“Flies - terrible”
Review of The Woolpack Inn

The Woolpack Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Beckington
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Flies in the breakfast room not just one but a whole family of them and were crawling all over the help yourself breakfast which was all uncovered. That didn't end there in the evening when in the bar you was batting them away and the same for the duration of your evening meal. No attempt by hotel to try to eleviate this rather large issue! Some of the staff need a little help with courteous manners and a smile wouldn't go a miss. Rooms were ok they weren't the cleanest but ok. One issue on returning to my room from a day out I returned to find my room door was shut but un locked! This is totally in acceptable!
This could have been a really nice hotel if all the effort was put in that was needed

• Stayed: August 2013
Woolpack I, Brand at The Woolpack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thank you for your review, Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. Due to the hot weather we have been experiencing some issues with flies. However I am happy to report this issue has now been dealt with as I have now installed two electronic fly killers and purchased sprays. All seem to have worked well.

The housekeeping staff assure me that leaving your door open was a one off error and will be thoroughly checking all doors before leaving.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review. Craig, General Manager

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was a corporate booking by my company, I stayed in room no 3 which was clean and comfortable but the bathroom was dated with poor plumbing, several toilet flushes were needed and the sink (which was cracked) was slow to drain with 'gurgling' noises.
Lucky I didn't want an early night as the room was situated over the bar so was quite noisy especially being a warm Summer evening as drinkers were also outside.
However the evening meal was quite good being freshly prepared but service was a little slow, unfortunately my dining experience was let down at breakfast time when I had to wait 45 minutes for my cooked breakfast, this is totally unacceptable especially being on a business trip as the staff were more concerned serving elderly customers who arrived in the dinning room some 15 minutes after me and yet were served before me. Due to the time waiting I had to forfeit my breakfast although I was offered a bacon sandwich hardly a substitute for a full breakfast that my company had paid for, I have since instructed my company not to use this hotel which is part of the Old English Inns chain.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite noisy being above the bar on the main road
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review. Firstly, please accept my apologies for the service you received. I have spoken to the team on duty and I believe there was a honest error and miss communication, during the breakfast service. We now have plans in place to stop this from happening again.

Unfortunately the last few days we have had some water pressure issues, however these are now fixed. Thanks again for your review

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I was attending a course nearby and stayed three nights, overall rather pleased with my choice. Room was off a good standard and well appointed but a bit small, but what would you expect in an old pub? Staff were friendly and attentive, food was good and well priced. The only complaint I might make is that the rear beer garden could do with being better attended, the ashtrays and empty glasses still there is the morning were a bit of an eyesore.

Room Tip: Do ask if there is any live music in the bar (think only once per month?) as although a bit loud in...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Woolpack I, Brand at The Woolpack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We do take all comments on board and do our best to make the improvements required. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Craig, General Manager

Reviewed July 30, 2013

About 20 friends and family stayed at the Woolpack for a birthday celebration before going to a nearby wedding. We were pretty rowdy - the staff coped extremely well and looked after us superbly. Dinner, rooms and breakfast were also really good. Thanks to all.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Woolpack I, Brand at The Woolpack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am pleased everything went well for your birthday celebration. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We've been here a few times now and the food is always of high quality.

Today was no exception but the service was somewhat lacking unfortunately. The bar and waiting staff seemed a bit disinterested. By no means were they rude, just a little aloof.

We ordered a club sandwich and a chicken and bacon ciabatta but despite them being served with a side salad, we weren't brought any cutlery. When my wife asked for cutlery she was brought a knife (no fork) and nothing for me so I ended up getting I myself.

I have to say that this was unusual for this pub so maybe it was just an off day but they will need to watch this.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, Please accept my apologies for the unusual poor service you received, We hope you come back and visit again soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Dropped into the Woolpack for a quick drink. Went there about six years ago and it was nice. No change - lovely bar staff and interesting locals, very friendly pub, young lady behind the bar ran through all of the white wines with my wife, great attention to customers and details. 100% recommended. I must stay there one weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Woolpack I, Brand at The Woolpack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit and found the staff friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back, maybe for a weekend sometime. Craig, General Manager

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Ignore the recent 'average' reviews, we stayed for 3 nights and didn't experience any issues with service in the dining room despite the place being fully occupied.
All the staff with whom we came into contact, including the manager Craig and his staff such as Melanie, were very helpful and friendly.
We would definitely stay here again and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, which matches the location within the beautiful village of Beckington.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Woolpack I, Brand at The Woolpack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, The staff will be pleased to read your kind comments. We all look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Craig, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckington
Travelodge Warminster
Bishopstrow House
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 3 in Warminster
Holiday Inn Express Bath

Been to The Woolpack Inn? Share your experiences!