Review Highlights
Even the locals don't know about this place

I'd seen this place on google maps before we headed out to Iceland from Australia. I had no idea... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
bulli
Wollongong, Australia
Best Unpromoted Attraction Ever

Marimo moss balls are small balls of green algae that have the velvety texture of moss. I had... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Terterb
North Bay, Canada

All reviews eggs different languages arctic char press a button display case glass cases lake myvatn collection architecture telescope information specimens inhabit winter midges nature road
Reviewed July 20, 2017

A lovely museum to visit, not only it helps to see and therefore better recognize the birds that are flying all around, but also there are the eggs of the young and bits of information about the birds. Where they winter, where summer etc. all very informative

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank Marion M
Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

Because my teenage daughters wanted to go there we went to this museum. Although I am not very keen on stuffed birds this little museum,I must admit,was quite interesting. The birds and eggs were presented in an fairly attractive room with much detailed information in different languages. All in all we stayed there for about an hour and enjoyed a lovely coffee outside of the little cafe. Staff was very friendly indeed.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank PIA K
Reviewed June 30, 2017

We spent an interesting hour in this museum. It was lovely and warm, an escape from the cold wind outside. There are hundreds of birds displayed in glass cases. Most are very well presented and labelled.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed June 16, 2017 via mobile

This is an extra when looking at birds on lake myvitn. The area around the museum seemed to have a greater variety of birds than elsewhere on the lake. Nice reserve cafe with scopes available and nice viewing area. All free. You pay to go into the museum itself. 7 cases of stuffed birds, beautifully displayed. There is a second hall round the back which was also good with a 1930 s motor boat used to transport locals across the lake and other artifacts. This is a quality reserve hq.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed December 12, 2016

Went there last summer with my wife. Surprised I was the this museum was magnificent a hidden gem. Had some soup there also and it was ok. We will be back some day.

Date of experience: July 2016