“Happy Guests”
Review of The Brasserie - CLOSED

The Brasserie
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Al fresco dining on the beach with beautiful sunset view
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Very very friendly staff and food great. Lovely location. Wished we had more time for more meals here.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was disappointed with both my starter & main course at The Brassiere. I would say the quality of cooking there was worst than at a simpler, less fancy, less expensive cafe such as the Beach Garden Resort cafe located on the same beach.

The problems with the dishes I ordered at The Brasserie were, firstly, the recipe was way too simple for a fancy restaurant (pan fried & drizzled with olive oil & lemon juice or soy sauce). Secondly, the cooking skills of the cook was terrible for a restaurant cook, my tuna loin was over cooked till dry on the outside but had strange streaks of uncooked parts on the inside. Worst of all, the cook made a beginner's mistake, the oil taste in all my dishes indicated it was over heated to the extend that it tasted burnt. Thirdly, for the high price charged for the scallop starter, it was disappointing that all 4 scallops were tasteless probably due to freezer burn. I did not go to one of the fanciest restaurants on the beach to have seafood worst than those I cook at home, in terms of taste & quality, it made it worst for them when their less fancy counterparts serve better tasting food than them.

Next the service, the waiter who took our orders reeked of alcohol & ketone every time he came over to our table. At first, I could not believe it was coming from him due to several reasons & thought it might have came from the patron at the next table, even though she was seated too far for the odour to travel to us. Anyway, I was not surprised when the said waiter blatantly rejected my request for a dollop of coconut cream to be added to my mocktail, which some other cocktails had. Coconut cream is inexpensive in Malaysia as coconuts are abound, I concluded that the waiter was not sober enough to think clearly.

The only consolation was, the location was lovely, located slightly above beach level with hedge fence on two sides gave the feeling of seclusion. In addition to that, the tasteful decor & candle lit ambiance made it one of the more romantic places to have dinner on Cenang beach.

1  Thank I_Caught_the_Bug
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Lovely at night as it is on the beach side. Good food lovely staff. Good to celebrate an event there as they give you a candle paper ballon to send up into the sky. Good deals for lunch Tapas/sharing plates.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We loved the food at this place and ate their 5 times. We had a 2 and 5 year old and the staff were so nice with the kids, building them paper planes, roses etc. My 2 year old is very hyperactive and the staff still adored him. The food is excellent and is very well presented. Furthermore, the food is of an exceptional quality with a great taste, hence the reason we continued to return. For anybody that goes to this restaurant.... you must eat the banana crepes with coconut ice cream.... omg omg..... very very addictive.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

lovely menu, beautiful setting on the beach. Service great. would definitely return to this restaurant!