The George Hotel
TripAdvisor
Westdown Farm(Hatherleigh)
Pitchup.com
All reviewswet roomroll top bathposter bedthe pubtwo nightson arrivallovely hoteldisabled roomcar parkgreat showergreat weekendyogurtwarm welcomelovely rooma lovely stayfull english breakfastdartmoor
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Was really looking forward to my break away with my mum, we booked one of the voucher deals on offer.
I think what really frustrates me about places like the George is that it has the potential to be a great place but its the little things that they havent got right..
Looking at other reviews its exactly what i thought.
Breakfast was really bad, no milk, butter,jams/marmalades on table,in fact the milk carton was just left on the main dresser where people helped themselves, didnt look great! I asked for some semi-skimmed milk, and the young lady bought me the carton straight from the fridge!! and handed it to me! aagh..
Evening meal- the food was okay, but portions far to big,i love my food but i couldnt finish what i was eating and i noticed the couple accross from me leaving quite a lot on there plate, poor chef must have been thinking people didnt like his food?? Not great on the Hotels profit margins is it?
The rooms were really modern and was impressed, it was only later in th evening when i couldnt sleep due to generators/fridges/washing machines continually running most of the night and then 630am it all kicked in again, like a vibrating room- do not stay in room 11- such a shame, as view was great..
Also noticed on our second day that housekeeping didnt replace the shower gels and didnt even remove the empty ones which was a bit strange, it was a good job there was a small bar of soap by the sink..
The staff are friendly but seem to need more direction from someone more senior, rather than everyon flapping around like headless chickens, customer service just wasnt good, and it was such a shame..

Room Tip: maybe pick a room at the front of the building as room 11 was awful for noise, i think its above the prep room/washing area..
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed for two nights on a KGB deal.
The pub / hotel is lovely as it has been completely restored having been burnt down some years ago, so the rooms are excellent with great facilities ( almost ! ) No hair dryers !
The staff are mainly young and keen to please and so these are the good things about the George.
Now for the not so good things !
The meal we had was very ordinary , I had the pie of the day which could have been a "basics" pie from Tescos ...ok but nothing special at all. I would describe the food as quantity not quality and café style at best.. The portions are huge IMO and so if that is what you want as opposed to quality cooking and taste and flavour it is your sort of meal.
I believe the staff are not trained properly ...eg served toast with no butter, coffee with no milk , found a very dirty glass, my wife's side plate had the remains of food on it etc.
Ordered an irish coffee which was made with milk and not cream , and was served a mid brown colour when of course it should be jet black with a thick cream head ( the young lady who made it asked " that is made with whiskey isn't it ? "
We had no soap in the bathroom ( had to ask for some ) and no booklet with the hotel's details ie meal times , facilities etc. ..this arrived the following day !
The worst thing of all was that if you stay in our room ( no. 5 ) or some of the others next to it you will be kept awake most of the night as we were by the church clock which banged out a tune every hour throughout the night THEN STOPPED AT 8.00 AM IN THE MORNING !! How stupid is that ? Oh and our loo did not flush properly ( I will not go into details )
I would stay again but only on a deal that did not include a meal !

Room Tip: Do NOT have a room at the front unless you want to hear the church bells all through the night
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I cannot fault the rooms - I thought the room we stayed in was fantastic - but when you pay £110 you expect to be paying for the overall experience in a hotel too (the service and the food.) Unfortunately the service was terrible in the restaurant - both at dinner and breakfast. For breakfast, we came down at around 9 (breakfast finished at 10) but there were no tables fully set up, and a few hasn't been cleared. My boyfriend was given ultra watery coffee that didn't even look like coffee, and I wasn't served my tea until I'd finished my breakfast! The waitress just poured my boyfriend's watery coffee, and threw down an empty jug to put milk in ourselves! The breakfast itself wasn't that good, and so was dinner - I really don't rate the chef. It's a shame because the rooms are so good! If the food tasted better and the service was a lot better, I think it has the potential to be a really good place. I don't think I'll be recommending or visiting again though.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel is just perfect for a 'get away from it all' break. The rooms are spotless and spacious, the whole place is very tastefully decorated throughout and the staff are most helpful and professional. There is a good choice of breakfast, from a very generously sized full English to Eggs Benedict, croissants, smoked salmon etc...also cereals and yogurts. We ate in the restaurant one night as well and the food was of a very high standard, again, very generous portions, really tasty and nicely presented. There was no noise at night as Hatherleigh is a sleepy little village and the enormous bed was really comfy. The bathroom was very modern with a double-sized shower, sparkling clean and plenty of big, fluffy white towels. Can't fault the place at all, we would definitely return anytime!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

an unbelievable renovation of this hotel. rooms and bathrooms like nothing else outside major cities. pub food was great, we had the specials on the evening which were very individual meals and more restaurant quality.
only moan was no iron available and water temperature, well ouch......., don't let your kids use the basins in the rooms.

Room Tip: go for an upgrade in your room, well worth it