Ways to Experience Hengifoss Waterfall
from $1,618.23
More Info
from $1,867.54
More Info
All reviews parking lot nice hike car park basalt columns long hike steep climb km walk parking area nice view enjoy the view well worth the effort half way red clay beautiful fall en route beautiful vistas falling water
Selected filters
Reviewed July 7, 2015

The hike is all uphill but worth it. You need to wear gloves, hat, polar fleece and shell as the weather could be very cold and damp (July was 4 degrees). The lower falls are quite majestic and surrounded by Basalt columns. The upper falls are 1/2 hour away from the lower falls. I made it partway from the lower to upper falls but the path got to narrow for my taste and with the heavy wind, I decided to wait for my husband to complete the walk without me. He loved the upper falls as well but said that although they are taller, the geology around the lower falls is more interesting. It took 45 minutes each way.

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank Leah C
Reviewed July 3, 2015 via mobile

Lilafoss first, open path going through sheep pastures. Very large waterfall w unique red clay and soil layers in between basalt flows. Lovely fault on the right hand side. We heard rock fall. Impressive really

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank vinni f
Reviewed May 28, 2015 via mobile

They said it was 30 minutes one way and maybe if you were a trail runner it could be done in that time frame. However, as soon as you leave the parking lot, it is up and up and up. So, you need to be in decent shape to make it to the end of the canyon where you stand beneath the beautiful Hengifoss Waterfall. We thought it was great. In May, it was somewhat tricky to cross the last section to get under the falls - you have to skip among the rocks to get to the path on the other side of the river. Great workout and killer views across the valley on the return!

Date of experience: May 2015
2  Thank pfefmeister
Reviewed May 17, 2015

We hiked here in mid-May and it was amazing. Be prepared though! Make sure you have lots of water and food and take breaks if you need to. I consider myself a fairly active person and I was definitely light-headed and dizzy halfway up. The terrain is fairly good halfway up but then it gets more rough. You can get so close to the waterfalls and get some great pictures. There were ducks and birds swooping around us as we hiked and the view is crazy. Definitely recommend this hike! It started raining on the way back down the mountain and I was glad to have packed many different layers.

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank B B
Reviewed March 24, 2015

we were absolutely unprepared for this trek! we had no idea that it would take us 1.5 hrs to reach the top! we reached the falls after a long days drive and were a bit tired.

started the walk at 5 30 in the evening and reached the top only by 7! it does get steep in some places.

the view from the top is amazing! would recommend to anyone wit moderate fitness levels!

PS: Google maps has a wrong location for this. be cautious when following directions on Google maps.

Date of experience: September 2014