The Canopi(Lagoi)
$94
$179
$126
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $144/night.

$152
$85
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $110/night.

$82
$486
$474
Travelocity
3,857 results
All reviewscircus teamchef de villagewaterfall restaurantspecial thanksaqua aerobicsnightly showsfriendly gosflying trapezefamily holidaygreat holidayspecial mentionevery mealbintan islandfree flowrestaurant managergreat familymain building
Reviewed January 19, 2009

This was our first Club Med stay, and it more than exceeded our expectations. We booked a four day holiday from Christmas Day onwards, directly on the Club Med Website.

We live in Singapore, so it was a ferry ride directly to Bintan. Sadly, the ride was a bit rough, and we did suffer a bit of seasickness. However, arrival at Bintan was quite easy, and we were the only ones that arrived and all alone on the bus ride to the resort.

Arriving at the resort, we were welcomed by the staff, and led directly to our room. The rooms were not five star, but were clean and the bed was quite comfortable.

We loved the food, relaxing atmosphere, and the friendly staff. Arriving on Christmas day, we go to enjoy some of the festivities, and took a lot of photos. The bars were also quite good, with a few mocktails, such as "Fresh Bintan", that were quite good.

Lots of sporting activities also available, even though we aren't sports oriented people, but we were kind of sad that we weren't able to use more of the facilities due to weather on the first few days.

At the end, enjoyed the trip very much, and exchanged emails with one of the staff, since she was so friendly. The ferry ride back to Singapore was much better, since they offered seasickness pills before the trip.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Fist I have to say, we are not the typical club med fellows and we will never become fans of 'all inclusive all day activities and get to know the all other guest' holydays. We came to Bintan quite spontaneously and the deal seamed to be good. We travel a lot around the world and see a lot of hotels and I must say the hotel has the friendliest and most helpful staff I ever experienced. They go the extra mile and want to make your stay to be unique. The food (buffet) is big with great quality. The hotel is perfectly organized, you arrive get your room, everything is prepared, you don't have to hassle to fill 10 forms and questions (even the baby crib was in the room as ordered; there were some baby soap and a bottle heater etc. in the room). The facilities are not so new and top but the staff makes the difference and was able to surprise us and to give us a great experience. A lot of 5 star hotel managers could learn a lot from manager Ryan and its staff the Club Med in Bintan.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelFlo08
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Overall, guess it evened out to be a good holiday but it didn't really suit our family holiday pattern. It was our lst club med holiday.

Our two teenage sons aka bottomless holes had a ball at the buffets. After 4 days of the general same spread tho, and having only two restaurants to eat at, it got pretty boring...and i personally hate eating to schedule. Our holidays tend to be about getting away from schedules and at the club, you'd better be prepared to make sure you are on time to do all the activities that are scheduled, if you want to get your moneys worth.

What we loved -

Activities - circus school, we went there specifically for that as it isn't offered anywhere else. My sons loved it...even my husband and i had a go. Trapeze crew are very professional and encouraging.

Foodwise - the fresh bread everyday was excellent! Two breakfasts, two lunches and massive dinners..good selection ...food heaven for my sons.

Rooms - had a flat screen and dvd player which came into good use the one of four days we were there, as it just poured all day. We were in ground floor terrace rooms which are spacious and well lit and easy to get to and from.

Archery - boys enjoyed it

Gym - lady who ran the boxing class was fun, and I enjoyed it.

What we could have done without:

Having GOs are our dinner table - feels awkward for all, and fake.

Some GOs obviously quite bored with their job and going thru the motions of being polite...quite off putting, and not relaxing. Think all of the GOs i saw with the little kids were excellent and very keen, but the rest seemed burnt out. I don't want to be on holiday, and HAVE to make conversation with someone who is obliged to make small talk with me..not a holiday.

Not being able to body surf as much as we'd like - weather that time of year meant strong undercurrents, rough seas and very limited sea sports.

Having our ferry return schedules messed up by the reception so we had to leave earlier on the last day then when we wanted.

Despite having paid for best rooms, our sons' room air con was on the blink most of the 4 nites. We got fed up of complaining about it, and left our connecting door open with our aircon cranked up to share.

Everyone tries really hard...haven't been to a resort where the GM is so visible in all the shows and on the grounds everyday. Tremendous effort but not a good fit for my family style.

All in all, we had a good time. Think it works better for families with young kids who can be entertained all day so parents can relax...we didn't need that service.

Reviewed January 4, 2009

My husband and I and our 2 children have just returned from Club Med Ria Bintan.
I hadn’t checked the weather for this time of the year before booking and we were disappointed to realise that because of the monsoon from October to April all the sea-activities advertised by Club Med are not available. No snorkelling or windsurfing, nor kayak or sailing. Black flag on the beach everyday meant no swimming in the sea.
I think this should be clearly indicated on their website as a warning.

