“Very enjoyable stay, would stay again.”

Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Saitama Prefecture, Japan
“Very enjoyable stay, would stay again.”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had a very pleasant and enjoyable couple of nights at Meritus. The room was a Garden view newly refurbished room which was very clean and comfortable. The bath towels were fine but there weren't any hand towels, just face cloths. It wasn't a real problem anyway as we were able to get other towels for swimming etc. The check in and greeting was fine and a very nice gentleman drove us on a buggy to our room. We found the service and food at all the restaurants to be very good. We enjoyed swimming in the pool and at the beach. The sea was calm and good for people without good swimming ability. Our package included use of the Meritus Club lounge which for us was the icing on the cake. It allowed us to enjoy Breakfast, all day snacks, and Evening Cocktails with Hors D'oeuvres in a relaxing atmosphere. We had a buffet dinner at The Spice Market that had a good variety of dishes. We also enjoyed dinner on the edge of the beach at the CBA restaurant. A very nice romantic experience for a couple. All in all we couldn't find anything to really complain about. The WiFi is a little patchy but by moving around a little worked fine. To those who complain about lack of channels, seriously why go to a resort ?..We didn't watch TV, nice to get away from the TV and enjoy the rest. We did meet the Manager Mr. Mueller by chance, and often saw him around the complex. We found him to be very conscientious in his position and working hard in improving guest satisfaction. Thank you Mr. Mueller and all the staff at Meritus. We appreciate your efforts. We hope to return again someday if circumstances allow.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Many sincere thanks for your kind words and a great pleasure to receive the positive feedback.

Your gracious compliments will most certainly inspire and motivate all our associates to continue giving their best to consistently meet or exceed guest expectations.

Together with the team, we shall look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family stayed at the Meritus Pelangi from 15 June for 10 nights. We received a complimentary upgrade to an Oceanfront room which was a nice surprise. The upgrade meant we could access Club Meritus which was a nice gesture. The view from our room was beautiful, and it was wonderful to be able to watch the sun set while taking a stroll on the beach. Breakfast was included in the rate, and we found there was plenty to choose from. I had a fresh omelette made to my specifications every day. The staff were pleasant and helpful not only at the restaurant, but all over the resort. We ate lunch at CBA a few times and the quality of the food there was quite good. We ate dinner outside of the resort most days, as it was quite a bit cheaper.

The kids loved the new pool area, and particularly loved the Big Splash. There were plenty of chairs around the pool, and a very nice young man walking around asking patrons if they would like anything to drink.

The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable, and the newly renovated bathrooms was a welcome improvement.

We had initially booked the accommodation for 11 nights, as our flight to KL on the way home was quite late and we wanted to have use of the room until quite late. When we checked out, the checkout staff were kind enough not to charge us for the full rate, but only for the day use rate which saved us a bit of money. Checkout was easy.

It is very busy walking along the main strip of the beach, but once you get to the Meritus Pelangi you can get back to relaxation. The location is perfect.

We are laid back and easygoing, and thoroughly enjoyed our time in Langkawi. All in all another wonderful stay at The Meritus.

Thank you to Mr Borhan Hamid for arranging our booking.

Room Tip: Oceanfront room if you can, but Lakefront is good too.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Many sincere thanks for your appreciative words and we are delighted that you had enjoyed your return stay with us.

We will gladly share your gracious compliments with all our associates including Borhan who will feel extremely proud to have succeeded in exemplifying what we call the “Meritus Difference” at its very best.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests as we strive to consistently meet or exceed their expectations.

