“Beautiful surroundings, nice staff, terribly overpriced”
Review of Riders Lodge

Riders Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kulai
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I'm still in shock regarding the cost of a 2 day 1 night stay at riders lodge. I went with my two children for an 'affordable' break away from Singapore. We had one veranda room (smelled fusty with mould and bad plumbing). The bed was huge and comfortable fitted the kids (age 10 and 7) and me. Fine as a place to get some shut-eye. Probably 2 star standard of room. I had full board, so one lunch, one dinner and one breakfast included. Including two one-hour group riding lessons for the kids this one night stay ended up costing me 1470 Ringgits... That's just over 600 SGD. I could have flown us to Thailand for 3 nights for the same price... For the accommodation and one adult's food alone it was 669 Ringgits! The kids meals were all additional - it would have been a similar cost to stay overnight at Marina Bay Sands! Oh well, just means sadly I don't want to go back. Had a nice time though...til check-out!

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank TKinSing
There are newer reviews for Riders Lodge

Reviewed February 17, 2012

We went to the Riders Lodge because we were attending a function at Legends. We were guaranteed a group rate and paid in advance. When we left to check out-the staff including manager lied to our faces. They over charged by one hundred dollars (even though it was supposed to have been paid for). They tried to add an extra hundred dollars worth of rum and cokes-we never set foot in their bar. All other members of the party received the group rate we had been promised. The room was crawling with ants, had no hot water, and had a moldy bathtub. When we spoke to the manager she was unapologetic and outright defiant about it. Very bad customer service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsAggie
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Spend a WE there with my husband. Rooms are simple, but quiet and clean. Staff is very welcoming. Good food, nice horse riding facilities with good horses and real teacher.
Did not try the golf but seemed to be nice. A swimming pool would be nice. Massage was average.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dinacecca
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed 1 night at Riders Lodge with another couple. The girls were riding and the boys playing Golf at Legends.

All in all it was a great weekend and not bad value for money at all. The rate included bed, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was simple, but tasty and there was plenty of it.

The rooms were simple, but worked just fine, air con, hot water, comfy bed.

I am reliably told by my wife that the riding was great, the instructor good and the horses well looked after. I can confirm that the golf was terrible (my skills not the course).

All in all a great weekend trip from Singapore, it’s not 5* luxury, but it does not pretend to be.

Once the Malaysian fix the queues at the border crossing I expect we will be back!

As a reference point, we are a UK couple living in Singapore. Age 34 & 34 with no kids. Have stayed everywhere from backpacker hotels in West Africa to most of Asia's 5* places too, so feel we provide a balanced view on service, quality and value for money.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank MarkyV
Reviewed July 25, 2011

