“Enjoyed the Hotel Olympia”
Review of Hotel Olympia

Hotel Olympia
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Beausoleil
Worksop, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed the Hotel Olympia”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I only read the Trip Advisor notes after I had been staying at the Olympia for a number of days and I have to say I feel that some are not objective and are coloured with frustration not of the Olympia’s making.

In all I have spent 16 nights in the hotel and it is very much what it claims to be a small family run hotel part way up the mountain of Monaco just into France. I found the room clean, tidy and well serviced, the bed was comfortable, the staff who are multilingual very helpful and friendly.

Yes the location is an uphill walk from the station or transfer bus but this is Monaco.
So thank you for making my stay a very comfortable one.

PS - Watch out for the weekly firework display at 10pm it can take you by surprise.

Room Tip: Remember the Metal shutters can be raised, the top floor corner has some impressive views
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel is a bit run down and the rooms, although non smoking, felt like someone had been smoking there. And the fact that there was an ash tray in the bathroom made me even more suspicious. The furniture have seen better days and if your looking for a cosy hideout you might want to look again.
The staff however was helpful and very friendly and being across the street from Monaco there are much better things to do than stay in the room all day.
Parking spaces, although limited, are available and if you want to make sure you get one, preorder it. There is a parking garage just beside the hotel, but the cheaper option is the hotels parking spaces, and besides, you always have access to it if it's reserved for you. The parking garage can be full and street parking can be a hassle.
There were quite some street noise in the mornings, even though it was a weekend when I was there.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the street might be noisy in the morning Preorder parking space if you want to be sure...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Hotel is about 15-20 minute walk from the train station, it was a bit awkward walking through the streets with the suitcase as it is hilly and narrow paths in areas but the hotel was signposted and easy to find.

Hotel staff are very helpful and friendly, they got us settled and allowed us to check in early as our room was ready. Price for Monte Carlo I thought was really reasonable.

We're not too fussy about hotels we stay in as we are only there to sleep, the hotel is quite basic however it worked for us. It was clean, comfortable and the staff made you feel welcome, what more do you really need.

Monte Carlo is very hilly so be prepared and wear flat shoes a mistake I made was not taking flats and gaining lots of blisters from my wedges.

The hotel is about 10-15 minute walk from the sea front and to get there you have to walk via the Fairmount Hotel/Apex and through the "track" tunnel.

Would I recommend this hotel, yes absolutely....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loula_blue
london
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I should have read the review 'Simply Awful' before going. This hotel is the worst kind of cheap travel. Despite its location to Monte Carlo, it should be avoided unless absolutely the last resort. The whole hotel, lobby and room was grubby' and depressing. The rooms have had no more than a lick of paint for decades and the cluttered bathroom and dark bedroom smelt of dirty bodies. We were told on checking in that breakfast was included. On checking out, the elderly couple who run the hotel tried to charge us unless we paid cash - in which case they would cut both the breakfast fee (which was suppose to be included when we booked 3 months prior to arrival) and the hotel taxes. The whole transaction was as grubby as the decor. We were 3 in a room and paid 400 euros for 2 nights. My advice - stay further out, somewhere else or save up for better.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank minisara

Travelers are raving about these Beausoleil hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The experience was truly negative and I strongly advise people to try to avoid this place. However, I will try to be as objective as possible.

Pros:
Location: 5 mins walk from Montecarlo Casino. Fairly central and you can easily access Monaco but you can do so from the other hotels on the same street.

Cons
Rooms: I stayed in 2 different rooms because the hotel was full. The first room (452) was supposed to be one of the best the hotel had to offer (according to a staff member). It can be described as very basic and dated. This was one of the most expensive rooms. Not pleasant but functional, however, if you are out all day it is not too offensive to go back there to spend the night.

The other room I stayed, 458 was a completely different story. Very small, dated and dingy, with the only window overlooking some pipes...very small bathroom, it was painful even to spend the night. On top of that I found a tiny cockroach. My stay was quite long and I had to change hotel...apparently they could not move me to another room, and this was actually a blessing since I moved to a much better place, 2 minutes down the road -

Ironing: no iron in the room, you have to go and iron in the middle of the restaurant.

