“Bintan is still my Favourite Quickie!”

Bintan Lagoon Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Lagoi
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Bintan Island is my all-time-favorite-quickie from the fast-and-furious-fumes of the city life in Singapore. A mere 45minutes ride in the Bintan Resort Ferries Emerald Class' cushy armchair, with free-flow of beverages including beers, transports me to an enthralling island where beach, spa and adrenal activities awaits to invigorate my dull and tired body. The island is uniquely separated into two distinctive beaches: the Angsana, the Banyan Tree, and the Nirwana chain of resorts lies on a stretch of soft white sands with gentle waves on one coastline, while the two giants namely the Clubmed and Bintan Lagoon Resort faces a roaring seafront that caves into the golden brown sands along another coastline. The Angsana Bintan Resort and Spa and Banyan Tree Bintan share the same private beach; an alluring blue and soft white beach. It is perhaps also for this reason that they are pricier than the other resorts. Of all the resorts in Bintan, the water clarity at the Angsana/Banyan beach is often at its best, and its color most bewitching. Do note that the water clarity may be affected during monsoon seasons.

Storm riders ran fervently for the high waves that came crashing in on them at the Bintan Lagoon Resort's beach. Action was the only constant as beach boys and girls jumped along with the raging waves, catching in the thrill, and gulping some mouthfuls of seawater. I, too, was no exception. The waves swept me off my feet, landing on the seabed with sands splattered over my face - ouch.

But the Bintan Lagoon Resort was not all so exhaustive; behind the roaring beach was a spacious green field, where a handful of thatched huts were scattered, and guests were pampered by rhythmical massages, lulling them into a lazy afternoon nap.

As the Bintan Lagoon Resort is seated uphill, we had a tiring time walking up and down the hill just to get to the beach, and the tough got tougher after we were drenched and exhausted from the sea-sports. And for this reason, Bintan Lagoon Resort is not recommended for the old, feeble, or lazy bums.

If you had read reviews that the rooms at Bintan Lagoon Resort were dirty and run-down, it was because they were referring to the old rooms! The newly renovated rooms were tastefully designed: sleek, clean, and cozy. I loved to snuggle in the room after a rugged day and enjoy the in-room entertainment. .. for pictures and more information, log on to https://travelwithsuying.com/Bintan.php

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelPeeker

Reviewed July 15, 2010

I recently had a two night stay at the Bintan Lagoon Resort.
I was very happy with the hotel but do not bother paying the extra for a "sea facing" room. The majority of the "sea facing" rooms do not have a sea view as suggested they simply face in the direction of the ocean.
This was the only disappointment with the Bintan Lagoon Resort.
The staff are welcoming and friendly, the hotel is very clean and the rooms are slightly larger than a normal hotel room.
The pool area is quiet and relaxing.
The rate we paid included daily buffet breakfast which was of good quality and had plenty of choice.
All the food and beverages in hotel are edging towards the expensive side but I enjoyed all the meals. The location of the hotel does not allow you to walk out and find another option so you are restricted to eating at the hotel.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank TLS72
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I visited Bintan Lagoon Resort in May during my Honeymoon trip to Singapore (4 Days) and Bintan (2 days). I found this resort to be a great destination to relax and rejuvenate. After 4 hectic/ fun days in Singapore, Bintan was the perfect location to unwind and relax.

The resort offers excellent variety of food with a special mention to amazingly delicious Pizzas at 3 Degree Restaurant. This place is highly recommended for its ambience overlooking a long coast line. Other restaurants also such a Orzo are nothin short of delight. Even the Room Service menu has a large variety of food to offer including mouth watering Indian food (for those who love having Indian). Buffet Breakfast at Kopi-o was excellent with a lot of variety to choose from. Only suggestion is that it should be converted in to an airconditioned area as the tropical weather demands the same.

As a city, Bintan has little to offer apart from the resort where you are putting up. Pasar ole ole market, the only place to visit outside your resort, is approx. 20 min from Bintan Lagoon Resort and it is a very dull place with nothing much to do.

I recommend anyone who visits Bintan should just stay in the resort and enjoy there facilities. Bintan Lagoon Resort has a good leisure centre with loads of activities such as cycling, table tennis, lawn tennis, gym and several other indoor games to keep you busy. Though remember that most of them have a charge. Water sports lovers can also indulge in a lot of activities as well in this resort.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank meher_kt
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My friends and I went to Bintan Lagoon Resort last weekend (3-4 July 2010) expecting to have a fantastic time. Instead, we had terrible service and a dusty, run-down villa that was had worms in the pool and bed bugs. We will elaborate more.

When we arrived at the Bintan Ferry Terminal at 12 noon, we were greeted by the BLR staff and upon telling him that we had 10 pax in our group, we were told that there was not enough space on the bus. We told them that we would have our lunch and would wait for the next shuttle which was 2pm. We waited till 1.30pm and finally found the staff and boarded the bus. In which, we were left alone to wait till 3pm. Finally, we were sent to the resort. It was a late check-in for us and we wasted 3 hours.

