“Attn: House Keeping - shower rooms urine smell”

Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Attn: House Keeping - shower rooms urine smell”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were impressed by the magnificent grand entrance on arrival. Received welcome drink as soon as we were seated. Check-in process was satisfactory. Sea-facing rooms were big and comfortable with solid wood structure. Gives a very cosy feeling. Morning breakfast has a very wide selection. Hotel staff friendly. Under renovation however it is bearable. Stayed at the last week of Sept 2012. Centrally located, easy access to food outlets. Beach is beautiful but has plastic bottles and bags lying around. Like the trees at the entrance of hotel. Downside: shower rooms needs some special extra attention and wifi not good in the room. The only place where there is good wifi is the hotel lobby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank summer201105
Marco B, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your valued feedback and I do apologize for any dissatisfaction or discomfort during your recent stay.

Together with the Team, we will make sure that all points raised will be reviewed for improvement and bettering our guest experience.

We welcome another opportunity to serve you again with a more positive stay experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Words are not enough to describe this lovely resort. The rooms look really nice and the breakfast area is so diverse and great. Seafood dinner on the beach is a must ! Also,the hotel is a couple of meters away from the local market where you buy stuff for best prices, book trips forcheaper rates,and have food Royal Orchid

Room Tip: Superior breakfast
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Many sincere thanks for your appreciative notes and we are indeed very glad to have delivered your expectations and delighted your stay experience.

Thank you for giving us the privilege to serve you and we look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Front office staff were not attentive. Service was half baked especially after Fitri told me that there would be a welcome drink and towel. Had to remind her that I did not receive this.

Got a seafront room. Balcony opens up to the beach.

Well kept room. Comfortable bed.

Need to improve on front service with bar service on welcome drink area.

May return.

Room Tip: Ask for blocks facing the beach and near to the Horizon pool. Priceless
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your valued feedback and thoughtfully highlighting your experience with the welcome service, which are certainly appreciated.

The point raised had been fully noted for improvement and bettering our guest experience.

Our sincere apologies for the shortcoming and we welcome another opportunity to restore your confidence with a more positive stay experience.
Singapore
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The stay in Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort was a nightmare. It was a group business offsite in this hotel. The new room was not too bad when we checked-in. I had a room to myself. To cut the long story short, after dinner on the day of arrival, I return to my room around 12ish mid night. Took a shower and was getting ready for bed when i realize that there were bats fly in my room. I immediately jumped out of bed and ran to the door.

Luckily, my colleagues are staying in the next room. I went over shouting for help. When he found out what i had to say, he told me there is two in his room. He went to the reception for help and two men came with long bamboo fish nets. After going in to my room for less than 5mins, all i get from the two men was,"its okay, they are harmless!" ... My immediate reaction was, "WHAT? No way am i sleeping in a room with 3-4 bats flying around, whats the difference with sleeping in a cave?"

I immediately went to the reception and demand for a room change. They apologize to me and say that the hotel is very very full and the only room they can give me is very far away from the main lobby. I was not comfortable to stay in the old wing alone and was almost 40 blocks away from the main reception lobby but because of the bats, I decided to change room with my colleague keeping me company. They also told me that they will try to patch the hole of the room roof attic so that no bats can fly in, if I would like to return to the room the next day.

It was indeed a mental torture cos by the time I was settled down it was already around 2am. I could not sleep even after the room change. I was in shock and my entire body was tensed up.

The next morning, I called the reception and ask if they could help move me back nearer to the main lobby. They told me that the rooms are still fully booked and only after 3pm, will they be able to let me know if there is availability.

After i hang up the phone, I got change, checked out and head straight to the airport. I got myself a new return ticket and left Langkawi!!

It was supposed to be a 3 days 2 nights trip which has turned out to be a less than 2 days trip.It was a traumatic experience. I will not return again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank travelbugS72
Thank you for your valued feedback and highlighting your distressing experience with the bats during your recent stay.

I certainly regret the untoward stress this has caused you and as a small token, I would like to invite you back for a two night stay as our guest.

Please do contact my office and will gladly take care of your room booking.

I remain

Marco
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We arrived at resort at 10 am. Driving up to the entrance one could see the resort was very good.On entering the main entrance it was very nice. The reception greeted us with a cold drink. We were upgraded to apool view room. I must say the reception was very quick, the people were very good. Wedid not think we could get to our room that time in the morning. On arrivingto our room,the main bedroom was large and very clean. Of the main bedroom was another room with vanity etc etc.The bathroom and toilet in another room. The room over looked the pool via a decking. However the furniture had seen better days. The bed was comfortable and large.

