“Excellent sea view and location”

Nirwana Gardens Mayang Sari Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lagoi
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The sea view is excellent and our room is just literally one step to the beach which is not overly crowded and has a exclusive feel.

Within walking distance from the main resort and the swimming pool.

Very good for couples and a quiet vacation.

Although price is higher than normal hotel rooms, it is definitely worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TZG23
There are newer reviews for Nirwana Gardens Mayang Sari Beach Resort

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel is located within Nirwana Garden, which is well maintained resort area operated by Nirwana group. This hotel is at right next to beach. Restaurant is in open air and quite nice atmosphere with good variety of food (Asian, Indian, Western, etc.). However, as we stayed 3 nights, the choice for dinner became limited. Breakfast buffet is excellent compared to its price. All the hotel staffs are very friendly and kind. Most of them recognized that we are Japanese and they explain in Japanese. Of course they speak excellent English as well. On the last night of our stay, we walked to Nirwana Resort Hotel, where there are many more choices of restaurants and food. I liked Mayang Sari Beach Resort better, because it is small scale, which means less clouded, and again the staffs there are very friendly. The beach is very clean, wide, and almost no people there. I learned that there are only 50 rooms in Mayang Sari Beach Resourt. That's why not many people. Inside the room looks authentic Indonesian style with minimum equipped. Space is plenty. We had king size bed with one extra bed (single). There was enough space to two more extra beds in fact. In the night, we didn't need air conditioner at all. In day time, when it was raining, we could just sit on the deck in front of the room to watch rain and enjoy its natural sound, read book, etc. WiFi was available in the main building (lobby, restaurant and on the beach close to the building). Staying away from Internet is one important element to relax. I think this hotel would be my regular place to visit.

Meanwhile, not only in this hotel, I didn't need to have Indonesian Rupiah but just need Singapore dollar in Bintan island. For people from Singapore, you will need insect repellant. Mosquitoes and ants will bite you otherwise.

Room Tip: The rooms facing beach should be much better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Over the past 10 years i have stayed at Mayang Sari Beach Resort numerous times with my wife, kids, friends, and extended family. Generally we spend a weekend relaxing on the beach or having drinks on the patio. While the resort is showing its age (though they have been renovating the beach huts), the staff have proven themselves time and again to be some of the best i have encountered. From preparing special meals for my kids, to the friendliness extended by everyone, from the security staff to the waiters at both Nirwarna and Mayang Sari. IF you are looking for a relaxing weekend away from Singapore, and do not want the hustle and bustle of the many resorts dotting the region. Go to Mayang Sari. I freely admit i wish you do not go so i can enjoy the peace of the place all to myself!

Mardm26-- its common sense to advise the wait staff when you make your order of your allergies, as well as when they serve the food. If in doubt ask to speak to the chef.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are lovely especially if you have kids as you can watch them on the beach. If you...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Dear Mardm26,

I was surprised to read your review. I have been to Mayang Sari Resort many times, and have not experienced, or witnessed, any rudeness from any of the Staff, nor have the many friends I have recommended to stay there. You had an issue with a food allergy. I have an allergy to prawns/prawn stock, but in my travels around the world, I always indicate this when I make the online booking, and then when I get to the hotel, I will advise the Chef or the staff before I review the menu so they can make suggestions, or decide to omit the prawn stock item from the dish I select. One cannot expect hotel menus to list each and every base ingredient that goes into the many dishes they offer. This is Asia and there are lots of ingredients that go into just one Asian dish; hence the guest must advise the Chef before ordering from a menu.
I hope you recovered well from whatever you suffered and had time to enjoy the sun, sand and sea. It is a place I recommend to my friends because of the innate courtesy that comes with the Indonesian culture and the staff reflect this very well. I always receive their courtesy because I am courteous myself. I'm not sure what happened with the spa manager, but again, I have been there many times and thus am surprised by your statement. Good luck with your food allergy and your future travels - don't forget to advise the hotel of your allergy when you make the booking otherwise you may end up with unpleasant stays wherever you go.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We just spend three days / two nights, at the Mayang Sari Beach resort in Bintan. It was a really wonderful relaxing few days. We were there with our two children aged 6 and 4 and the location of the resort could not be more perfect for our family. There are a few things to bear in mind and a couple of recommendations.

