“Amazing, superb, excellent service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel

Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lagoi
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing, superb, excellent service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Just returned from my second stay Nirwana Gardens Resort Hotel, and this time around, the stay was even better than my first! I chose to return to Nirwana Gardens Resort Hotel because I was really satisfied with my stay when I first went to Bintan a year ago.
My second stay recently topped my previous experience even more! The staff were all very friendly, not like in other hotels in other countries where most staff will only pay more attention to the caucasians. The staff at Nirwana Garden Resort Hotel were really attentive and friendly to everyone, young or old, asian or not. Check-in time was supposed to be at 1500hrs, but i arrived way earlier at about 1200hrs. The staff at could see that I was tired from the ferry trip and they attempted to give me my room asap.
The room? It was a Deluxe room that was newly renovated, saying that its beautiful is an understatement. It is amazing! Everything was newly furnished, the room is spacious, and they had also installed a rainbath shower in the bathroom!
There were hiccups during my 3-days stay in Bintan that caused me some unhappiness(which I will not mention here since its over), and I wrote an email to their General Manager. I was not expecting any replies because this is what normally happens with other hotels. But boy was I wrong! I received a reply an hour later! They offered me an upgrade to a suite room but as I was checking out the next day and was also really satisfied with my Deluxe room, I didn't want a change of room. The management at Nirwana Gardens Resort Hotel were really determined to make up for the unhappiness that they had caused me, hence, they provided me with a free dinner on my last night. After I checked out, they even offered me private transportation to the ferry terminal!
I am overwhelmed with their kind gesture and sincerity! I have never stay in a hotel with such amazing staff!
So, if you ever want to go to Bintan, do not hesitate. CHOOSE NIRWANA GARDENS RESORT HOTEL!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are newly renovated and closer to the private beach.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reginacps

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I would say the room quality quite depends on what type you choose. I had been there twice and stayed in 2 different range of rooms. If you are family with kids, likely the big pool is not a bad choice.

Nirwana Beach club - This is far from the pool & restaurant, consider near beach but I never explore that area. Do not trust what you see on the hotel website on the room pictures, they might have slightly different. It is "kampung" style, some of my colleagues cannot accept it. Beware of mosquitoes too.

Nirwana Resort Hotel - Like normal hotel room, quite good for standard, it is near pool, restaurant & beach.

Banyu Biru Villa - suitable for a group of 5-6 people. A bungalow style with kitchen attached. This is the best among the 3 I stayed(of course also most expensive), not very near to the pool and restaurant. Good thing is there are space for you to have outdoor activities, got living room, best for a gathering if you need personal space.

Although some of the rooms not near to the main lobby where the restaurant is, there is shuttle bus available and for those who stay in villa, you can call and get the free shuttle service(not bus more like a golf car style) anytime.

Breakfast consider quite standard and dinner at hotel was not bad too.

Room Tip: Go for villa if you are in a group of 4-6 people
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AmethystAme
NirwanaGardens, Management Team at Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Hi RainHa18,

Warm Greetings from Nirwana Gardens! Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

Nirwana Gardens provides a variety of accommodation types to suit the different needs and wants of our guests. We do apologize for the inconveniences experienced by your colleagues at Nirwana Beach Club, and we hope to welcome them back to experience our other properties, such as Nirwana Resort Hotel, Mayang Sari Beach Resort, Banyu Biru Villas or Indra Maya Pool Villas.

Your comments will be shared with our Management team, and we very much value them as it helps us in our ongoing efforts to serve our guests better and to anticipate their wants and needs.

It is a pleasure to read that you had chosen us as your vacation destination twice, and hope to welcome you back soon in the near future, be it for leisure or business.

Warm Regards,
Management Team
Nirwana Gardens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Desperately in need of a short break but unable to take any days off from work, a friend and I decided to head over to Nirwana Resort Hotel for the weekend instead.

The booking was done by my friend, and we reserved separate rooms for an overnight stay. I enjoy staying in upclass hotels when I travel, and my friend works in the hospitality industry, so we were initially not quite impressed by the resort, as the photos on its website made the place look mediocre at best. However, a weekend there did impress us - the service was friendly, the rooms were clean and proper, and the all-inclusive approach to the provision of dining options and activities in the resort were a winner.

