“Excellent Family Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lagoi
Brampton, Canada
“Excellent Family Hotel”
Reviewed March 12, 2008

We loved ur stay at Nirwana. First, we were allowed to check in early.Second, We were upgraded to a seafront view room and thirdly we were also able to check out late.

The beds however were narrow for a single bed. Prizes of buffet and ala carte meals at the restaurants were quite expensive at $25-35++

The pool was nice except that we were swimming with 3 baby komodo dragons in the pool.

All in all I would recommend this hotel for families with young children.

• Liked — check in early and late check out
  • Disliked — narrow beds and expensive food
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed March 12, 2008

stayed for 3 nights over a long weekend at Mayang Sari.

Rooms were quite ok, comfortable aircon but one thing was that the floorboards were VERY crickity and kinda creaked when walking around the room. the small verandah infront of our seaview chalet was superb.

some staff had problems understanding english, but were smart enough to rope in colleagues whom did, which was good. as this displayed their initiative and willingness to serve.

one nitnack to note is the food, or the lack of it. their dinner is of a limited selection, and even their BBQ themed night, seemed rather sparse, in terms of selection of BBQed items.

one thing to note, is the mosquitoes. being a tropical island, do bear in mind that it does breed mozzies. this mosquitoe problem is VERY evident at night and in the evenings, so be prepared with the lotions they provide (pink little sachets).

the beach is one of the nicer ones. clear pristine waters that let u see right to the bottom even if it was up to your chin.

The shuttle service that connects this part of the resort to the others is a big plus too. Do check with reception on the schedule.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2008

We wanted a relaxing few days, with golf, after travelling in Viet nam and Singapore. The pool and grounds at Nirwana Gardens are excellent, and the beach is kept very clean.We stayed in the hotel, upgraded from "superior" to "de luxe". On asking what this actually meant, it was a sea view. Perhaps a little unfair to compare with hotels in Singapore , but would describe room as " standard with sea view ". Bathroom needs some refurbishment ( perhaps with toilet seat that fits ! ) and we were unable to adjust the aircon in our room. The policy is to keep the window locked. We were on the second floor so security not an issue. After some discussion the staff eventually agreed to unlock window. At night with aircon off, window open and ceiling fan on it was much more pleasant than with fierce aircon.
Would agree wholeheartedly with previous review re food. First night had buffet in coffee shop. Dire. Breakfast there next morning, bread rolls looked and felt like still there from night before. Orange juice very "artificial " and very diluted. Disappointing choice of fresh fruit, on four of the five mornings the melon was hard and not ripe. Other meals in Dino's, Kelong and Korean were better, but even then no " must come again " factor. Staff were pleasant, and helpful in booking golf. Taxis expensive on Bintan .Would not rush back to this hotel, although to be fair it was not expensive. Would rather have paid more and had fresher, better quality food.
Had rather unsettling experience at Bintan immigration on arrival. On ascertaining that we were from U.K., the immigration officer offered to exchange his local currency for our U.K. pounds.
He became quite persistent, and we were uneasy about this. Eventually my husband told him that our U.K money was in our suitcases, which we would only collect once through immigration, at which point he let the matter drop.

• Liked — pool, beach and gardens
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Rocky Mountains
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I am not a fan of tropical island paradises, but after traveling in Asia for five weeks, I truly enjoyed the layout of this resort,, and the utter efficiency and friendliness of the staff get the highest marks. I would have liked to stay beyond the two days which were originally planned, but did not, for the following reason:
The food was terrible. They have several restaurants, and I had meals in three of them. In Asia, I usually do well with simple rice/vegetable or noodle dishes. With those, you usually get a safe nourishment which is also tasty. But everything I ordered here was disgusting (taste, smell, looks). Some was reheated from leftovers, and none of it seemed fresh and clean.
I can understand that this being a remote place, food will be more expensive, and I also understand that it is challenging to feed so many guests. But the kitchen management needs a major overhaul. The various foodcourts in Singapore malls are ten times better than this place, and there is basically no alternative to the resort food for the guests of the island.

• Liked — the staff, the staff, the location, the grounds
  • Disliked — the quality of the food !!!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2008

December is always a bad season to go to any resort in Indonesia. Lots of rain and hardly any sunshine, you will be better off in Thailand's Phuket than Bintan during the year end season.

Anyway, I booked a sea-facing deluxe room and added a bed for me, spouse and a 5 years old daughter. At nett S$200/- including breakfast (excluding ferry tickets) due to some company's corporate rates, it is superb value for money because...

Nirwana just got a recent facelift! Hurray! The whole place and rooms are now cleaner than before, pool is cleared up and rough edges smoothened and more restaurants (Korean, Poolside, etc) are set up.

Unfortunately, I requested for a King size bed and the room with it was occupied till even after 3pm check-in time (I arrived at 1pm). In the end, I switched to a room with two standalone beds (I should have opted for this earlier because it doesn't matter since there'll be a bed added next to any singular bed).

We were very happy with the room situated at a far corner on the right of lobby facing the sea (but there was construction works going on nearby to build a sea-facing Japanese restaurant). It was a quieter area and still a short walk if you avoid the corridoors to the lobby and instead walk from the open ground area (when it wasn't raining).