We shall look forward to your continuous support and many more return visits from you in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

At first when we walked into the hotel I thought that the building looked nice, the architecture was traditional. It all changed when we were taken to our challey and witnessed the crappy condition and service of the resort. When we checked in, we were upgraded to a lake view for free, which I thought was quite generous, until we saw the actual lake which was artificial and very dirty as the water was green with no plant life and aquatic fauna as the hotel described, now I can see why it was a free upgrade. The design of our actual room was mediocre and was brought down since the room wasn't maintained. The door covering the fridge was broken and the floor wood was severely scratched, along with the few holes which actually allowed several large insects and reptiles in and around the room suCh as cockroaches and lizards, which wasn't pleasant. In every nook and cranny including the sides of portraits and beds, were filled with dust and insect eggs stuck onto cobwebs. For two days straight our replaced hand towels were actually dirty as they smelled sweaty and horrible, whilst the bathroom had black mould growing on the ceiling. There were scratches on the wall and the windows were filthy. The ac was working fine, but due to condensation, water went dripping down the wall painting, causing it to fall of the wall and leave horrible markings. The tv channels weren't very good, constantly showing reject 1980s American films that I've never heard of ( in other hotels in Malaysia, they provided the fox movie channel, showing recent box office movies ). The restaurant was overly priced and mediocre at best, thank fully the hotel was close to some shops and other fine, reasonably priced restaurants. This is NOT a five star hotel and not worth the money, I would be less angry if they actually advertised that the hotel was 3 or 2 star.

Room Tip: There aren't any tips, the rooms are just crap, at least get the beach facing rooms because they...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kardo B
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and giving us your constructive feedback, which is certainly appreciated.

I deeply regret the distressing experience during your stay and certainly apologize without any hesitation for not meeting your expectations.

During your stay, we had circulation issue as the fountain pump for the lake was damaged due to heavy downpour the previous day. The sea water in the lake (after the recent refurbishment) is not conducive for aquatic plants as they will not survive in ‘salt’ water. However, we do have fishes in the lake to control mosquitoes, which are quite common in a tropical setting.

All defects highlighted had since been rectified and your other comments will be reviewed with my team for improvement and bettering our guest experience.

We would welcome another opportunity to restore your confidence and show you how we can look after our guests, the Meritus way.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Overall the experience in the resort was very good- the breakfast which was included in our rate was plentiful and sufficient for an included rates but we probably wouldn't have paid for it, should it not have been included.

The pool that was open was nice but due to the fact that the other pool (which included the swim up pool bar) was not open- there were several children around- which is fine if you have children but for a relaxing holiday isn't great. I booked the hotel based on the fact that the pictures we saw showed nice rooms and the swim up bar. It would have been good if the hotel had communicated prior to booking that the pool was closed for planned maintenance work.

The biggest issue was the cleanliness of the room- the room itself had several cobwebs in the roof and generally not very clean i.e. dirty mirrors, dirty bath, dirty basin and floors and carpets not very clean. Also the maintenance plans for the rooms should be looked at- splash marks of paint down the back of doors and obviously old and fraying carpets just ins't acceptable and should be replaced.

On a positive note the service received by the duty manager (Hasril Amil Aswa) was superb- I actually left something in my room and the hotel took the opportunity to return the item to their Singapore hotel- which was my next city stop (which I felt was above and beyond and also meant I didn't have to pay the courier charges) for this- thank you again!

Overall the general complex is very good but the housekeeping and maintenance work needs to be looked at in the rooms and the level of service received in the bar should be reviewed. It should also be communicated if pools are to be closed as this real did change the dynamics of the holiday I had planned.

Room Tip: Make sure you get refurbished room- I have just seen on here that some are!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ash199010
Thank you for your valued feedback and glad to note that your overall stay experience had been positive.

We will most certainly share your gracious compliments with Hasril who will be delighted to have delivered your expectations.

All concerns raised by you will be reviewed for improvement and bettering our guest experience.

Again, my sincere apologies for the shortcomings encountered.

We hope to welcome you back again with a more positive stay experience.
Boston
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Me and my wife spent 5 nights at Meritus during our honey moon.

Pros:
- The location is fantastic
- Our room was awesome with a big balcony
- Two great pools
- GREAT BEACH (amazing sunset)
- Close to the bustling street of Jalan Pantai Chenang
- Very friendly housekeeping and maintenance staff
- Beautiful lobby, welcome area

Negatives
- The food at the resort left a lot to be desired. We normally do not eat at resorts when we are traveling, because resorts do not offer quality local cuisine. The same can be said about Meritus. They also have a big selection of western food, which I do not recommend as well. My best tip for any resort around the world, is to put more effort on high quality local cuisine to a more affordable price. If you walk only 5-10 minutes down Jalan Pantai Chenang you will find tons of local restaurants charging a fraction of the resorts prices (however, this was expected)

- The miniature golf course, tennis courts and activity area needs a huge renovation. I have been to homemade miniature golf courses that are of a much higher quality. Being a family friendly resort, this is an area of the resort that needs more attention.