Transfer from the Bintan ferry terminal to the hotel was fuss-free. You simply had to approach the Nirwana Resort's permanent counter at the ferry terminal building and staff will direct you to a waiting coach. A short wait later and we were on our way to the hotel, a transfer ride of about 5 minutes.

Check-in time seems to be quite strict at this hotel, as we were informed that an early check-in wasn't possible prior to departure. As we eventually arrived on a later ferry just in time for check-in there was no wait. Welcome drinks (a cheap syrup or cordial) was served once the bus made a stop at the hotel, and dancers were there to put up an interesting display of the local culture and music.

Our standard rooms faced a garden and were spotlessly clean, large and airy. The air conditioner in my room was not as cold as that in my friend's room, but it was breezy and certainly cool enough that I had to use a blanket at night. The rooms were furnished in a mix of Indonesian cultural motifs and modern chic - I liked the wood furniture and large closet. There was even a generous space for luggage. The double bed was larger than a standard queen, though smaller than a king. Sheets were clean and comfortable - we even checked the underside of the mattress! The bathroom was also spotless, with simple fixtures and a surprisingly large bath that was sparkling clean.

With our rooms just steps away from the beach, Nirwana Resort Hotel was a fantastic location for a relaxing break. There are lounge chairs and benches scattered all along the grassy patch that leads to the beach, but not quite enough as it was difficult to find one that is not occupied. The beach was a nice place for a stroll, and if you wanted to swim in the sea or pool, they have free towels.

When it comes to food and activities, there are plenty. While they are probably expensive by Indonesian standards, they are quite a steal compared to what a typical tourist would have to pay in Singapore. We made a prior booking for an air rifle session that was pretty fun, and cost only S$8 per person with a pre-booking discount. Getting around the resort is easy as well, with a free shuttle bus service that runs every half-hourly. Taking the bus to the Kelong area for pictures of the Bintan sunset was fantastic!

There were many options for food, and we chose Spice restaurant at the resort's Mayang Sari area for dinner. The total bill, which included an appetizer, two main courses and mocktails, was barely S$50 for the both of us! After dinner alcoholic drinks at the Resort Hotel's Dino Bistro were good too, for about $15 per cocktail.

Breakfast buffet, which was included in our room rate, was good for the room-inclusive price. Standard breakfast fare including sausages, eggs, cereal, salads, cheeses and pancakes were served. The breakfast crowd as a little noisy and chaotic, but it was a good, satisfying meal.

In all, we probably spent no more than S$50 per person aside from the room charge, and that included some small souvenirs we purchased at the hotel's gift shop.

Nirwana Gardens proved to be a nice, some-frills place for an excellent and stress-free weekend. We'll be going back again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank josada
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

We were looking for simple/clean quiet place for short trip from Sing to somewhere, not far, with main target to swim/rest on the beach with reasonably clean waters. So, Bintan looks good for this plan isnt it? First impression is pricing for ferry- almost 200$ for 2+1 family. Mmm, Batam may not have sunny beaches but will cost you at least 2 times less.
Next impression was Superior room. In short words its all old. We managed to upgrade to Deluxe but as one already mentioned here, it is stuffy and difficult sleeping (pillows from cheap cheap hotel, perhaps).
We should not forget that 95% of visitors are China tourists. Their kids, noise and manners are with them.
Our arrival was Saturday afternoon and loud/low class pop music was 100dB on swimming area (till 6pm or so).
But main impression came from OIL SPILL! Remember, our goal was to get rest on sunny beach. Look on pictures attached. No comments would be given further. According to hotel staff oil spill happened from ship accident week ago.But you can see that this beach will not be good for swimming for at least few years!.
Will we comeback? What for? You cant use beach, there is no comfortable low noise zone for resting, price is not adequate for service provided, no good food (on SG standards) etc... Better to try other place, but check about oil spill beforehand.

Room Tip: Yes, 3rd floor is lobby area and Deluxe is sort of good Superior kind of room :)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank StrollingDervish
Hi StrollingDervish,

We were very troubled to read on the unpleasant experiences you had during your vacation. Allow us to address the pressing issues as best as we can:

- Rooms
We are currently going through a gradual refurbishment process, to upgrade our rooms to meet the expectations of our guests. We apologize for the unpleasant impressions that you had of our Superior and Deluxe Premier rooms, and will forward your comments to our Management and Housekeeping departments to review and improve on accordingly.