Morning breakfast was ok as usual. All our meals were taken at the nearby Kelong Restaurant (a short 3 minute free shuttle bus ride). This is an excellent seafood place at a cost slightly lower than Singapore. But crabs in December are usually in small sizes. You must try the 'gong-gong' the Indonesian equivalent of the French's escargo. For a price of S$10/- (small), S$15/- (M) and S$20/- (L), we had it at almost every meal (we ordered the medium size plate as we really love 'gong-gong'). The second must-have dish is the banana fritters - super yummy. Forget about the prawns. We didn't order any fish as fish is usually the most expensive dish in a seafood place.

Well, it rained on Day 1 so we stayed in the room and settled for the superb view of the sea (well, my girl was busy catching up with her DVDs cartoons). We managed to swim under cloudy sky on Day 2 for a short 3 hours in the morning before vacating the pool because of a down pour. On Day 3, it rained heavily in the morning and when we checked out, the sun was all out and merry....

This newly rennovated Nirwana Graden Resorts Hotel is really value for money. I would have to spend triple this amount for a 3D2N stay in Angsana 2 room suite (US$350/-+ per night and 1-for-1) and missed out on my favourite Kelong Seafood Restaurant (due to distance).

Again, year end is really a period of unpredictable rains in Bintan. But for the price and value, I will defintely go back again soon... when the sun is out...

• Liked — Newly rennovated and Value for Money
  • Disliked — Crowds
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Fussyman
Reviewed December 26, 2007

My husband and I have been to Nirwana Gardens many times. So for this Christmas we decided to revisit the place. I booked the hotel in early May and so I expect to get a better room.
A week before departure, I emailed the hotel to confirm my booking since I booked in early May via email and I thought just to be safe. However, I did not receive any reply. So I thought they might be really busy this time of the year and we proceed on with our planned trip.
My husband and I arrived on 23 Dec only to find out that my name wasn't on the bus list (Perhaps my name was too long for their website to capture). But they still allow us to get on the bus.
Upon arrival of the hotel counter, the staffs again, were having a hard time searching for my booking. After more than ten minutes of searching, the staff asked us to fill in a form for our particulars and assure us we will get our room at 2pm-2.30pm as I have requested early check in on our printed hotel voucher. But again, led to disappointment, we were only able to check in to our room at 3.15pm. Yet again, we told ourselves that it's is due to the holiday season. So we proceed to our room hoping to get our holiday mood started and not ruin it.
To our horror, we were allocated on the ground floor of the hotel, next they gym with noises to be heard, facing a toilet view of the poolside bar, with no towels at all in our toilet and with a toilet paper stuck up the room door peek-hole.
My husband has always been patient and carefree about anything. But this situation really burns him up. He went to the hotel counter again to demand an explanation of why did we get a 'toilet' view room and also the difference between a superior room and deluxe room, the lady counter staff couldn't answer. As my husband insisted that we were to change into another room, she reluctantly wave another key in my husband's face saying that we could move into another room at 4pm. She did not even say that she will do it immediately. Not satisfied with her answer, my husband requested to talk to the manager about it. Instead, she says that he should speak to another counter staff. Again, my husband insisted on speaking to the manager and she reluctantly saying, without pointing out 'the man in the white shirt'. How is my husband supposed to know who is the person in the white shirt??
Anyway, my husband managed to speak to the manager (was pointed out by another male employee) who is kind enough to handle the situation. So before 4pm, the manager send a male employee to escort us to our new room and to our surprise (we won't expecting it) he arranged a complimentary fruit basket to be send to our room as well after we'd settled in.
From then on, we finally are able to put the unhappiness that nearly ruin our holiday aside and start enjoying the resort like we used to know.
I am not being a sex-ist but I do realise the male staffs in Nirwana Hotel is more efficient, friendly and helpful than the female staffs who only tries to get away from problems. If any people from Nirwana Hotel is reading this, you should have a chat with the female staff whom was working on 23 Dec 07, Sunday at 2.30pm on the right side of the counter. I think she needed some attitude adjustment otherwise with this kind of employee, they will just get rid of the customers instead of bringing in more.
Other than the experience we had for a short while on 23 Dec, we have absolutely no complaints about anything and we enjoyed ourselves until 26 Dec when we check out.
Oh, by the way, if any of you wants to go there, do try their 'Ayam Bakar Kecap' - BBQ chicken with sweet sauce from their restaurant call The Coffee Shop. It is deliciously superb. That is also one of the reason we went back to Nirwana. Good food, good pool and good scenery (provided you get a good view).
At the same time, I do hope that you will not encounter the same staff we met on the first day. :p

• Liked — Food and great view
  • Disliked — Rude and unknowledgeable staff of the hotel their are working at. At least one staff is.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElizabethSingapore30
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Suprisingly good quality for a reasonable amount of money. Clean rooms with quite new-looking furniture, acceptable bathrooms and everything for a price which was really more than reasonable.
What I didn't like:
-bed on a wheels. Jeeez, I do understand it is easier to clean underneath, but it is definately a challenge to sleep in it ;) Not mentioning turning around and other acrobatic figures ;)
Other thing, people knocked at our door at nine o'clock in the morning asking if it is a good time to clean up the room.
Other than that the stay was OK. Food was average or below average (usual hotel scenario). Ambience, pool and the sea are really nice. Overall, great idea to spent there a weekend to relax.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank ziutka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
Grand Lagoi Village Bintan
#8 of 38 in Bintan Island
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!