“A Rating 6 Facilty with Rating 3 Human Power”

Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Reviewed October 29, 2013

It is such an amazing facility that I would definitely rate as a 6.
1- The top notch of this resort was actually the swimming pool beside the reception area. It was gigantic, with cold jaccuzzi and a nice well-designed kids pool area. This had a lot of water games, slides, levers, and more importantly the water bucket which splashes water every 2 minutes. Even grownups used to stand under that bucket. My wife enjoyed a batik class, which is taken on the side of the pool for a certain amount of money.
2- The Cba restaurant on the beach is amazing. We spent a night there, and the food was great, the waiters were friendly, and the band was amazing. I can't recall the band's name but they were two ladies and a gentleman, singing fantastic old songs. I notified the restaurant that it was my wife's birthday in short time, yet they were able to cheer her up with a small cake with happy bday wishes written on it and a song.
3- We were unable to reach Langkawi the first night of our reservation, so as a courtesy from the receptionist, we were upgraded to a sea view villa. The villa was amazing and spacious, with a nice bathroom, and two verandas. We liked its design, internally and externally. My daughter was even fond of the water tap and bowl used to clean the sand off our feet that she kept playing with it all day long.

However, I found some areas of improvement:
1- House keeping needed improvement. I don't know whether the villa was too big for them or not, but several housekeeping related issues appeared. For example, we left two empty glasses (that were full of coke) in the living room, next day we found two lizards inside them!! Problem is theses glasses were removed at the next night. We left the room three times, and every time we called the housekeeping to remove these glasses, till they finally removed them at night.
2- WiFi is not strong. Out of 7 nights it was only available for 3 nights. We complained about this, and the reception sent us a cable to hook in instead.
3- The restaurant is big, however we had to stay for long time to wait for a table at breakfast. The breakfast buffet needed improvement as well, as the variety of food is too poor. There are a lot of similar items, and lack of others, for example sausages, you might see them one day, and other days not, etc...
4- the resort is stretched, and the gymnasium is ta one end of it.

These four setbacks however won't ban me from visiting the resort again. As I said, it is a top notch fascinating place.

Room Tip: Choose a room beside the reception area, with a pool view. You will be using the pool more than the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Harfash4eveR
tm020847, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your constructive review of our resort. I am glad to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that we are seriously looking into the areas like Housekeeping to improve the guest experience overall.
Again my sincere thanks.

There are newer reviews for Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi

Reviewed October 25, 2013

A beautiful setting and superb location. First impressions were not good we arrived late and were kept waiting some time at check in. Eventually got to our beach view room to be greeted by the very noisy party being held near to our block. We returned to reception to complain and ask to be moved to be told the hotel was full and there was nothing available. We came to Langkawi to relax after a mad few days in Singapore. We we told it was a one off and would not be every night. Our room was in a great position but I'm sure previous guests had smoked within the room not pleasant smelling at all. We were never approached again throughout our stay offering us another room?? Like i said we came here to relax not spend the time in reception complaining. We very sadly arrived during Eid and it felt the whole of the Middle East had arrived in Langkawi at Pelangi beach resort. Our first breakfast experience was dreadful and left me feeling like I needed to move hotels. We continued with our stay hoping it to improve.....No the next day got worse. There was total chaos during breakfast time and staff were very much out of control of the situation. We were disgusted at the state of the dinning area and refused to return for breakfast. We made several attempts to report this to the manager who was never seen during this time at his vey large desk in reception. This left a very bad feeling with us. We continued with our stay as we were able to avoid the hoards at breakfast. generally the staff were friendly and helpful and our room was kept to a reasonable standard of cleanliness. Having bats nesting on the balcony resulted in bat droppings daily.
We ate in the spice restaurant a few times in the evening both the buffet and Al a carte and the food was very good.
The beach was stunning. However my husband made a daily rubbish collection of debris washed ashore over night. Surely this should be done every morning early by staff before guests are greeted with this. We did witness a tractor raking the beach on a few days of our 9 day stay but this was only Done outside the Cba not all along the resort?????
Would I return to this resort? No probably not. A beautiful setting but I feel the staff/management let this resort down. It needs a good shake up and it could become very nearly perfect.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lyn27Ivybridge
tm020847, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Lyn27Ivybridge!
Thank you for your constructive comments. They help us in improving areas we need to have better service delivery and customer satisfaction. Nevertheless we will improve those areas and hopefully will have the chance to see you again for a better experience.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

One of the excellent destination in the world I would love to visit again.
One thing to improve is the leisure center. It is quite old and require more activities for people who stay in the resort and doesn't want ti go out evening.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Mohamed Ayed A

Thank you so much for the "Perfect" rating. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We have completely renovated the entire resort, but the Leisure Centre is still to be done. We hope when you visit us again, we can present you with a fresh look there as well and more activities.
Thanks again.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just returned from a week long stay at the Pelangi staying in a 'Deluxe Garden View' room. We did have an enjoyable stay with the friendliness and efficiency of the staff being a major positive. Check in and check out was smooth and the golf cart transfer to the room a pleasant treat.

Our stay got off to a rather poor start as we had to change rooms twice, the first time due to an electrical fault and the second due to a smelly room (the previous guests had clearly ignored the non-smoking room policy). We were moved with good grace and it didn't cause a major problem. Once settled, we really enjoyed the comfy beds, big bathroom and nice view across the garden towards the lake. We had the 'family package' which entitled us to use of the Club Lounge - this meant avoiding the queues at breakfast, fruit, snacks and drinks throughout the day and a free bar and savoury nibbles in the evening; this was great and provided a really laid back environment in which to relax.

