“WORST PLACE TO STAY”
Review of Eagle Bay Hotel

Eagle Bay Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Kuah
Reviewed December 31, 2010

The whole place is dusty and dirty, curtains are stained, beds ARE filthy (looks they don't even have cleaners to clean the room), room is musky and smelly (hardly any ventilation and I fell sick cos of that), the air-con, and fan were dud (esp air con, might as well not have it at all).The toilet bowl leaking, the breakfast was just BAD. Overall, a terrible experience, even if im on a tight budget, i would NOT stay here!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank junster12
There are newer reviews for Eagle Bay Hotel

Reviewed December 29, 2010

We booked and paid for 5 nights' stay in their Deluxe Family Room. The pictures looked good but totally misleading. We got a shock when we checked into Room 718 (couldn't remember the exact room no. on the 7th floor as we ended up not staying there). It was old, dull, and smelled. The 2 queen-size beds looked old & dirty, the bedsheets stained and the blankets really, really worn-out and appalling. My teenage children refused to sleep on the beds as they worry about the hygiene. The toilet bowl was leaking and the bathroom in a bad state. There was no air-condition and only a ceiling fan. We couldn't bring ourselves to crawl into those dirty sheets to sleep. We were in the room for half an hour assessing the situation and we decided to move out to stay in another motel just down the road which is cheaper, newer, cleaner and friendlier staff. We forfeited our money, never stayed a single night and will NEVER come back to this hotel again. Do not judge by their photos on the website as the reality is very different. Go at your own risk!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Jan117959
Reviewed December 18, 2010

We stayed here for 2 wks in feb 2010.We hired a car as to see most of the island you will need transport-no proper public transport other than cab.The hotel was very quiet the 1st wk then very busy the 2nd due to the langkawi ironman competition taking place.The hotel was very cheap and the facilities fairly basic, but the staff were good, the room ok and the food a bit predictable but good enough at the price.Not the best hotel on the island but at the price we paid value for money

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madjide
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Lousy rooms, inedible food and very noisy at night. Dirty smelly foul bathroom. Could not reccomend it even if it was free.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank quepasapd
Reviewed July 21, 2010

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in my whole life. I should have trusted the trip advisor reviews. Believe me, each one of these reviews have drawn a true picture of what me and my kids had experienced just 2-3 weeks ago. Service...theres no service. It was hard to find a bell boy to bring our luggage upstairs while checking in, it took us more than 15 mins.While checking out, I had to drag all my luggage from up to down since they had no one there. The worst part is definately the room and the bathroom. The rooms are very small compared to the pictures you see on the net. You have to walk to the window to see a glimse of outside since its near to the roof. Its dark, shabby and filthy. Even the lighting is inadequate. Theres no drinking water, no slippers and the TV cables are loose leaving the pictures blurred. Regarding the toilet, I need to write a novel to capture all. The floor is mosaic, black, dirty and wet. The comod has leaks and water spills on the floor whenever you flush. The hand shower cant be fixed and always has to lie on the floor. Basin, bathtub is stained yellow with no shower curtains. My kids who were 8 and 4 refused to use the toilets and kept their feet hanging beside the bed incase they got dirty from the floor. Breakfast was aweful. It was not even ready the morning we checked out. Pool was dirty and theres no question of taking a dip let alone swimming. I luckily rented a car and we spent the whole day out since we were scared to come back to such a horrible place. It was only past 10 or 11 at night that we came just to sleep. I was amazed to see other hotels and specially resorts at much cheaper prices than this with such class and cleanliness. Too bad that this was the only hotel I found while booking. I had paid on line for 3 nights without physically seeing this hotel, otherwise I would have left it the very moment I entered. The reviews at trip advisor also mentions people booking at the eleventh hour since they had no alternatives. The same happened to us as well.
Yes, one good thing about the hotel may be the location because it is near the jetty, Kuah. For people arriving/departing by road/ferry may be this is near, but once you travel by air(which you always should do, we had a horrifying journey by not taking the plane while coming, but definately flew out while leaving) its better you stayed near to the airport where there are so many resorts with affordable prices having pools, jacuzzis and their own beaches. Besides, with kids and family staying near to the ferry means nothing if you have to take a taxi or rent a car to avoid long walks.
3 weeks later, we still feel we need to take a shower after staying there. My kids are horrified and we have lost all our confidence in going and staying at unknown hotels.
My advice to myself is, its better staying on the road or parks; atleast its clean. To you all planning to have a great vacation, please dont spoil it by staying here. If its about money, believe me there are many many places better and cheaper. If you decide to waste money, better give it to charity than spend here. Reviews from Trip Advisor regarding other hotels we stayed at KL and Cameron Highlands were absolutely right. We have very good experiences there and the kids loved it.
To end, I have travelled to as many as 13 countries and have stayed at many hotels , but have failed to point out a single reason why some one decent would want to stay here. I echo with some one who said this in trip advisor " you were warned" .