When I explained to the staff what had happened, he told me that it was our fault as we did not tell their staff that we were taking the next shuttle. ???
We let that go. I took a look at the booking and realised they had only billed me for 2 extra beds. When I pursued that, they told me they could only prepare 2 beds and that I had not booked the extra bed. I insisted that I had, and showed my booking and they kept quiet and finally relented.

The villa was kinda run-down and dusty. Although the view was fantastic and proximity to the beach excellent. What was terrible was that we spotted 6-8 worms coming out of the villa's private swimming pool. We could not use the pool. In the morning, my friend's back was full of bed bug bites. The toilet flush didnt work very often, resulting in water running continously or not being able to flush at all. My friends who were sensitive to dust, were sneezing and in the end, had to take anti-histamines.

We do feel that BLR has a lot of potential, if only they spruce up the service and maintain the villa better. No worms!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank HolidayDreamz
RaeTang, Public Relations Manager at Bintan Lagoon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2010

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your review and we are sorry that your stay with us has not been up to expecations. We would like to assure you that it is not the standard we have set for ourselves at the resort.

Pertaining to your transfer from the ferry terminal to the resort, we do apologise for the miscommunication, as our colleague was under the impression that your group would like to have lunch at the ferry terminal and board the next shuttle instead. In the occasion that the resort coach is full, our colleagues will make it a point to return to the ferry terminal to pick up the remaining guests.

As our pools are maintained on a regular basis and treated with chlorine, your comment on finding worms in the pool came as a surprise to us. Our pest control have also done a bed bug scan recently in the villas due to a previous complaint but did not have conclusive results.
The bites you mentioned could be due to sandfly bites instead but nevertheless, we are thankful that you have highlighted these to us. We are in the midst of investigating these problems with the pest control company currently to ensure a high level of comfort for our guests in the resort.

Please accept our apologies for the series of unfortunate events in the resort and we will work on your feedback to live up to our full potential, as you have pointed out. We look forward to improving your impression of the Bintan Lagoon Resort on your next visit.

Regards,
Rae Tang | Marketing Communications Manager
for Bintan Lagoon Resort
managed by 3 Degrees Hospitality

Reviewed July 2, 2010

It was an interesting to the beach resort in Bintan, situated at the extreme eastern edge of all the resorts. The resort is well known for it's golf course, for golfers check this place out, a beachfront course to enjoy. For family activities, the activity centre is packed with activities for all ages. What was interesting was all the expenses were in Singapore Dollars in an Indonesia island, all my local curencies were hardly ultilised. Converting between currencies resulted in a higher cost inccured in the purchases.

The day trip to Pasar ole ole was an disappointment, claimed to have the most number of stores but they can be generally grouped into clothes, sourvenirs and food, all items solded at similar and also similiar cost.

The restaurants in the resorts are recommended, costing are typical of 5 star hotels, worth a visit are the 3 degree signature restaurant by the beachfront and the Japanese restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Ethan S
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The Bintan Lagoon resort is a 20 minute bus ride from the jetty. The resort spans a few acres and boasts a golf course, swimming pool, spa and a variety of restaurants to choose from.

We had an enjoyable time at the resort - is a rather relaxing place to be, less than two minutes from the beach. The buffet breakfast is truly divine - has huge variety of everything you can imagine. The resort's Italian restaurant was also rather memorable.

One can take a snorkeling trip out in the sea (10 minute boat ride) as organized by the resort's staff. The snorkeling there is really great.

The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. The resort also has a few souviner shops to buy a few momentos for keepsake.

Although reasonably priced, it would be worth noting that although Bintan is in Indonesia, all prices at this resort are quoted in Singapore Dollars.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Back in 2006, I had a fantastic stay in this hotel (deluxe room) and since first impression lasts, I didn't let some of the things affect my opinion of this resort which I still think highly of. This time, we booked the Angsoka Villa, and the pool within the Villa is fantastic to have. The Villa is also large and fully air-conditioned and we were happy to be able to watch all the World Cup matches. The beach remains as majestic as in 2006 and the food in the buffet breakfast remains very good. The best part of the Villa is having your own buggy.

Some of the things which I am going to mention may irritate some guests if it happens to them but I didn't want these to overshadow my two generally good stays here.

1. We were surprised that there was no towel in the Villa. When we called up, we were told they were currently experiencing a shortage of towels. The finally brought us towels only after 8pm!!

2. The toiletries were far too little. The new bottles for the shower gel, shampoo were so small compared to 2006 and they were not replaced each day.

3. The cleaning service was also not thorough and my room was actually completely missed. Bed not done up even though the door in my room was unlocked. There were stains on the blacket, including blood stains. Hmmm.....

Anyway.....due to my generally good experiences here, I was not too fussy about these things and I believe I will come back again, especially if in future, the ferry can alight right here at the resort!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank bungee_cairns
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoi
Angsana Bintan
#6 of 37 in Bintan Island
The Sanchaya
The Sanchaya
#1 of 8 in Lagoi

Been to Bintan Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!