“Gorgeous olde worlde hotel”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hatherleigh
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband & I really enjoyed our stay at the George we couldn't have asked for more! The room was absolutely wonderful with a massive four poster bed & a roll top bath in the room with a lovely wet room shower & twin sinks. The breakfasts & our evening meal were very nice aswell. I would definately vist here again

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Davsar99

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here for a birthday treat for my husband. Reading through some of the reviews I was a bit apprehensive that the weekend would not be the relaxing break we were hoping for. How wrong I was to feel apprehensive. Upon arrival we were greeted by Sally who was friendly and polite and carried my bag to the room as I use a stick for walking. Our room was light, spacious, clean and very comfortable with a great shower for reviving Boyd after his birthday celebration drink(s). Our evening meal on the first night was included and could not be faulted. Boyd's lamb was succulent (and boy does he know his lamb) and my salmon with chilli sauce was delicious. The vegetables and potatoes were fresh and we followed it with dessert which was wonderful. Our wine arrived at the table not long after it was requested and although unfortunately I could not partake it met with my husband's approval. Breakfast on both mornings really filled us up and was very nice. The staff were very polite and friendly, nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Having read on previous reviews about the lack of cleanliness all I can say is we arrived to a clean room and upon our return from a day out we found the beds made, the bathroom cleaned, fresh towels and the bin emptied. The locals were very friendly and this is something we enjoy when away, after all if the locals use a place it is usually a good sign. Sally was off duty on the Saturday night and we spent a pleasant time chatting to her. All in all we had an excellent weekend. Using the criteria would we return, without hesitation we would. The George is to be recommended as a friendly welcoming place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I felt I had to review the George as the last couple of reviews don't do it justice.

We arrived at the George and followed the directions on the confirmation email, parked at the back of the pub and was greater by the most lovely courtyard. When inside we were greater by a member of staff who checked us in and showed us to our room. The room was clean, spacious and had a view over the countryside.

Dinner was wonderful, the bream fillet was perfectly cooked and arrived in good time. Breakfast the next day was just what we needed a full English, great start to the day.

I got chatting to the manageress, (there is no 'manager' as written in previous reviews!?) she was friendly and welcoming.

Great ambience, great rooms, great staff!! Read ALL the reviews on here! The last 2 seem a bit OTT!!

Room Tip: Room 10 has a great view over the hills.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We went to The George last weekend for a two night stay. It is a superb hotel / pub shoddily ran by a very poor management team and staff with no idea what they are doing.We moved rooms on the first night as the room was very nice but the shower outlet was blocked so filled up the tray when used .

On arrival in the bar we then waited two hours for food ( despite being offered food that we had not ordered) which was not cooked when it arrived.

Both rooms were dirty and the one we stayed in was not made up the next day.

Its such a shame really as it is a fantastic building rebuilt to an extremely high standard.

3  Thank Jetessence
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Visited on KGB deal. This place currently running off the previous managements reputation. A catalogue of errors is the best way to describe our experience of the George, The rooms are very well decorated, however we did get room 8, which whilst with it's lack of view was nicely decorated. Unfortunately this is where all the good comments end, the window in the room from which previous reviews shows it's been broken since 2011 is still broken, but they have filled in the holes!! The shower drain was blocked and there was shaving hairs floating in the water, yuck... the stool by the dressing table had bottle rings and food on it, I wiped it with the towel which left black marks on it. Complaint made room changed to room 9, twin room with beds joined together, was ok, So now for the food saga, 8.20 pm food and a bottle of wine ordered at the bar as the waiting staff don't appear to take your orders at your table, wine was to be brought to the table. 8.45 pm asked where's the wine sorry it'll be with you, 9 pm I fetch the wine from the bar, 9.10 food not ours brought to the table, 9.20 starter arrive pale goat cheese tart only just edible and squid over cooked. 9.40 mains arrive my fish & chips the batter was very oily and the fish inside was raw!!! 10 pm after a further complaint replacement mains arrive. Spoke to drunk man who was sitting at the bar since our arrival, seems he the manager. The only thing I saw him managed was his drink.
next day have a closer look at the room, the toilet seat was up, once lowered found pubic hair and urine stains, cobweb hanging from the ceiling, tea stains down the walls, dust everywhere. Note left for person cleaning the room to clean, pointless as it turns out as all she did was leave a new toilet room didn't even make the bed (thought that was a basic requirement, not here though) They deduct the cost of our drinks from our bill as a gesture of goodwill, however this is boasting a luxury accommodation, which it is sadly lacking at this time and very disappointing, I would not return unless there is a change in management as I want pleasant break. If you have the misfortune to suffer the same fate as us the Tally Ho across the road does amazing food, and the staff are friendly and capable

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed as part of a KGB deal offer. I viewed the hotel online and thought that it looked right up my street. The hotel was refurbed in 2010 and to a high standard and since then I felt it had not been maintained.

Upon arrival we were not given times for check out or breakfast but staff were friendly.
The impressive stair case lead to a cream carpeted landing with not so impressive as the carpet was marked.
Our room had a lovely bed, nice decor. The mysterious white stains up the wall were strange? why wouldnt you just do a quick paint job and tidy that up? So the bathroom...looked lovely upon first impression. I had to ask my partner to get more toilet roll, shabby! Also we had been on a 7 hour drive to get to Hatherleigh and I was about to run the bath but there were a few hairs (which dont need further describing) and dirt around the plug hole. I washed these away but realized when I touched the outside of the bath it had a layer of bath scum around it. I was too tired to be bothered to ask the maid up so a shower sufficed. Then there was dinner. I am a bit of a self confessed foodie but expected basic "pub grub" which I was looking forward to. I had the black pudding scotch egg. The egg was surrounded in so much black pudding the middle was barely warm, the outside was deep fried and greasy, the egg was hard. I picked at this and left the rest. Main course fish n chips, how can you get that wrong? Beautiful piece of fish and a generous portion. The beer batter made the fish soggy as the batter was not cooked enough and it ruined it completely. Not happy went to bed.

Day 2 Breakfast ...no menu??? Just "we do a cooked breakfast, what combination would you like?" confused we ordered 2 full english. The breakfast was better than the dinner! the fruit selection was an apple, orange or pear I think. Coffee was brought to your table. Service was fine. (needless to say we eat elsewhere for lunch & dinner)

Room had been serviced, new towels...no refill on teabags or milk...DIRTY mugs and glasses not changed so I drank some water from my coffee stained mug that I used the morning before in the morning...vile!

Day 3 Breakfast we were asked if we wanted tea or coffee...we said coffee and this morning it was help yourself! This was confusing...then our milk jug was empty, as were everyone elses...

Its such a shame as the building and the rooms are good. The landing is gorgeous. I expected the hospitality to match and the care of keeping the standards up. As I explained in my title I felt like this hotel was built on the back of the pub but there was no experience or love in keeping it as a hotel.

2  Thank tierneyjoe
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We have stayed twice in "The George". It is a great place and we are planning to go back. Wish it was closer to London, so we could enjoy it more often.
Very friendly staff, good atmosphere and the breakfast was amazing... Highly recommended if you want a quiet weekend in the countryside.
The building's history is very interesting as well.
We love "The George".

Gerald Wooldridge (gjw111s@yahoo.co.uk) - Trip Adviser Name - Jazzy211

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3, with a wonderful four poster bed and roll top bath in the room : )
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatherleigh
The Oxenham Arms Hotel & Restaurant
Mill End Hotel
Mill End Hotel
#2 of 2 in Chagford
Fox and Hounds Country Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!