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank drjavedrahman
Reviewed June 19, 2010

i wouldnt be back in this hotel ever again. the number one thing is the room is moldy, smelly and stuffy even with the air condition and fan switch on! air conditioning is very poor. the room look very run down. the toilet looks like it been there for centuries (oops, with very minimal maintenance plus there's no shower curtain!!!). stains are everywhere including the pillow case and bedsheets. the towel looks horrible!
i was in shock when i checked into the room and went straight down to request for an upgrade for a family suite. to my surprise, it look as horrible as well.
the swimming pool is even more dirty than public pool! i wouldn't let the kids into the pool. water look murky with lotsa dirts!
Worst, the location of this hotel from shopping district is 20mins (walk). you'll need to walk that far to even buy a bottle of water. hotel doesn't supply any complimentary water. so have fun fetching your water.
please, if you are travelling with kids. do not choose this hotel.
if you're on budget, then this might be a good choice for your pocket. but you have been warned.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kambing_meek
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We have just stayed 3 nights at this hotel, first impressions of the hotel were that it looks nice as we were a bit aprehensive due to comment we had read but as soon as we spoke to staff to check in our thoughts changed. The whole time we were there it felt like we were a burden on the staff, they were always rude to us, when we first got there they made us wait for our room as it was still being cleaned, although when we got upstairs they were at the other end of the floor cleaning so I think the staff just enjoyed making us wait i'm not sure. On our last day we asked reception to ring a taxi for us which seemed like we had asked for the world! The rooms were spacious but were not clean and the bathroom was worse the toilet leaked and I don't think they had ever cleaned the sink as I could see soap scum on the first day before we had used it. The staff did bring us clean towels and make the bed every day but 1 day I noticed a big stain on the 'new' sheets which was not very nice and the towels did not smell clean at all. Also in the night my boyfriend got about 5 huge bite marks - we put it down to bed bugs which again not very nice. There was wifi but you had to pay for this, the TV channels were all foreign not even 1 English speaking channel, I know its a foreign country but I thought there would be at least one english channel, but not even the news! The location was quite good though as was close to the jetty, shopping mall and Kuah town, you can easily walk to all of these in about 5-10 minutes. Or taxi ride from Kuah jetty to the hotel was 6RM. Oh and the swimming pool was disgusting, it had all green mould at the bottom and also looked like it had ever been cleaned. Oh and also it's right opposite a mosque which wakes you up every morning at 6am. I wouldn't bother with this hotel for the money we paid we wished we had paid a bit more and stayed else where as they seemed like all they were interested in was your money, everything seemed to cost extra, the laundry was also very expensive, don't get it done there go into Kuah, just keep walking straight up the main road to Kuah and it will be on your right after the turning in Kuah Town you will see it, much cheaper.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuah
Bella Vista Waterfront
Adya Hotel Langkawi
#1 of 17 in Kuah
Bayview Hotel Langkawi
Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia

Been to Eagle Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!