“Excellent all round” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lagoi
australia
“Excellent all round”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2006

Travelled to Bintan (Nirwana Resort) for a September honeymoon and had an awesome time. It is only a 45 minute ferry trip from singapore (take medication if you suffer motion sickness). If you haven't been before make sure you also take some time to check out Singapore.

We were enchanted from the moment we reached the main entry of the resort. There was so much to do from the activities program to bike hire/sea activities, an elephant ride to visiting nearby markets. The horizon pool at the resort is truly stunning, and the beach is lovely, raked every morning. The staff all around are great, and the restaurant/other dining options serve delicious food. We had some fantastic spa treatments as well at nearby Angsana.

We hired a guide and drove around the island for a day, this you must do at least for one day - there are so many stunning spots you just cant reach by foot, stunning beaches around the island as well. I would have done at least 2/3 days as we just had so much fun (again take medication if you suffer motion sickness!) We had a great guide and experienced so much including culturally and a ride in a tiny boat in some pretty rough ocean!!

Note that Bintan is busier on weekends due to Singapore day-trippers/visitors.

No hesitations in recommending Nirwana/Bintan for a fantastic holiday!

• Liked — Location/beach and so much to do
  • Disliked — limited engish assistance at reception
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you do a tour of the island by car....you won't regret it!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank zara911

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

Another lovely weekend at the Nirwana - just 45 mins from Singapore via Ferry and a world away. Beautiful beach, very peaceful and nice hotel. Make sure you get a refrushished room as the others can be a bit tired but you don't spend much time in it anyway. The new suites are very nice with a four poster bed and lounge and excellent bathroom. As always the hotel staff are excellent - very pleasant and welcoming.
On arrival we were met by a beautiful dance and music troupe - a really nice touch (especially for my family I havd bought for the first time).
On the downside - no check in until after 3pm and check out at 12 - you can be hanging around if your ferry times don't tie up - the reception staff do their best to let you check out a little later but try to arrange your ferry to match in if at all possible.
And..it's much more expensive than it used to be..rooms are about 200SGD (includes excellent buffet breakfast), Ferry is 50SGD + and then the visa is $10 US - it all adds up to an expensive weekend - food in the hotel is about the same as Singapore prices and all prices are quoted in SGD.
Be aware of the visa requirements - and make sure you have an empty page in you passport as well as 6 months left on it - the visa takes a whole page!
All in all a lovely break and worth a visit.

• Liked — Plenty to do especially for kids
  • Disliked — Expensive..
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you passport has 6 months to run and an empty page for your visa
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank 1K
Stockholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2006

I was there with my 3 year old and 5 month old baby. After the immigration, there is the arrival hall where there are resort booths and representatives from resorts awaiting your arrival. The hotel representatives are very helpful- push chair and all. The bus had to go through security check (sense of security).

Upon arrival, the entrance to the lobby was flanked by fish ponds. (The kids club arrange fish feeding sessions). You are received with drinks. The lobby was beautiful. The floors are very clean (they vaccum the corridoors twice a day). The pool looks great. Food is ok. Featuring different food themes. Live entertainment in the restaurants. The pool side restaurants has performances. There are unfortunately no deck chairs on the beach, but on a built up area right before the beach. There are sand flies on the beach!

The hotel fog (to kill mosquitoes) the living areas several times a week (or every night, can't remember) So, remember to close all windows and balcony doors before sleeping! There are golf carts for rental where you can drive to other Nirwana resorts like the beach chalets for water activities and other restaurants. For children, there is a kids club where you can leave your children (unfortunately mine was under 4 years old). There is also a playground and plently of green areas. We had a cameleon visiting on our balcony swaying while it walks to "blend in with the movements of leaves".

Do watch out for centipedes at the pool side. Shake your towels before wrapping in them. I was bitten by one while wapping a towel around my waist. The pool attendent was very quick to bring me to the doctor and receive medication. There is also an iguana which has its nest near the pool and takes a dip in the evenings.

The spa was fantastic! A must! Before treatment you shower in an outdoor shower surrounded by plants. Then comes the message, followed by a soak in orchid shrewn warm bath and a health drink - which I never received.

• Liked — Fresh and clean
  • Tips/Secrets — Check if you need visa for Indonesia.
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Alltomresan
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this resort hotel in early March for three nights. I should note that we did not stay during the weekend, so it was very quiet. I'd say less than half occupancy. At least a dozen fun-loving Japanese in their twenties, some Koreans, and Singaporans too. The ferry from Singapore to Bintan takes about 45 minutes, but the ferry doesn't seem to be going really fast, and I wonder how long it'd take if it went faster.

I understand that the resorts in Bintan are new, and they probably want to be like Phuket or Bali. In this aspect, I think they have yet to succeed, as the standards in Bali are much higher. Our room was medium sized, according to the rate, but we didn't get a seaview one. Maybe since it was so quiet and empty, they could have upgraded us to a seaview room. I remember there were tiny ants in the bathroom. There isn't much to do in Bintan, and I can't imagine how this resort would have been if crowded. The shuttle bus serves the other resorts, and at the end of the road is a Chinese restaurant, which was actually quite good (I am Chinese). But, overall, for a short beach resort getaway close to Singapore it was quite enjoyable. Remember to bring sunblock and check the weather before going, especially during monsoon season, and remember that Bintan is in Indonesia, so there will be no pork in any of the meals or buffet meals.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