The hotels restaurants food was rather hit and miss as one night I enjoyed a great Beef Rendang and another I was served an inedible lamb masala (just bone and fat). Housekeeping was also inconsistent as on 3 occasions we returned to the room at 5:00ish to find the room in the same state we left it that morning. No major problem, just a little unexpected for such a resort.

The beach is really nice with the 'Cba' being a great place to have a drink and watch the sunset; the only problem is that it was really quiet with just a handful of fellow guests to watch the nightly band. There isn't really much else along the beach beyond the watersports hut apart from a few run down shacks and dilapidated hotels. It's a nice walk along the beach but you have to cut in to the main road to find any restaurants or bars. The guys at the watersports centre were excellent, guiding our son carefully through the process to really enjoy parasailing. The gym is well equipped and a very pleasant environment facing onto the beach. Both pools are stunning with the main Horizon Pool having a superb kids area and jet spa feature. The Cascade Pool has a great waterfall feature and swim up bar with a great burger and beer deal during happy hour.

Apart from the dodgy food and frustrating housekeeping issues, we had a great time and would recommend to others. We'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask what's available at check in, consult the resort map and identify your preferred spot. Rooms...
3  Thank dkz1412
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear dkz1412!
Thank you for your comments! I am sorry for the few thing we didn't get quite right, but your observations will help us to improve in those areas.
Again, my sincere appreciation and we hopefully will see you back!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights during my bday last week and we were truly glad we chose Meritus Langkawi for our vacation. From the start where I got down from the car with my baby in hand, we were given great service...a cold welcome drink was given immediately at the beautiful open lobby...and we were driven to our room in a buggy...and as my request, we were given room on the ground floor (ours was a chalet with only one floor...awesome)..there was a bday cake and bouquet (ordered by my husband) waiting for us in the room ;). ..the walk in wardrobe and bath was really spacious....Our package included a free dinner buffet for 2....andf the food was really great, including the buffet bfast which had a variety of food, catering for all....
Overall, a wonderful stay and we will not hesitate to go back again ;)

1  Thank Resh_8

A belated Happy Birthday from me as well!
I am happy to hear that your stay went without a glitch.... and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our resort.
Please do not hesitate to visit us again in the not-too-distant future.
Cheers!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed for 9 nights in October with my husband and two daughters (9years and 5years). We had a rough start admittedly with horrendous noise coming from the CBA Bar for the first two nights. This calmed down though and apparently happens once per month for the full moon party. I did complain and management came to our room to personally apologise which was appreciated. Something to be aware of though if you have one of the rooms near CBA Bar - check if the full moon party is on and dont expect sleep that night.

Other than that we had a great stay. We stayed in a Beach Front Room and I highly recommend these if you can afford the upgrade. The view from the balcony is lovely and the sea breeze is very much appreciated in the afternoons.

My children had a ball playing in the pools and the mini water park. There were lots of other kids around but if you wanted to escape the family scene, there were ample chairs lining the beach and another quieter pool down the other end of the resort. Kids also enjoyed the batik painting, hennae tattoos, kite flying activities. Kids club was a bit of a non-event and we only used it out of desperation a couple of times for short periods.

The room was very clean but not as big as we expected. Got very cramped once we added two rollaway beds for the kids. The bats were a little annoying as well. They were roosting in the eves of our balcony so they squawked and scratched around at night. They are not harmful at all though and very small.

Breakfast was ok. Plenty on offer but the same everyday. Food in general at the resort restaurants was tasty and reasonably priced. We mainly ate at the CBA Bar but also left the resort for dinner quite a few times. There are some great restaurants just down the road and it is a lovely walk along the beach to dinner.

The spa was not good (had a massage and a pedicure). Very expensive and the treatments not great. Much better service and price in the spa's on the main road.

Staff in general left me a bit cold to be honest. No-one seemed in a hurry to serve you and they were not as warm and friendly as I expected. We had just come from a week at Tanjung Rhu though and the staff there are exceptional so they had high standards to live up to.

We enjoyed our time here but I am not sure I would rush back to this resort. We much preferred Tanjung Rhu which was exceptional in every way.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Big resort so ask to see the map when you check in. Your room may be a long way from facilities. B...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the noise from the beach -bar, which we have managed to lessen for future parties.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay otherwise, and have shared your comments with my team for improvement in service-delivery and friendliness.
Thanks again!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The resort is on a lovely beach and the property is nice with clean spacious rooms. Great spread for breakfast and very nice pool as well.
The service was underwhelming, they seemed ill prepared to cope with the holiday crowd. It's a major attraction for middle eastern tourists during the Id holidays. Long waits to check in, service was not prompt and the beach was not clean enough. To demonstrate this, my kids and I spent half an hour one morning collecting debris from the beach and ended up with two bags full of garbage which we showed to the manager.
Also, there seemed to be a lot of jellyfish in the waters around. My niece got stung and so did another hotel guest which prompted us to stay out of the water.
As a responsible tourist I would avoid the mangrove boat trips which include feeding eagles and a bat cave. Tourist traps and all they do is pollute the beautiful mangroves and interfere with nature.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear skewedeye!
Thank you so much for the constructive review of our resort. The staffing issue we had due to the holidays has been rectified and should not be a concern any longer. Although we groom the beach daily - and so does the council - every new tide is bringing in rubbish.
The next time you come to Langkawi, and hopefully stay with us again, I recommend the Mangrove tour by kayaks, an eco-friendly way to see this unique environment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Tanjung Rhu Resort
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 104 in Langkawi
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!