My wife and I booked a 2D1N stay at a deluxe room at Nirwana Resort Hotel in late December, for a short getaway (no thanks to the gloomy economic outlook!).
Given a host of other more pricey choices in Bintan, we went with guarded expectations. We were quietly optimistic though, given the numerous positive reviews given on this website.
We arrived at the hotel at 12pm Singapore time (which is 11am local time) and were told that our room was not ready but will be "guaranteed" ready by 3pm. Sensing our disappointment, the receptionist suggested that we go ahead and use the facilities first while we wait for our room. Encouraged, we changed into our swimwear and headed for the pool after leaving what we did not need in the safekeeping of the reception.
The pool was just as great as the sunny weather that welcomed us. We were given towels even though we did not had a room yet. The pool bar was swell too, the friendly bartender also offered to take care of the bill and charge it to our room. Good drinks (try the "Crazy Man" cocktail), even better service!
We had lunch at the poolside bar (pizza and pasta). Not fantastic but passable by our standards. Service was prompt and polite though.
At about 4pm, we decided that our room should be ready and thus proceeded to change up and headed for the reception. Surprisingly, it seemed that they were still unable to give us our room! But before I could even muster up a protest, we were offered a free upgrade to the Nirwana Suite!
Needless to say, the suite was a lot better than what we expected, and in fact, looked like it was recently renovated. Clean and fresh, the bathroom and bathtub were huge!
After settling down, we proceeded to book a spa package (S$315 for a 130 mins couple session).at Kedanton spa over at Mayang Sari at 5:30pm, a sister resort 5 mins away. At 5.15pm, the spa sent a car over to pick us up. Overall, we were quite happy with the treatment rendered though it was rather late by the time it ended. The spa driver then offered to drop us off at our next destination - which was the Kelong restaurant, for dinner.
For dinner, we opted for the 2-person 7 course set dinner (S$72++) - which we felt was great value. The ambience and setting was good too. Unfortunately, we were not able to head out to the cool looking Calypso bar for a drink for fear of missing the last shuttle bus.
Buffet breakfast at the Coffeeshop the following morning was ok too, and we did not wait long for our seats. However, I knew I shld have avoided the soft-boiled eggs. That seemed to be the culprit for my tummyache!
After breakfast, we went for a walk at the lovely beach and then a quick dip back in the pool again before packing up for check out at noon. Before our ferry ride at 3:30pm, we checked out the newly opened Resort Centre. The gym looked good and so did the other activities (like air-rifle shooting, paintball and archery). The bowling alley is still under construction.
Overall, we were happy with the place (not because we were upgraded, but because the place exceeded our expectations overall) and we would certainly visit it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nirwana Resort Hotel has 241 guestrooms including 29 suites, all with sweeping sea, pool or garden views. Full modern amenities and facilities are available to guests, and our ensemble of restaurants and bars will satisfy the most discerning taste buds. With a full and comprehensive range of activities lined up for guests, diverse interests and pursuits are matched with top quality facilities and services. *Nirwana Resort Hotel guests have access to all facilities and restaurants within Nirwana Gardens ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Expedia, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Hotwire, Fastbooking, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Hotel Lagoi
- Nirwana Hotel Lagoi
- Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel Bintan Island/Lagoi