I stayed at the Mayang Sari for 5 days in a sea-view bungalow which was heaven as you have the sound of the waves and view of the water just outside your window. This was one of the reasons i decided on MS so if you love unobstructed views of the sea then this is a real winner. I arrived before check-in and my room was ready so I was able to check-in earlier. The bungalows are OK...very spacious for 2 people even with a child however was very disappointed with the standard. They definitely need an up-grade. This is not to say that the standard was unacceptable however the bathrooms are very tired and not modern in any way. I think they are originals from when the MS was built over 10 years ago. I'm not a total hygene freak however considering the fact that the resort advertises its spa as a place to relax and unwind you would expect this promise to be carried through into the rooms as I was hoping for a pampering experience which in turn requires a nice bathroom. This was the biggest disappointment and the bathroom was a place where I would only go when I had to. I'm not saying that it was unbearable but for the price and a 4 star resort the bathrooms did not even represent a business class standard. Was a bit disappointed with general information provided by reception/hotel on facilities, where, what and how...eg. where is b'fast, what time, which way to Nirwana pool, where is the spa...(information in the room was also limited with 4 pages in international dial numbers and little information on what, where, how etc). If it wasn't for the fact that I had read up on Mayang Sari and Nirwana before my stay I would not have known what was available etc.
The beach is magnificent, clean white sand, clean water and no crowds which is a big bonus. If you like the pool thing then the pool at Nirwana (pleasant 10 min walk) is very lovely. The pool area was busy but not annoying which was nice (maybe it was off-peak).

Staff are very pleasant and helpful ...but sometimes a little too helpful./eager I was at the kelong sea-food restaurant and I spent the whole meal with a waitress behind my back watching while I eat which was a little uncomfortable. I took a rest between bites and she thought I was finished and wanted to take my plate away...a little annoying considering I was after a relaxing lunch. But when it was time to ask for the bill I spent 10 mins trying to grab someone;s attention.
My F&B experience at the MS was only at breakfast and this also needs a little work. B'fast was basic and in general OK however not of a 4 /5star standard.holiday
Was also a little disappointed with day-trip offers. The only trip I was interested in was the dolphin tour as I was more on Bintan for a relaxation holiday. The trip was on offer and expressed interest however apparently there was a minimum number required (8 people) and in the end nothing was communicated to me whether there is a trip or not. Very strange...
Overall, I did enjoy my stay as it was very relaxing...apart for a few hiccups but in general I would recommend MS to all - mostly couples, elderly people looking for a quiet relaxing time...very romantic. For family trips..nirwana hotel is great!
Definitely would go to Bintan again...as it';s a lovely island (and a nice break inbetween trips to and from Europe) and if you dont like the crowds and typical tourist destinations then this is heaps better than any other popular/commercialised island! Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed May 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank violas736
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2006

This resort is terrific for a relaxing time on one of the most amazing beaches I have ever seen , we stayed in a beachfront room which is well worth the extra outlay.

The rooms are not exactly the most modern I have stayed in and the bathrooms could certainly do with a re-fit but it does the job and the relative cheap price for a beach fronted location reflects this , if you want stylish interiors there is an Ikea in Singapore that you could visit !

The staff are very pleasant and always great you with the most genuine and warmest of smiles , the locals are the same also.

There does seem to be a problem with some people not getting to check into their rooms as early as they would like , one english family spent half of their first day moaning that their room was not ready as they had arrived at 10 am , most hotels do not accept you until 2- 3pm so why the Mayang Sari should be any different I am not sure.

We arrived early at 10 am as well and just grabbed our towels from our cases and hit the beach and went back to reception at 2pm to be told another hour , fine back to the beach and see you then we thought !

Make the most of the best weather whilst you can as we had 2 complete days of rain out of 5 , so it took the edge off our stay.

The food served at the various resort facilities is very good although alcohol is very pricey , Lunch at Mana Mana resort is good as there is a better choice on the menu for those who dont want a blowout.Go for drinks at Calypso bar at Sunset , cocktails are reccommended here , long and strong ! .

All in all , great place to stay , top staff.

Stayed April 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2006

This place was really good. We went during the low season so not many tourists around but that leaves the whole place to ourselves.

Had the pool and poolside bed to ourselves, buffet table and gym and games.

The food was really nice. During the morning buffet, you can ask one of the chefs there to cook any type of egg you want (e.g. Scrambled, omelette), the rest are bacon(beef not pork), mini sausages, etc.

The weather was good as well but only the first day it rained. The rest was a nice gentle sun at times and since we had the poolside bed to ourselves, got a nice relaxing tan.

The beach was full of coral so not really good for swimming but you can move along to another resort beach which has the equipment for beach swimming and boating.

There is also a shuttle bus which takes you to a seafood restaurant, other resorts and the ferry pier.

Service was good and the staff were friendly.
The poolside restaurant was ok. I think one of the expensive meals were the King Prawns with Garlic cheese sauce which was $25(Singapore dollars) It was really delicious but you only get 2 King prawns, a small cup or shottie of rice and a shish kebab stick of vegatables. I liked the food but not the price.

Overall a good place to stay. I recommend this place but depending on the season, it is all up to you. High season, many tourists makes it full restaurant, full pool, full pool bar. Low season makes it empty pool, empty pool bar and empty restaurant.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank Otacon23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
The Sanchaya
#1 of 4 in Lagoi
Village Resort Grand Lagoi Bintan by Far East Hospitality
Bintan Lagoon Resort

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!