It surprised me to see that there were only 5 reviews for RL. I've been coming here since I was 9 years old, bringing my patronage and loyalty to this amazing place to a whopping 10 years. The owners and staff have watched me grow up, and when I come back for a stay here be it with friends or family, it feels like i'm coming back home.
The lodge is one of the rare places where you can find good, well-kept facilities, horses with hearts as big as you'll ever find, trainers of impeccable standards of riding as well as teaching, and lodge staff that hardly ever not have a smile on their faces. Everyone at the lodge, both two legged and four legged, are so eager to please. Sure, the place has many mosquitos and the rooms in the lodge aren't particularly what you would call a 5 star hotel, but given the atmosphere, the gorgeous scenery and the excellent riding standards, it's a small price to pay. After all, horseriding isn't the world's most glamorous sport, especially after a lesson with RL's trainers who will have you working as hard as your mount to improve.
RL offers private, semi private and group lessons with mounts that cater to every level of riding. From tiny ponies such as Aurora to cater to your little ones, to huge horses like Philip; or from beginner, bomb-proof horses like trustworthy Mathilda and Tyson, to FEI competitors such as PBT for the more experienced ones, riders of every age and standard have a mount waiting for them. The coaches have changed a lot in the past few years, but have all met a high standard of excellence.
However, the thing I love the most about RL and what I feel sets them apart from many other riding facilities in Asia, is their emphasis on horse care management. In many other stables that I have been to, stablehands give you your horse 5 minutes before a lesson all tacked up and raring to go, and you hop on and off an hour later, and the stablehands lead your mounts away almost immediately. In some facilities, the stablehands do not allow riders to play a role in the care of their assigned mounts. At RL, even if you are not a participant in their holiday camps, riders or horse lovers are welcome to play an active role in taking care of their horses before and after their lessons. I remember waking up at the crack of dawn every morning especially when I was younger to head straight down to the stables and help in the distribution of the morning feed. Riders are also welcome to groom and tack up their horses before class and to untack, shower and graze their mounts after class, should they want to. The stablehands for the respective horse will often follow beside you and make sure that all the necessary areas have been covered during showering, grooming, tacking up and untacking. Some of my best memories of my childhood are of me with a horse grazing by my side in the pastures while I sit on a log and watch the ongoing classes. Of course, the stablehands do not expect you to be in charge of your horse before and after classes, so caring for your horse is more of a voluntary experience that gives you a taste of what it is like to own a horse.
Riders' Lodge holiday camps run throughout the year and are a wonderful experience for all ages, and in some of these camps, each camper is assigned a horse for the entire duration of the camp that he or she is solely responsible for - It's like having your own horse for 3 days.
Riders can also opt for a trail ride into the jungle, passing by the Legend's golf course and is a more relaxed, laidback option to an actual lesson.
Riders Lodge is the first place I suggest to people who are interested in a horsey getaway. It's the place I've grown up in, and it's the place I will always go back to for a relaxing getaway where I can wake up to the sound and smell of horses, as well as the occasional sight of horses grazing right outside my window.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ccxdq
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed 3days/2nights for a family of 4. Its good that they have connecting rooms as it was more convenient for us to move to each other's room. Unlike what i read in some previous reviews, I was glad that the rooms were clean, big and spacious. It would be better if they have a fridge, hot kettle and cups in the room. So if you are with young babies you may want to request for that. But do note that the water from the tap is brownish- so u may not want to use it for drinking.

The riding lesson was fun- to pick up some basics of horse riding. But there wasn't much opportunity to take photos unless someone is not riding. Would be good if they let us bring our camera and give time to take pictures.

Food wise, it was impressive- especially presentation. Portions were generous and we had different menu for the two days. My daughter loved the fish and chips. My fav was the pasta with smoked salmon. But only if you love cheese.

That's all for now. Still at the lodge enjoying a game of pool. It will be home sweet home tmr.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We stayed on a 3d 2n package. It was a busy time of the year. We loved it and were disappointed in equal measures.

The good:
Our kids loved it. The staff are both charming and super friendly going out of their way to make you feel welcome and at home.

There were a lot of families staying from Singapore and the kids got together and spent the evenings enjoying each others company playing tag and soccer on the big lawns. Lots of shrieking and joy to be had by kids of all ages.

The riding is, as you would hope, exceptional. Wonderful stables, horses and trails. Great trainers and a great vibe. Easy place to learn and very encouraging instructors. Reasonably priced per lesson.

Free and effortless wireless Internet

The bad:
Food, beverage and accommodation isn't really up to much. The tired rooms are small with scattered mold on the ceilings, which we can live with as it's just a place to rest (we had a verandah room). To accomodate our kids, mattresses on the floor were supplied at no charge. The main bed was comfortable and the sleep was fine even with all those kids running around.

The food is advertised as "Gourmet" and is priced like a good Singapore Restaurant, but is really just OK home cooked fair - I can cook better and my wife would leave them for dead on a bad day. Lunch on one day took 90 minutes from sitting down to leaving. Everything had to be requested twice as the serving staff were easily overwhelmed if it's busier than 4 occupied tables. Likewise the kitchen couldn't get everyones meals to the table for our group of 8 before the first meals were being finished.

The bar was likewise pricing drinks at Singapore levels which is not something you expect in Malaysia. Cheapest bottle of wine was $70SGD!

So the recommendation is qualified. The riding is probably some of the best in Asia. Be prepared to pay over the top for average food. Bring your own wine (corkage is payable!). In the future we would probably just send the kids for the riding.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kulai
Creator Hotel
Hotel Anika
Hotel Anika
#1 of 9 in Kluang
Doubletree By Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru

Been to Riders Lodge? Share your experiences!