Breakfast: my company paid for me to have breakfast there every day. The breakfast cost 10EUR per person. If I had to pay for what they provided I would ask for a refund. You cant even call it breakfast...dry croissant, dry bread and a couple of slices of cheese...you can have some jam and an old piece of fruit if you are lucky, some yogurt and coco pops or corn flakes. This should be complementary - you cannot charge 10 euros for this but they did so please if you happen to stay...do not go for the breakfast, for 10EUR you can go to one of the patisseries around Monaco and have a truly enjoyable experience!

Staff: family run business...I usually love family run businesses. Coming from England, I love family run English B&Bs , you know you will receive a quality service and that your stay will be delightful with that personal touch that it is usually priceless. Well...not here....there is an old italian couple that runs the place....the lady is simply awful...very rude, outspoken and just puts you off that place...every time we came down she was there hovering around...a couple of younger girls help them out but they are a bit useless. My company booked my stay for 9 days. They liaised with the company in regards to payments and logistics. My company paid for all of the stay in advance of my arrival. Mid stay, I was at work and the old lady, called me at 1200hrs asking me why I was still occupying the room and that I had to check out...I was puzzled...no-one had told me in 4 days had stayed there I had to change rooms, when I questioned this she started yelling at me. She was loud and shouty...and told me that if I hadn't moved my stuff within 30mins she would put all my things in a bag. I was outraged and shocked! I asked work if I could go back and move rooms and fortunately when I went back to the hotel her son was there. The only person there with a bit of mannerism. He apologised profusely I was not annoyed about the room change but by the fact, no-one had told me after they saw me every day from the day I checked in.

Additionally, every time you go to the lobby the old lady is always sitting there with friends or family and kids are running around..you really feel you are intruding and that you are going through some one else's living room. Felt very uncomfortable.

Internet: Wifi is not included. in the room charge They make you pay a ridiculous nominal fee of EUR1 per day and in order for it to work, you have to watch an advert if you don't want to get disconnected. The signal is so poor in the hotel that the advert cannot even load and you get booted off constantly. I was trying to do some work and it was impossible. At check out they took a couple of euros off my bill but it is not about the 2/3 euros charged, it is about the principle of the poor service they offer.

Everything is mediocre and if you are looking to have a nice stay, this is really not the place. I currently moved to a Apart'Hotel 2 mins walk from the Olympia where the staff is super nice, the rooms are spacious, clean, modern and the internet is running properly, all this for the same price or slightly few euros more if you want something a bit bigger....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Flav78
Milan, Italy
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Since many years with my family we use this property as a base for our trips in the French Riviera. It is located in the perfect spot for both live the Principality of Monaco and to move among the Cote d’Azure.
The hotel is located just a few minutes walking from the Place du Casino, exactly on the border between France and the Principality, easily accessible from the A8 highway, in fact by car in 20 minutes you can reach the center of Nice, moreover the hotel offers the opportunity to park in front of the entrance with a small fee, which is a real advantage in the Monaco area.
The hotel compared to other extremely luxurious accommodations in this region, maybe isn’t as fancy, but it’s comfortable, decent and mostly maintains an excellent value for money. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and simple , in particular I’ve always appreciate their silence in the night . I personally suggest the superior rooms located in the west side of the hotel, with their art deco bowindow offering a special French touch. Breakfast is simple but with everything you need
Personally I love the fact that the hotel is located in Beausoleil, the French neighborhood of the city, with a cute market beside, very popular within the locals . Everithing offers the chance to experience both the small pleasures of Provencal life, and in the same time the glitz of Monaco

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WillyHotelInsider
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Plus:
- Easy access, close to Monte Carlo Casino.
- Friendly staff.

Minuses:
- The room was very small.
- A lot of stains on the walls and an broken outlet in my room.
- If you need to iron, you'll do it in the middle of the restaurant!
- The aspect is old and much used.
- Next to the building is the entrance of an underground public garage, resulting a lot of noise.
- Poor breakfast for the price.
- Complicated wifi internet access and poor signal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alex G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beausoleil
Novotel Monte Carlo
#10 of 10 in Monte-Carlo
Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo
Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo
#2 of 10 in Monte-Carlo

Been to Hotel Olympia? Share your experiences!