Half the resort was being renovated , but did not interfere with our time there. The lake area and main pool were closed for the renovations. Theother pool was large and we had no trouble getting deck chairs.The gardens were spotless and well kept and maintained.Breakfast was excellant with a great selection of food. Once again the staff were very good and friendley, and you could have a good chat with them.Also breafast area very clean and tidy. Tables cleaned soon as you finished your meal. Beach outside the resort fantastic, sand cleaned every day, water crystal clear. We walked along the beach every morning after breakfast.We hired a car through the hotel, cost 220 ringit for 24 hours including everything insurance etc etc. We went around to all main tourist places, wehad know problems driving around the island, even in the main city kuha town.

Outside the the resor ashort walk you arein the main shopping area of pantai cenang, many resturants to pick from. Wehad meals at three places, but kept coming back to the same one, we came back nine times in our 12 day stay. Most of the resturants were mainly empty copared to the one we kept coming back to. Tname of resturant was ORCHIK RAI price great food first class.

Now the down side was the shopping very poor compaired thailand and other asian islands, not a place to shop. Now I must say the hotel has a lot of MIDDLE EASTERN ARABS. To be truthfull they could not smile or say good morning , like other people from other countries. They treat the Malaysian people in my opion badley, cannot say please or thank you ete etc. They are very waste full leaving plates and plates of untouched food on the table, dropping food and napkins on the floor after wiping there hands , to lazy to pick food or napkins up. With so many starving people in the world it was a disgrace to see the waste , once again I feel sorry for the staff who have to clean up, and throw the food away.
We would have liked to see the resort fully finished to see the end result. Would I Recommend his resort yes we would, would we stay there again yes we would

To the management and staff thanks for a great time. There were to many great people to give a special mention to at the resort.Gardeners, Room cleaners, Resturants people,Pool attendents, Reception staff etc etc..To every body who works at the resort, you are all doing a great job.We both personaly would hope the management get you together and show you what we think of your great work. Keep a good smile be happy god bless you all

Frank and Susan Palmer

Room Tip: All the rooms would probably be the same. The upper floors would be the best, people cannot look int...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frankansue
Marco B, General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Many sincere thanks for your appreciative notes and it is indeed gratifying to learn that we had delivered your expectations and delighted your stay experience.

Your gracious compliments will most certainly inspire and motivate our associates to continue giving their best to consistently meet or exceed guest expectations.

Together with the Team, we shall look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Wasn't sure waht to expect as received an Letter a couple of weeks before departure saying renovations were taking place here.

It was never a problem, did not feel deprived of anything. THe Hotel is beautiful and the staff are amazing, very attentive and friendly. Your every need is catered for with a beautiful smile.

There was a group on every evening 2 girls & a Guitarist and they were fab.

THis is a very relaxed , laid back place with a beautiful beach and lots of hidden gems to eat & drink.

The Warunga cafe on the main strip served the best Mojitos and they greeted you like old friends.

Room Tip: we had a garden view room which was close to the cascade pool. perfect location. All the rooms ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LAM15
Thank you very much for your appreciative words and we are delighted on your positive stay experience.

Your gracious compliments will certainly inspire and motivate our associates to continue giving their best towards attaining service excellence.

We naturally look forward to welcome you back with our signature service of Asian Grace, Warmth and Care.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I'm from Australia and this is my second time at the Pelangi. I have high standards and usually find lots of flaws in hotels, but I love this place. Most of the rooms have been renovated even though they weren't that bad before but the best thing besides the location is the service. Wonderful friendly people. If you want to relax this is the place to stay. My kids alternated between the pool and the beach and I was able to swim, drink fresh watermelon juice and read books. There are some great external restaurants around and you need to visit the night markets and the Babylon bar! I'll be returning in March!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Jbunney
Many sincere thanks for your appreciative words and we are extremely happy that you had enjoyed your return stay with us.

We will gladly share your gracious compliments with all our associates, who will be delighted to have delivered your expectations.

Together with the Team, we are already looking forward very much to your return visit in March next year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Cenang
Tanjung Rhu Resort
#8 of 103 in Langkawi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,301 reviews
The Datai Langkawi

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!