“Ok for a budget Hotel”
Review of Eagle Bay Hotel

Eagle Bay Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Kuah
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Spent 2 nights here with a couple of college friends. Place needs some maintenece and the rooms are really compact, but i guess thats what you get for $40. Didn't get a chance to hav their breakfast cause it was all finished by the time i got there. It's a gud bargain though compared to the other places around the same area... but we hooked up with some friends who were staying in small rooms by some beach and they were paying barely $20 a night, and these rooms were equipped with almost everything you needed.. hot water, kingsized beds and air con, and they were right at the beach. But probably not the place to be when a tsunami hits.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ahmed J

Reviewed February 14, 2013

a family trip of 16 person including children.
location is very near the jetty - ok.
however we waited long hours for the check-in, we were told the room services was slow. finally check-in by 3.30pm. the room is a bit small n not in good condition, no carpet, still wet due to just finished cleaning (but not so clean), no carpet flooring, small fridge with nothing inside. bathroom water heater was slow, mirror dirty.
breakfast provided, but i prefer eating out.
will not come back again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank arkeaty
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I'm in company trip. Once stepped into it, it's creepy to me. But it's company booking, I just tried to fit myself. When I entered the room, I don't have the feeling to stay any longer. The washroom made it even worse with the dirtiness. The bed is not in good shape as if it has run out of spring.
Do not give a hope, as there is no hope in this hotel.
A big number of us immediately left for a hotel nearby for a two-night stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank wyuchin
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Tour Operator booked this place for us. Stayed 3 days 2 nights here. Lobby quite
cosy but on entering the lifts and room, it was shockingly run down and simple.
Most of the fittings are not working even the telephone. Maintenance came and
changed the telephone leaving behind a long piece of wire on the floor and the
next day, the phone was out again. The TV has only one channel-TV3! The breakfast
was terrible. The only consolation is the park opposite the Hotel which looks nice
for a jog. Opposite the Hotel about 5 mins' walk, is this place called "Pekan Rabu"-
don't ever eat here. There are only a few stalls open, very untidy and dirty. The
authorities should spruce up the place. DO avoid the 1st stall, a burly man who sticks his finger into your soup and is a cheat. The soup tulang came out oily and there
are no "tulang" only chunks of fat with small piece of meat on it and the worst of all,
the meat is cold. (must have been leftovers). Feel sick as the food preparation and
glasses were not clean. Recommend to stay at Pantai Cenang instead.

Room Tip: Stay at Pantai Cenang.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed there late last Dec 2011 for three nights. Due to the lack of of hotel rooms, I decided to try this hotel. The pictures from the webpages were deceiving and the hotel looked decrepit externally and internally. When we arrived and entered the lobby, there was an over-powering smell which was quite unpleasant. The hotel could have chosen a better air freshener if there was a need to mask some other types of smells. However, we found out later that the smell in the lift was worse. We had to wait for our room to be ready although it was nearly 3pm. The hotel room we got was in a poor condition, the faded bedspreads had seen better days, the curtains were old and worn out. Cleaning and vacuuming were obviously done only for those visible areas. When we tried to relocate the beds to accomodate an extra mattress, I was shocked to discover remains of food items (potato chips, corn flakes, etc.) on the carpet under the bed. A lizard crept up the wall due to the disturbance and we managed to capture and release it outside. One of two of the electrical outlets was defective and I could not use it to charge up my mobile phone. The other was meant for the small LCD tv. The toilet was in no better condition, the fixture for the toilet hose was broken with the hose lying on the floor. As the tiles were all dark in color, I could not be sure of the toilet cleanliness but from the smell that emanated, I had my doubts. Breakfast was average with minimal choices, the food was bland and oily. The cleaning and clearing service were poor, the arrangement of food, drinks and cuttleries could be improved further. The external environment of the hotel shows a lack of housekeeping with discarded boxes blocking the driveway, the underground car park was equally dirty and messy. Overall, a general lack of maintenance. The staff at the reception was polite enough and helpful during my travel although calls to housekeeping went unanswered. We were glad that we only had to use the place for a shower and to sleep.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank benika6
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I stayed here (Superior twin room) for business (attending a conference at The Westin). The organizers made a deal with this hotel to offer us cheaper rates. Since I can't afford The Westin (I'm just a struggling government officer, I can't stay in an expensive hotel and claim for it afterwards) I had no choice. Plus its the hotel that the organizers have arranged for a shuttle to pick us up to the conference venue so I just had to take it.

I would never come back voluntarily. That is 100% assured.

Pros:
1) Good location

Cons:
1) Rooms were really old and smell bad.
2) The floors had no carpets which is fine if it was kept clean and dust free, but it was dusty. 3) The toilet had a whiff of urine smell once I entered.
4) The beds look really dirty and worn. The sheets were stained and I felt itchy the moment I slipped in them. I don't want to wake up scratching myself so I slathered insect repellent on my body before I slept. Worked.
5) The TV had no remote and I had trouble turning it on. I had to call the reception. They were SLOW to response. Only had TV1, TV2 & TV3. No cable.
6) The curtains had a giant I-don't-know-what stain on them which is very visible under the light.
7) The doors had no safety latch. Dangerous as I am alone. So I used my suitcase and the chairs in the room to block my room from intruders.
8) They have NO WIFI in the rooms. U need to pay RM10 to use wifi in the lobby
9) They only provide ONE iron for the whole floor, and I need to walk out to the dark creepy hallway at 5 am in the morning to iron my clothes. CREEPY!
10) Breakfast was alright surprisingly. But the restaurant looks as dodgy as the rooms.
11) CONSTANT blackouts due to the VERY flimsy access card. I had to adjust the card on the electricity slot more than 6 times in my short 1 night stay.

I paid for 2 nights, but I checked out early to stay with a kind lady (one of the organizers) at The Westin. I was really blessed and lucky, because before I left the hotel I was not looking forward to spending another night in that place all alone.

Please avoid if you're a woman travelling alone or if you're allergic to dust and mites or if you like cleanliness or if you intend to do some work. It's probably okay for large families on budget.

And if you MUST stay here, bring your own iron, insect repellent, your own internet connection and something heavy to block the door.

You've been warned.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are terrible. If you can, try other rooms. But I really think you'd be better off...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank foxymardy
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Do not get cheat by the pictures from the hotel website. Its really terrible. Once we steps into the lobby area it had strong smell. The room is dusty and dark, seems like no cleaning with strong odor smells. Queen size bed very dusty. Toilet water leaking and couldn't flush. Breakfast was so so only..not much choice. Overall, is very bad condition hotel. Would not recommend anyone to stay, not worth it.

WARNING: STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank artic128
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuah
Bella Vista Waterfront
#35 of 105 in Langkawi
Lavigo Resort
Lavigo Resort
#33 of 105 in Langkawi

Been to Eagle Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!