- Oil spill on our beaches
Unfortunately we do not have much control with regards to this, especially during & after the monsoon season, however efforts and measures are continuously taken on our part to clean up the beaches daily and to inform our guests of the situation. Our staff at the beach and pool areas are available should our guests require assistance in removing tar stains.

At Nirwana Gardens, we pride ourselves in ensuring an enjoyable experience for our guests and are committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service. Your feedback will be forwarded to our respective Department Heads to review and improve on. We hope that your recent experience at our resort would not put us in your permanent disfavor, and we would love to have a second opportunity to welcome you back.

Warm Regards,
Management Team
Nirwana Gardens

Travelers are raving about these Lagoi hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

If you like sitting on beach/ near pool and doing nothing, you may enjoy this hotel, but we like to do lots of activities and adventure through the local area. Unfortunately this hotel ( and others) have purchased the whole top part of the island, and make it very difficult to leave the resort. there is no access to local transport/ buses and car hire is $60 for a tiny car for 2 hours!!! There is no access to any local restaurants,or any other culture.All activities and tours must be done through the hotel and they are expensive!!!
We booked as a break from a week in Singapore to have a beach break, but it was way too windy to snorkel. In fact out of 120 people on the ferry over , 24 were vomiting!!!
We thought we would kayak on the less windy side of the island, but even though there are kayaks there, it was closed. The ATv track was a joke...about 200m long in a loop!!The jet ski were $80 for 15 min...of course no one was using them.. Even table tennis wasn't free...you had to pay per hour...are you joking!!!
Entertainment at night...but not on the Tuesday when we were there.
Breakfast was good, as was the food at the cafe, though expensive by Indonesian standards,
The one great thing we did was grab a flyer as we got off the ferry and did a great fire fly/ mangroves and seafood dinner in the night...this was NOT through the hotel, and was terrific.

All in all we will not return, as we found it was dull with no interaction with locals, and too expensive to do any real activities.

Maybe stay at the other end of Bintan near the town...it is very pretty and worth a look around.

Room Tip: try another resort!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed as a family for 2 nights in January 2014. The resort is enormous, we didn't get to explore all of it.

The good points are the breakfast, the friendly staff, the layout of the resort and the pool. However the rooms leave a lot to be desired for this price point. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 storey villa. The accommodation was very spacious, however it was desperately in need of some money spent on it. If the rate had been 2/3 of what we were paying, we would have overlooked this, but when you are paying $500 per night, you don't want to see broken taps, broken tiles, aging cabinetry. The hot water was not working when we arrived and it wasn't until day 2 we found there was a switch to turn it on - this should have been shown to us.

If we had been staying longer than 2 nights we would have raised these issues but decided to live with them for the short stay we had.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MelbourneAnglo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a very big estate that include Nirwana Hotel, Beach club, Mayang Sari and bigger bungalows for big families. We arrived on the 11.05am ferry, did the check in procedure, took our lunch at Pool side restaurant and stayed at the pool suntanning till 3pm for check in. The pool is fantastic if you have kids as Club Med might be more high-end but other than the pool, I would suggest other hotels in Nirwana itself or other properties in Bintan. This hotel is choke full of groups of China tourist. No peace lying under the sun or having enjoyable quiet dinner. They were shouting and making so much noises everywhere. Mayang Sari looks simple but beautiful, chalet style room with direct open view of the beautiful sea but to use the pool, you need to take shuttle or walk (20mins) to the main hotel. Most importantly it is not as chaotic as the main hotel itself. We took the upgraded deluxe room but still disappointing, the room is stuffy and had difficulty sleeping. Lastly, pay a little more and opt for the Emerald class ferry ride. You get free use of the lounge with wifi access and be seated till its ready to board. On way back from Bintan, you just have to pass your passport to the staff and they will handle the immigration procedure while you get comfortable.

Room Tip: Get rooms on the highest floor (3rd level) to have easy access to the lobby
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fluffyjo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
The Sanchaya
#1 of 4 in Lagoi
Village Resort Grand Lagoi Bintan by Far East Hospitality
Bintan Lagoon Resort

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!