The resort is beautiful and really well managed by Ryan.
The staff is wonderfully polite and helpful.
Our son (2 years-old) was very well looked after at the Petit -Club. Our daughter (5 and half) didn’t enjoy so much Mini-Club complaining about the fact that kids were not offered to choose their activities.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Cleaning could certainly be improved with proper cleaning products (ever heard of bleach??)

The buffets are of good quality. Although they are mainly Asian, the choice is great.

The ambiance of the main restaurant feels like a noisy refectory. It’s huge and it takes a bit of walking to reach the buffets if your table is at the other end of restaurant. Doors are never open on the outside, which is a shame, and thanks to this amazing invention called Air Conditioning, it is literally freezing. We complained several times about this and it seems that management prefers keeping “Singaporeans happy” rather that increasing the temperature. We ended up bringing a jumper for lunch and dinner. How ridiculous is that? What global warming??

The outside restaurant by the beach offers fantastic views and even if food is only a small selection of the main restaurant buffet, it’s still great to have a late lunch there in a relaxed and more grown-ups atmosphere and enjoy grilled seafood.

We went to the mangrove and our daughter loved it. A bit pricey but it’s worth it. We couldn’t do any other excursion because of the weather.

I loved the washing machine facility. Very useful with young children. You need to buy the coins at the shop to operate them but bring your washing powder/conditioner.

There is no magazines, newspapers or books on sell at the shop, so stock up before you go. I left several mags at the library and they were gone in 5 minutes.
Free Wifi from the rooms is great to catch-up with the news and send emails. There is also 3 computers by the business-center where you can surf the net, use a fax and print.

In conclusion, we had a nice time but the weather spoilt a little bit our holiday.

2  Thank calvmh
Reviewed January 2, 2009

The Good:- The beach and general scenery is lovely. You can stroll up the beach to the bar during the day and get a nice drink and it has a very relaxed feel. As we were having a little holiday with our three young kids, we stuck to eating in the main dining area, which is very much like a cafeteria. The food is excellent, with a large selection for each meal and of decent quality..I gained a ton of weight in one week! The actual eating area is very tired, very loud and as we grabbed the same table for most meals, noticed that the food our kids had dropped earlier or on the previous day, was still there..not good.
The Mini Club and Petit Club were both excellent - the staff of the mini club keeps the energy levels high and do lots of different activities during the day. Our 4 year old got to try the trapeze, high wire, played in the ocean with other kids, played in the pool, did various ball games and show activities. My 2 year old was also kept busy in the petit club and both kids were asleep before their heads hit the pillows. Most of the GOs were friendly, energetic and genuine and a I was really impressed with a couple of them. We also loved the fact that a hotel photographer got some great photos of our kids during the daily activities..we have a wonderful one of our 4 year old on the trapeze.

The Bad: Alright, I knew it was going to be bad when we were greeted at the entrance with a bunch of waving GO's. It seemed tacky and unnecessary but I think some people must like it. The song, "All I want for Christmas is You" was playing and I heard this played every time a new bus came in or one left...those poor GO's must have been driven mad by the repetition.
We went straight to lunch on arrival and things got worse. There were ants in the table water (that didn't happen again though) and it was full to capacity and very loud.
On arrival in our room, it was obvious that the cleaning job that had been done was terrible. There was still debris from the previous guests under the bed and lots of dust..there were lots of ants on the floor, which was made worse by the tic tac that had not been cleaned off the floor and had attracted many ants. We asked for the floor to be cleaned and they sprayed some bug spray. We had ant problems all week. The room was infested despite numerous spraying by me (you ban buy bug spray at hotel shop..that alone is worrying..they should be doing a better job of treating them...not selling spray for the guests to treat the problem) As an example of how bad it was - I put a half full Sprite can down for 2 minutes and when I picked it up, it was covered in ants...disgusting and very typical of the problem we encountered). They were under the bed, on the bed, in the closet, in the bathroom..basically everywhere. I really think that the Village Chief needed to spend more time making sure the cleaners were doing a better job than constantly making happy with the guests. Even the hotel linen/storage closets were nasty looking as you walked past an open one. I also didn't like the GO's eating with the guests - it is bizarre to me that hotel employees eat with paying guests. They were also expected to sit with guests; every meal we saw some poor GO put on their sales pitch asking, "Can I join you?" I have no idea why Club Med thinks this a good idea..the staff can't just relax and enjoy their well earned food and the guests are forced to make polite conversation. i told a GO that I thought it was hard for them and he admitted that they sometimes skip dinner because of it.
I liked the fact that they had a washer/drier room (it was never cleaned but I could still do laundry).
My husband got a great arm workout carrying the stroller up the stairs..there are lots of stairs and places where there are no elevators.

In summary..the staff, GOs and everyone else, do a great job and are very friendly. The room cleaners could do with some serious supervision though and our room needed a complete fogging to get rid of the ant problem. The kids clubs were great and our kids also loved the monkeys on the grounds and the lizards.

Would I go there again?
Probably not. I don't need luxury but I do want cleanliness and this hotel fails miserably - the dining hall, the rooms, the laundry area and around the grounds are all below par.

3  Thank Sheo333