“Still great - and getting better!”

Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lagoi
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was my third visit to Nirwana - each trip has been a short visit with one of my daughters. Nirwana is a big complex, and this is Indonesia, so there are things that might be seen as not 'up to scratch' - the pool towels are a bit frayed (oh no!), the shower in the room isn't great (rarely used it anyway, just showered by the pool), and some parts of the resort are older and a bit jaded. Some of the food is a bit pedestrian. If nit-picking is your thing, you could find enough to spoil your holiday.

BUT, if you just want to enjoy glorious tropical weather in a stunning location with help from wonderfully friendly staff, this is your place. The horizon pool is stunning (my girls love the swim-up bar), and the rarely used beach is divine. My first stay was in the cabanas, and the little lake there has now blossomed into a magnificent lily pond. Nearby there's even a small zoo, featuring crocodiles, snakes, birds - and guinea pigs!

The buffet breakfast is generous and varied, and we could enjoy this enough to skip lunch (more time by the pool). There's a gym at the resort centre nearby, where you can also go 10 pin bowling, so we justified dinner by a couple of games and a good work-out. The gardens are immaculate, with the added bonus of the occasional iguana wandering by.

For tranquility and charm, go for the cabanas. We also like the main hotel, for ease of access to pool and other facilities.

Yes, it's not cheap, but in my view it's also not expensive considering the location and facilities.

2  Thank Malaytraveller48
Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Bought Deal.com.sg voucher and went with my girlfriend last week. Very nice resort with great swimming pool. Beautiful beach. The room I like it very much. Very Balinese and Holiday feel. Nearby got a Lotus pond, beautiful and lovely Lotus flower. Friendly staff. Will go again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewChistine
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Good location as it is only about 15-min shuttle from ferry terminal. Rather old resort, so the rooms are a little run-down BUT are being upgraded in phases. Bed is too hard and pillows too soft. Staff are friendly and helpful. Games operators take it slow and easy, so got to allocate more time for each game/activity. Flying fox, archery, and air rifle are good fun. Pool and the beach are great!! Quite a wide selection of eating options. Restaurant prices are a tad on the high side. A more reasonable option is the Makan Makan place at the Resort Centre ie games/activities centre. Buffet breakfast is quite good. Payments by credit card can only be made in rupiah, not the currency one made the room reservation in ie SGD, USD, etc. due to their local banking regulation, so guests may suffer forex margins twice ie when paying at hotel and at billing time by own credit card issuer.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgraded rooms.
2  Thank Wendy Y
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful, and service was excellent. But you can tell that the hotel has been around for a while... Bed sheets have holes and small stains on them, grouting between the tiles is black and wearing down and the wooden rails, beams and other parts of the hotel structure is faded in parts and looking worn.

Food is average (we tried the Dino Café and the basement coffeehouse) but the wait staff were warm and helpful. Our dinner at The Kelong was by far the best meal we had during the trip!

The beach provided hours of entertainment for the young kids (aged 6 & 7) - with clear water, small fish swimming around your ankles, crabs, hermit crabs, soft sand, beautiful sea shells and bits of coral... Just watch out for the occasional jellyfish!

The pool and kids club were also great for the kids, and they loved jumping on the trampoline (they wore the harness attached to bungee ropes and bounced higher than the trees... Some of the kids also learnt to do flips!)

One additional facility we appreciated was the shuttle service to Pasar Oleh Oleh Village, The Kelong, and all the other hotels & resorts in the Gardens. So for those who want to get away from the crowd at this resort, you can hop onto the bus and escape to the smaller resorts (Mayang Sari or Nirwana Beach Club).

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lin_Sg
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Booked through trip advisor after seeing rather good reviews from fellow advisors here and was there over a weekend.
The pre-stay was good as I've made special requests for my room and they bother to send a confirmation email to notify which I thought was thoughtful. The staff also helped to make my dinner reservation in advance.

The check-in process was pretty smooth but because we reached rather early around 12ish, we had to wait for about 1.5hours to check in at 1500. Although they agreed to my request of a sea view room previously in the email, I did not get it in the end. Was pretty disappointed but I do understand it was due to the peak period where it was the start of the 1 week school holidays + some rooms were being upgraded and hence the case. The hotel was fully packed mostly with families and their kids in tow. The wifi in the room was pretty weak but I'm not complaining since it was a vacation, definitely a good way to disconnect from the online world for awhile.

Kelong restaurant would be worth a try for its isolated location to see the sunset. But because it was raining on the few days we were there, we missed seeing a full-blown sunset.
The mayang sari beach was good as its quieter and much nicer than the beach at where we stayed.
Mangrove + fireflies tour was a good experience for city peeps whom have yet gotten a chance to see fireflies in action and not to mention the amazing star gazing opportunity from the boat.
Everything there is over-priced but I believe that's quite the norm at everywhere that is touristy.
Would also appreciate better if the hotel charges could have an option for us to pay in sgd$ too since the f&b & almost everything were mostly priced in sgd.

Well generally, it's a pretty good place for doing nothing and just lazing around but I would suggest going back when the rooms are being well upgraded as the rooms are pretty old by now. But the service staffs we've came across with were very smiley all the time and efficient too which definitely helped made our stay a better experience.

Room Tip: Request for a sea view room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmandaPX
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Was really attracted by the photographs of the resort on web. so I didn't hesitate paying more for the stay.

Reached earlier at 11am, went for lunch at the Dino Bistro.Service was good but food was average and expensive. We paid SGD60 for only two main courses which were not well-done. after that we waited very long for the check-in. Was a little impatient so we went to the counter to ask if the room was ready. The counter staff told us it was not ready but we saw the keys there on the counter, but still, we waited till finally 3pm ++. We thought the staff will notify us when the room was ready. But nope, we were there waiting...

everything else was ok but got to remind them for the extra bed. the view from our room was not bad. I guess that is the only thing that will attract me to visit this place again. Comparing to other resorts in Batam, Nirwana has better service, but everything there was so much more expensive.. feel a little cheated when the bill arrived.

1  Thank mongchachacha
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Bintan Bintan... You have a very long way to go if you want to continue surviving in the tourism industry. Having been to resorts in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Bali, and even Batam. I must say the only reason why Bintan can survive is perhaps the golfers who find it convenient and cheaper to play in Bintan compared to Singapore. You lose out big time to Thai resorts on service. Singapore resors wins hands down on service. Malaysian resorts win based on currency exchange and Bali is just simply Bali...cultural and colourful. My big pet peeve was the fact that if I had to be charged in Singapore currency, that you give me the option to be billed in my credit card in Singapore dollars and not convert it to Rupiah. Not only do I have to already pay for your exorbitant food prices in your resort, I have to deal with currency exchange issues which makes me feel like you are trying to rip me off. Even Batam resorts wins hands down because the food and shopping options are priced for locals and not rigged for tourists. I strongly urge Nirwana to rethink their pricing strategy in terms of f&b and credit card billing terms otherwise you will only have 1 time visitors who will never patronise your island again. Last but not least, I came here to your resort to celebrate my birthday and the dramatic irony of a service example is that I got an email from a hotel that I patronised in Switzerland in July and they bothered to send me an email. Nothing special was accorded to me (not that I expected any) but the example of the Swiss hotel's well wishes just shows how far off you have to go in terms of international standards.

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
#6 of 37 in Bintan Island
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!