- If you have a room close to the lobby, except VERY VERY loud music until midnight. Even if they close the side door, your entire room will be shaking from the bass. Not ideal if you want to get up early to explore.

- Being a manager at a hotel myself. I was very disappointed how a few of the front desk staff handled small guest complaints. For example, I called the F/D for a early wake up call since our phones did not work in Malaysia. We never received our wake up call. I went to the f/D, not to complain, but to inform them of the situation. The lady at the front desk did not smile at all when greeting us, when I informed her about the situation she told me: "I will talk to the person who worked last night to see if you called us to set up a wake up call"
So instead of an apology and a courteous reply like: "I'm sorry about the inconvenience, I will look into this issue" She basically assumed that I was lying to here!

I also felt the same attitude from the front desk when I asked about the loud music from the lobby. They could not care less if I felt it was to loud.

However, don't get me wrong. This is a fantastic resort, and I would not hesitate at all to come back. I just feel like it could be soooooo much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, far away from the lobby!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your constructive feedback.

I do sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction and all points thoughtfully highlighted will be reviewed for improvement and bettering our guest experience.

I also apologize for the service issues encountered with Front Desk and a thorough re-training is presently underway.

I hope to be able to welcome you again in the future to see the overall improvements.
Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2013

From arrival to checkout...the staff were brilliant, the accomodation fabulous, the surroundings even better. I so appreciated having a confusing credit card charge explained to me, patiently and with respect...
Resort layed out beautifully and ambiance is fantastic.
Room service immaculate.
Stayed for 6 nights and was able to discover the whole island of Langkawi. Just beautiful. Wonderful thankyou to Mr.Hasril, a superb professional, who ensured my stay was everything I hoped it could be.
Im going again :))

Room Tip: Beachview would be good, obviously because of Beach view...but that aside..my garden view was great...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Th0mas_Mueller, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Many sincere thanks for your appreciative words and the great feedback on your positive stay experience.

We will most certainly share your gracious compliments with all our associates including Hasril who will be delighted to have delivered your expectations.

Naturally, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I visited the Meritus Pelangi for a week in February 2013 and I have to say that the hotel is stunning and huge! It has been designed in the style of a Malay village so sympathetic to its exquisite, natural coastline surroundings. We stayed in one of their beachfront rooms which was very impressive - a healthy size, air conditioned, comfy bed, very quiet, nice bathroom and spotlessly clean. But the best thing about the room was the marvellous sea view - we spent a few afternoons drinking beer on the balcony taking it all in. Unfortunately the sea, a beautiful emerald green, was not what I was expecting. Although it looks clean the water is murky and there are signs warning you about the jellyfish which put me off completely. Apparently it's the same everywhere on the island but there are people swimming on the Pentai Cenang stretch, however I personally wouldn't take any chances especially when there is low visibility in the water. It was when I discovered this that I was thankful for the hotel's two enormous and very inviting swimming pools where we spent much of our time. The Meritus is well-located and within easy walking distance the many restaurants and shops in Pentai Cenang, so we chose to dine out for both lunch and dinner every day. We tried the hotel's restaurants but were not impressed - the food (and service) was dreadfully disappointing. I think they need to take a lesson in gastronomy from the hotel next door - Casa del Mar - where we had two excellent meals. Saying that we really loved the Meritus and would definitely return if we ever visit Langkawi again - we would just steer clear of the in-house dining options!

Room Tip: Choose a beachfront room for the wonderful view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind feedback and we are glad that your overall stay experience had been positive.

We do sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction during your stay and the points given will be reviewed for improvement and bettering our guest experience.

We shall look forward to welcome you back again with a more positive stay experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!