.
- You can see marks of dead bugs every where on the walls.
- Dirty floor, very dirty lamps (you can see the amount of the dust on it in the attached pictures. Even though it is worse than the pictures)

2- Very bad design:
- I think that they designed the room to be comfortable for bugs not for humans! The design of the wooden sealing, walls, windows are very good atmosphere for bugs to live. Especially with this cleaning services!! (check the pictures)

- In our room, there was a window on the sealing where the sunlight could wake you up with out permeation! No curtain to cover it. (check the picture)

- Even when you close the curtains there will still be a space for the light to come in. (check the pictures)

Other things bothered us:
- A wake up call at 6 a.m that we DIDN'T ask for.
- You should know that the breakfast will be very crowded at 10 so you have to go earlier.

"SPA":
I'm also warning you, this could be the worst spa experience ever! Reasons:
- Very bad room. I couldn't even feel safe in the room. It is very dark and dismal!
- No candles!
- Very bad smell!
- No music!! When I asked for music they said "The CD is broken..Sorry!"
So, I spent one hour hearing the window A.C terrible sound, scared and nervous from the darkness and the weird atmosphere instead of having a relaxing massage!

After all of that, I didn't mention what other people complained about like: Fan sound, A.C remote control problems, bad smell, poor toilet flush because I think that these where very simple problems to complain about comparing to what we have been through in this "Hotel".

This is absolutely not a 5,4 or even 3 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hadya_and_Bassam
Dear Hadya b
I am very sorry to learn about the unacceptable incidents you described in this review. Cleanliness and taking care of our guests has always been the first priority for us and I am somehow surprised how we could have failed so miserably in your case.
Again, my sincere apologies!
KNP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

Resort is well located bringing Goodness of both CENANG BEACH & CENANG TOWN.
Food is GOOd, Buffet dinner is very Nice, Rooms are spacious and well equipped, Breakfast is cumptious, however during our visit OPEN SWIMMING POOL was under maintainance but however the Beach was ON FULL SWING !!!!! CENANG beach is very well maintained and very clean, Resorts Room from 20XX onwards on the PRIVATE SIDE of the beach and very less crowded, however rooms from 12 are on the crowded end and near to the CITY STREET, so easily acceessible for Dinner.. WATER SPORTS are nice ,, REsort Staff and Cenang People are very courteous and polite....

Room Tip: 20xx onward are on the PRIVATE & 12xx onward are on Busy side of street....
1 Thank fahadahsan
Dear fahadahsan
I am glad to know that you had a very good holiday and enjoyed your stay with us.
Please come back next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 100 in Langkawi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!