Angmagssalik Hotel
    • Restaurant
    Very Good 4/5
    • Restaurant
    Great 4.5/5
      All reviewssteep hillin townboat tripcomfortable hotelamazing viewsnorthern lightsblackout curtainsan adventureremote locationdining areamain courserooms are smalldining roomenjoy the viewchairs scrapingreal hotelhotel kulusuk
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed July 13, 2012

I ended up staying here because its the hotel used by Air Iceland for their "A Different World" package. There is scant information out there on traveling to Greenland, especially in the East but I've always wanted to visit so opted for a complete package rather than trying to book this on my own.
      I arrived on Monday June 10th with a few other tourists on the same helicopter. Some of us went to the Red House and 2 of us to Angmagssalik Hotel. Someone at the heliport called the hotel for us and a van appeared a few minutes later to drive us and our luggage up the steep climb to the hotel. Indeed that hill was the only hard part of my stay.
      On arrival, I was provided with an extremely useful brochure with a map of the area. Everyone was very willing to provide travel advice as well. Because of the great weather (cool and sunny) I spent most of my time outdoors hiking around various parts of town and in the Valley of Flowers.
      Unfortunately, this was a difficult time to travel in Tasiilaq. Enough of the snow and ice had disappeared so that there was no more dogsledding - I had heard from a tourist that 2 weeks or 3 weeks ago there had been enough ice to dogsled across the fjord. However, there was too much ice, so boats (and the summer shipment of supplies) were delayed and the boat tours cancelled. However, the hotel did their best and even on the last night of my stay were still calling around to see if there was a way to do a late night (remember the sun is still up!) boat tour for the guests who were leaving the next day.
      Given the conditions, the food was still amazing. Definitely a Scandinavian slant and few vegetables (at this time all the fresh food had to come in by air from Iceland then by helicopter from Kulusuk). There was a hot water heater in my room and I could make tea or instant coffee from the packets provided. The bar looked inviting and during meals someone would come over to your table to ask you if wanted anything to drink.
      From the location I did several short hikes daily. I continually ran into the same 3 tourists though. The ones staying at the Red House had to self-cater as the restaurant was closed.
      I didn't come here to do any souvenir shopping but there is a small shop attached to the hotel where I was able to buy some postcards and stamps and put it on my hotel bill. The prices seemed similar to what I would have paid at the other shops in town. If you like local crafts there is a workshop a short ways down the hill towards town and in town the Museum also carries locally made goods.
      The hotel also posted our departure times at the heliport and were ready to take each person or group depending on when their helicopter was leaving. No worries about missing the flight. However, on the last day of my stay there was terrible fog. Someone at the hotel stayed in contact with the heliport while we waited in the lobby to see if we would get out of town that day. As soon as there was an opening for the helicopter to land and take off the heliport called for us they had the van ready to take us there.
      All in all, I had a great time and want to go back. Given the physically limitations of the location I was amazed at the hotel service which seemed on par with some of the fanciest places I’ve stayed at in the past.

Room Tip: I had a room facing towards the bay with beautiful views. The walls are paper thin so you may want ear plugs. Bring coffee making supplies - getting coffee outside of the dining at the hotel proved tricky. Next time I'll bring my travel coffee making set and a small thermos.
      • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
      8  Thank Julia M
      Reviewed June 22, 2012

So I just came back from Iceland and Greenland, and had an amazing time. When in Tasiilaq, I rented the blue house from Lars Anker for the same price as the standard room in the hotel Angmagssalik. I did so because of all the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. So one day I decided to visit the hotel as it was just a few minutes away from my place and wanted to see my self the reason why such bad reviews. I was greeted by Jesper at the front desk and I told him I looking to have a cup of coffee, and believe me, there WAS NO PLACE for coffee in this town, the only place open a pizzeria . So while sipping my coffee I asked to see the rooms and he obliged. Everything looked clean and very nice, and the view of the town from the rooms were amazing. The lobby and restaurant also very nice. The food, one of the guests was eating looked very appetizing. I wanted to eat there but because the fjord was closed the food was scarce and only guest were served, and for others a 24h notice must be given. Anyway, I think when in this part of the world you cannot really expect a lot as the weather affects the hotel industry. If you looking for a 5 star hotel, look elsewhere in the world. This is all about natural beauty..............and a stay here would be a nice one. After what I saw, I certainly would have stayed there. George Stiros

Room Tip: Again I did not stay at this hotel and I can only say all the rooms facing the town were basic, but very clean.The staff very friendly, and the lobby very welcoming. I would think when the hotel get crowed the top floor corner rooms will be the best.
      • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
      11  Thank geoFortLee_Nj
      Reviewed January 8, 2012

The fact there is no competition makes this a horrible place to stay.

Firstly, they did not pick me up from heliport meaning I had to carry all my staff up the steep hill. Never confirmed my reservation as they say they don't trust internet...
      Receptions too relaxed, I was afraid that if I upset him, I may have to sleep outside. Rooms are smaller than storage cupboards in other hotels. Not particularly clean either. Paper thin walls makes it very noisy. Food is just horrible but expensive.

The only good part is that you are surrounded by so much natural beauty that may just compensate the hotel :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
      7  Thank MariuszKluzniak
      Reviewed August 26, 2011

As the only real hotel/lodge there, it is livable for the two days I stayed. Rooms are clean, but basic. Bring eye covers unless you like the 24 hour light and can sleep with it. Don't leave windows open unless you like the bugs.
      Since this part of Greenland does not have any other food service ( called restaurants most other places), the basic food at this hotel will have to do for the time you are there. There are grocery stores where you can buy soda. cookies, etc to tied you over. but you have to walk the hills, no public transportation. Your group leader will take care of getting around. The staff is great and eager to please. You will be pleased with the stark beauty of the place and can cross it off your bucket list. Kulusuk (where you will probably stay the first night is about the same, but only pop. 400. Don't pet the sled dogs, they are 1/2 wolf.

Room Tip: view of the valley below.
      • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
      4  Thank tvlbuddy
      Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed at this 'hotel' (and I i use the word with some trepidation) in July 2011 with a group of photographers to shoot the incredible landscape of Eastern Greenland. After a less than pleasurable experience at the sister hotel in Kulusuk, i'm afraid things were not much better here. The staff were young Danes and other Europeans with little or no experience of the hotel industry - not really their fault as they should have been trained - and the very moody teenage daughter of the manager who clearly didn't want to be there kept you waiting a good 20 minutes each time you wanted something from the bar, even though there was no one else there at the time. The rooms were hot, too light and very basic. The food was the blandest I've had since school, and like in Kulusuk served at 6pm prompt (too early) the decor and style was late seventies holiday camp (not in itself a problem as we were there to see the country, but when combined with the other problems...). Be warned that the hotel is at the top of the village, so if you want to 'pop' down to the harbour on foot the climb back up is monstrous - you need to be very fit.

I travel a great deal and in remote places like Greenland don't expect incredible standards of accommodation. What I do expect though is to be treated like a paying customer rather than a nuisance, and for my accommodation to meet the requirements that will provide me with a comfortable nights sleep - or else what is the point.

A thoroughly miserable affair, and should be avoided at all cost, at least until the owner of the place wises up, modernises, cleans, and most importantly replaces the inadequate manager. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business