The resort is a quick 45 min ferry ride away. If budget permits, opt for Emerald class which allows for a separate check in lounge where you can wait in comfort with the coffee machine, biscuits, small playground for the children and generally a calmer boarding experience. On the Bintan side, Emerald Class passengers only need to show up at the counter with luggage, hand over their passports and wait confortably in the lounge while the staff clears immigration for them and checks in the luggage.
Mayang Sari itself consists of groups of wooden chalets that surround the beach. We stayed in 2 of the Dragonfly chalets and although we booked a garden view room, the chalets were built such that ours had a sea view too! The rooms are definitely old and basic. The floorboards have gaps and "retro" would be an apt description for the bathrooms. But both rooms and bathrooms were clean. We saw lines of black garden ants on one of our room walls but since we made sure not to leave any opened snacks in the room, they did not trouble us and disappeared once we turned on the lights and airconditioning in the room. We asked houskeeping to provide us with room slippers and once you slip these on, everything feels much better.
Do try the services at the Kedaton spa. Although prices at the hotel spa are double what may be available outside, the service and ambience make it worth the extra expense. We had lovely massages and there is a promotion in May for 2 people at $200 total. Our spa experience was 90 min long and included a footwash, tumeric scrub, yoghurt rub and aromatherapy massage. The manicure and pedicure experiences were equally enjoyable. Do note that mani/pedi services and the hair treatments are carried out at the Kedaton Spa Warung at Nirwana main hotel. This means that you need to take the Kedaton Spa car to Nirwana. The car will send your there and pick you up at the end of your spa treatment.
The food at the Kelong restaurant and Spice Restaurant were of a very good standard. Prices at the Kelong restaurant were not cheap but the seafood was very fresh. We had buffet dinner one night at the coffeeshop at Nirwana Gardens. That was the worst meal of the trip and one of the most expensive. At $34++ per person which isn't exactly peanuts, our table encountered a bad coconut, overcooked beef wellington, not-fresh scallops and mussels, sour vanilla for the crepe suzette and soured bananas in coconut milk. Skip this restaurant. We should have.
The food at the food court is decent as well. We ordered a few local dishes such as ayam kecap, ikan bakar and the bakso to share and these were freshly prepared and tasty.
Prices at the resort centre for souvenirs were the cheapest. The Mandaling shop at the resort centre also sells kopi lewak (civet cat coffee) in beautiful little boxes that make great gifts. The resort provided us with complimentary coupons for 2 free bowling games per room but sadly we didnt get a chance to use them. All the polo shops in the resort may carry different seasons clothing and hence discounts available may differ from shop to shop with the one at Nirwana Gardens being the most expensive and the one at mayang sari considerably cheaper. The only shop which carries childrens' polo clothes is the Nirwana Gardens gift shop.
Words such as rustic, quaint charm and simple describe mayang sari perfectly. The beach is suprisingly clean but there are jellyfish in the water. So if you do go to mayang sari, be prepared and you won't be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leave the world behind as you cruise to Mayang Sari Beach Resort Bintan - a rustic resort tucked away in a pretty little cove on Bintan Island. Set in unspoiled nature on the northern coast of Bintan Island, Mayang Sari Beach Resort offers the perfect haven for a brief respite or a long weekend. Wake up to fresh sea breeze and the lush beauty of a tropical beach. Each air-conditioned chalet is equipped with modern amenities and also has an attached bathroom and a private veranda that commands either a garden or sea view. *Mayang Sari Beach Resort guests have access to all facilities and restaurants within Nirwana Gardens ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, Travelocity, Fastbooking, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nirwan Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Hotel Lagoi
- Mayang Sari Beach Bintan
- Mayang Sari Beach Hotel Bintan
- Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort Bintan Island/Lagoi