Mayang Sari is part of the Nirwana Gardens resort which makes up a number of other hotels of varying status. You have access to all the facilities across the Nirwana resort irrespective of which hotel you choose to stay at.

The Mayang Sari resort simply consist of little huts dotted along the beach, the Spice restaurant and Mayng Sari beach bar. This stretch of beach also has the water sports centre for jet skiing, kayaking, sailing and banana boating.

The huts themselves are in a fairly poor state which other reviewers have mentioned. We had little ants running around our bathroom, dirty tiles in the bathroom, plug sockets that did not all work and considering we paid a lot of money to book this room it was a bit disappointing. The rates are reflective of the fact that you are paying for staying at a resort, not necessarily this particular hotel. That said however, having a sea view chalet made it worth while. The beach here is so quiet. There are hardly any people around. The sand is soft and white and the water is warm and shallow. Only thing to be warned about are jelly fish! There are lots of them but it did not stop us spending every minute in the water and we never got stung as we would pop up occasionally to check our surrounds before playing in the surf again.

The Spice restaurants serves excellent food and the breakfasts were varied and very tasty.
We spent an hour in the Nirwana Gardens Resort before having the opportunity to release some baby turtles at the nearby hatchery on site and I could not wait to leave to get back to the Mayang Sari. The Nirwana is all you would expect from a resort. Lots of bars, lots of people, very busy and brash. The Mayang Sari is pure quiet, restful bliss.

For food I really recommend the Spice restaurant for great Indonesian Fayre and the Kelong restaurant which is a five minute walk from the Mayang Sari. Stunning fresh seafood. Great location and atmosphere with the Calypso bar attached on a stilt bridge into the sea. Really wonderful evening spent there.

I have no doubt we will return to Bintan as we are now living in Singapore and its such an easy journey. I would only ever stay at the Mayang sari again as the location is spectacular, the best restaurants are on site or a short walk, the staff are very sweet and helpful. We are reasonably easy going so the poor state of repair of the accommodation really did not bother us too much but make sure you check for good deals on agoda. Also if you are a reasonably petite family which we are you can all easily share the big king size bed between you otherwise paying for an extra bed for your small children hikes the price up considerably. Of course, if you are all six footers or have older children the additional bed is a necessity.

This is a great weekend resort purely for the location, the quiet, the food and the lovely beach.

Room Tip: Don't do it unless you have a sea view chalet. Makes all the difference. You hear the waves la...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MinK26
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Though there is no swimming pool in the hotel and you will have to go to their sister hotels for it, the sea and the sand here are so good that you don't need a pool. Just walk out from you room and go straight to the shallow and calm sea water. The staff here are also very nice and polite. The worst thing is the wifi cannot reach our room and we need to go to the main building to use it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We travelled with my 2 toddlers - 3 and 1 yo and we could not have found a better stay! We had the sea view king sized room and it was perfect. The beach was vast and the water was shallow for a distance. We felt quite comfortable with the kids playing near the water's edge. The gardens were well tended so the kids were happy walking barefoot too.

The rooms were basic - fridge, bath, hair drier, TV and phone, and well decorated and maintained. And there was also a mosquito repellent in each room! We remembered to bring our mosquito patches and citronella spray this time.

The staff were very helpful and were ready to give us a ride in the buggy anytime! The buffet breakfast was a good spread - mix of Indian, local and western cuisines. The other restaurants were a short distance away - buggy (if you managed to hitch a ride), shuttle buses (30min frequency) or a nice relaxing stroll.

I loved the short holiday and miss it already...

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are worth the extra buck!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lashes03
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel
#4 of 36 in Bintan Island
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
#6 of 36 in Bintan Island

Been to Nirwana Gardens Mayang Sari Beach Resort? Share your experiences!