We have returned after spending a week (14th-21st Nov) at this resort. If you have read the reviews and been to the resort website you may think this is a good bet. In reality this is a very basic three star hotel and a disappointing one at that. The resort comprises of a main block leading down to three tiers of so called villas. The poolside villas are the largest and they get smaller as you go back towards the main block. All are in need of maintenance, updating and a good clean. What will surprise you is that these villas are not detached but consist of 2 or 3 units that have interconnecting doors!!!! Not in the least private!!!!
The rooms are dated and furnished poorly with little storage space for two people. There is no room safe but the resort offers a rudimentary security box which is free. If you are lucky you'll get a room that functions and is bareable at worst you will get a room that has cockroaches, where the shower trickles water, and where your mattress is a breeding ground (you being the evening meal). The bed sheets/linen and towels were all stained and had gone well past their sell buy date. We had the breakfast option and in fairness it was ok. The service is lousy and if there's a group or convention they will get priority over you. They offer both Indian and western food buffet style but the choice gets a little boring after a few days. The staff at the resort are always friendly and helpful. There is also a restaurant for evening meals but we wouldn't recommend more than one visit. The choice is very poor, the quality and standard inconsistent and it's expensive. The problem with this hotel for tourists is that it is a distance from Varca town and other facilities in this immediate area. As a result you are at their mercy-they can charge what they like as there is no competition and they operate a taxi cartel should you want to escape!!! Whilst we were there -only a few of the beach shacks were opened because of licencing issues and it was a trek down the beach to find one open. Whilst this wasn't a problem in the daytime in the evening with no lights and knowing the dogs are about can be a little daunting but we found it safe and the best option. Not all the shacks offer Goan cuisine as many have come from Delhi and Bengal to trade.One shack we would definetely recommend is called the SEAGULL it flies the ST.George flag and the Rainbow flag so you can't miss it 's just passed the Ramada. Not much to look at but food is fragrant. tasty and enjoyable. Should you get to Cavelossim the next village along go to the River Cafe again you will not be disappointed.
Whilst the resort accommodation is shabby and lacking this is not the case for the grounds-- which are lovely and well maintained. The beach extends for miles and the good thing is it is pretty much deserted. The sea is pleasantly warm but be aware the tides here are very strong. Unfortunately the sea and beach show clear signs of pollution--so be careful where you choose to swim as the water in parts is poorly oxygenated and scummy deposits line the beach---which is such a shame!
If you want to relax stay on the beach then Varca Palms is ok but don't expect more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Varca Palms Beach Resort, Goa is located on one of the most magnificent beaches in Goa with 27 kilometers of golden sand, just 45 minutes from the Dabolim airport and within reach of every major tourist attraction. Located on a sprawling 14-acre property off the splendid Varca beach, the Resort is a lush tropical paradise that promises you a picture-perfect vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Varca Palms Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Varca Palms Beach Hotel Varca
- Varca Palms Beach Resort Goa