“Ok but could be fantastic”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hatherleigh
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is such a lovely building, re-built from the ground up and completed in 2010. However, there are a few things which need to be pointed out. We stayed for 2 nights. There was no shower in the room, only a bath, which would have been fine had it been clean. I used a spare towel to clean it, and was disgusted to see a black scum coating the towel where it had been used to clean. Yuk. I also noticed quite a lot of dust in the room and cobwebs on the lights in the bar area. Maybe I am being too fussy, but this is basic housekeeping.
We ate at the bar on the two nights we were staying - the food was ok, nothing special and a bit under-seasoned. But my boyfriend ordered a steak which was superb. Breakfast is quite slow coming, however we did not have any issues with this and it was nice not to feel rushed.Something to bear in mind if you have an early start planned.
Overall, we had this on a KGB deal, and it was a good price. Had the basics been done well then the feedback would have been great because it is a lovely building in a lovely spot.
One other thing that we noted was that the staff - although very nice - were a bit unprofessional. They were loudly discussing an issue with a member of staff, within earshot of paying customers. Good management, housekeeping and front of house would sort all of these issues out though, such a pity because the place could be fantastic, and one thing that we did like was the relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: Even though our room was above the bar, this did not detract from a good night's sleep.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed here on a kgb deal and thought the hotel was very pleasant and superbly refurbished. The room was extremely pleasant with a decent bed and shower. All the staff were extremely friendl and looked after us well although we think the kitchen staff were possibly a bit stretched. The food was excellent although it took 35 mins to reach us after ordering - but hey we were on a break so it didn't matter! Plenty of parking space but unfortunately didn't get to markat day.
Strongly recommend this hotel. Go for it!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked a small mews.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank waldodw
Reviewed September 20, 2011

only stayed one night, wish we could have stayed longer. Room was beautiful and very clean, best thing was the roll top bath actually in the bedroom, can't think of too many things nicer on a saturday afternoon than relaxing in a hot bubble bath with a glass of wine and some chocolate watching come dine with me! Dinner and breakfast were both really good, and all the staff were friendly. We would love to go back and would reccommend it to friends

Room Tip: ask for a room with roll top bath!
2  Thank bumblebee08
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Fabulous food and rooms, however service let's this place down. Staff are unprofessional, slow and require further training.

• Stayed: September 2011
emmajane73, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2011

I am shocked to read your recent review and would very much like to hear about your experience in more detail. Please contact me at the hotel direct via e mail info@thegeorgehatherleigh.co.uk so I can look into this further.
Thankyou
Emma O'connell
GM

Reviewed September 17, 2011

Just come back from a 2 day kgb stay and I must say they couldn't have been more friendly, welcoming and helpful. All the staff we came into contact with (Emma, Nadia, Simon etc) went out of their way to be of service and nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was excellent and even the house wine was quite drinkable. Breakfasts were first rate with the best coffee we've ever had anywhere in a hotel. Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Clive M
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We have just returned to Weymouth after being treated to a KGB deal by some friends

The hotel has been tastefully refurbished after the fire and we found the staff and management to be very friendly and attentive, please find below some hopefully, helpful suggestions to make a stay even better.Please bare in mind we are ex hoteliers!

We stayed in Room 12, mentioned in previous cooments on Trip Advisor... yes it was smallish but comfortable, very powerful power shower .... so powerful it is very difficult to control without the rest of the bathroom becoming "drowned". The room did not appear to have been vacuumed prior to our stay, if it had the bag needed changing!

Dinner with a bottle of very pleasant white House Wine (included in the KGB deal), The two menus offered bar snacks and a small table d'Hote menu which were good value, although after the first night rather limiting. The chef is obviously talented so we would suggest seeing some more "specials" or, change the table d'hote menu on a daily or cyclical basis.

The room was cleaned after the first night but one very small detail, which was a little odd... the coffee making facilities and a bottle of water were not replenished.... yes, we were were on a cheap"deal" but the cost of this to a hotel is a tiny in proportion to the total room cost.

Day 2 menu ... the same as day one.... suggestions above

Breakfast on this morning Sunday... a bit of a problem.... one very smiley waitress was a little overwhelmed ..... We came down, just one table cleared in the restaurant, so we sat ourselves down and were duely asked if we would like tea or coffee. We were given a menu and the order was shortly taken, however, the breakfast simply never arrived until we prompted another lady, who we think helped with cleaning the rooms... found the breakfasts on the hotplate in the kitchen and brought them to us (approx 25 minutes later)

Training in a hotel such as this is the key:
Staff need to be trained to always take something back to the kitchen every time they visit... in this way tables are cleared as you go along
Make use of the staff that are available, people that clean rooms, should be able to help in the restaurant when needed.
Keep a careful eye on a "buffet" system breakfast.... replenish bread and butter near the toaster on a regular basis. (the toaster at this particular site is very fast!)

Despite all the little items mentioned above, which are purely an "attention to detail" we had a great stay and will definately be back

Reviewed September 7, 2011

Just got back from a 2 night stay at The George with my partner, where we were both looking forward to our trip away after driving for 3 hours, especially after looking online at the wonderful pictures of the bedrooms, etc.
We arrived approx 3.30pm, with no-one in the bar area, although I noticed the rooms keys and guest information was left on the side table by the entrance for anyone to see, and therefore anyone could have taken our key! Nevertheless, finally somebody came to greet us, we were shown to our room and I admittely was disadpointed with the room size of room 6, as it was very small and all of the photographs of the rooms online show much bigger rooms.
On our first night we decided to eat in the pub after the drive, however I was shocked and still am by the general manager I believe, who spoke to all the other couples that even and blatenly ignored myself and my partner. We were younger than some of the couples also staying at the hotel, but we both found this very rude, seen as we were talking to another couple on the table next to us, as we are definately approachable and very chatty people.
The food however was lovely and we definately enjoyed the food, although there was no sign of the free bottle of wine with our meal, again a disadpointment seen as it was paid for in with the KGB Deal.
I was also worried about the bath in the room, as it was very slippery and found myself slip more than once when in the bath.
All, in all a mixed honest review from our stay, but to sum it up the food is fab its just a huge shame that the 'friendlyy staff' which has been noted by other people who have stayed, definately werent 'friendly' during our stay, so therefore would not recommend The George to fellow friends and family and neither would stay again.

Room Tip: Not all rooms look like the pictures online, misleading
1  Thank emmie85
emmajane73, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, I have never recieved a compliant regarding the size of room 6 before everyone that stays there are usually very happy.
I have noted your comment regarding a bath mat and will go out and purchase some as soon as I can.
I am shocked to hear you felt I ignored you and purposely so. I treat all guests the same and try to get round everybody to have a little chat, I am sorry I did not get to speak with you personally but it certainly was not done on purpose and I apologise profusely if I have offended you in anyway.
Kind regards
Emma O'Connell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatherleigh
The White Hart Hotel
Gidleigh Park
#1 of 2 in Chagford
The Edgemoor Country House Hotel
The Oxenham Arms Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!