The ferry ride from Tana Merah in Singapore gets you to one of the ferry terminals on Bintan. About half an hour later (less if you're willing to dish out S$ 10 to the Imagrasi) your visa is processed and you're on a bus headed for the resort.
The major problem that this resort has (and will probably continue to have for a while) is checking in. You will probably arrive at the resort at 12 noon, but you cant check in until 3 pm. This is because other guests who stayed the night before havent checked out yet. So you wait. You're free to have lunch, use the beach and the pool and basically laze around, without a room number allotted to you.
Even at 3 pm, there's no guarantee you will actually get a room. For example, we got ours at 4 pm. Obviously this leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth and your propensity to check out late increases as a result.
The resort otherwise is decent. The infinity pool is clean and expansive (watch out for the monitor lizard) and has a bunch of jacuzzi and children areas as well as an attached bar. The beach isnt the sort you'd like to be at. Full of seaweed and gravelly surface, you're better off walking 15 minutes to the adjoining Mayang Sari beach. Mayang Sari is another resort by Nirwana and the beach is nicer there.
The minibar was non-existent and the bed was too springy. The air conditioning is effective, but you may need to use the ceiling fan sometimes too! The breakfast spread is acceptable.
I fell in love with Indonesians and their food. People here are warm and friendly and the food is really to die for. Again, head over to the Spice restaurant at Mayang Sari and order for authentic Indonesian fare. Two of the service staff- Eni and Surya are particularly helpful.
Dont go by the spa rates at the resort. They're slightly overpriced. Instead head over to the resort center, up the road to your right. On the second floor, above the bowling alley is a brilliant spa. We got full-body, hour-long massages for S$ 30 a pop. You get a 10% discount if you go back there a second time, which is what we did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nirwana Resort Hotel has 241 guestrooms including 29 suites, all with sweeping sea, pool or garden views. Full modern amenities and facilities are available to guests, and our ensemble of restaurants and bars will satisfy the most discerning taste buds. With a full and comprehensive range of activities lined up for guests, diverse interests and pursuits are matched with top quality facilities and services. *Nirwana Resort Hotel guests have access to all facilities and restaurants within Nirwana Gardens ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Fastbooking, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Hotel Lagoi
- Nirwana Hotel Lagoi
- Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel Bintan Island/Lagoi