“Lovely meal but very slow service.”
Review of The Woolpack Inn

The Woolpack Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Beckington
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had a lovely meal but there only seemed to be one waitress so the service was very slow. Probably waited an hour between starters and mains.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were having a quite getaway as my friend had recently had surgery and just needed to recharge batteries.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Myslef and 7 year old were made welcome even though we were sure Xmas bookings and parties were present. Carvery was including traditional Christmas Turkey with a huge array of vegetable etc. Staff were very friendly, helpful and yes …all smiled !!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

ate here on a Wednesday lunch time and ordered from the set menu.very disappointed on so many levels.
Bar staff - the young girl on the bar was inattentive and was the only person manning the bar and food order point, which meant a long delay in placing the food order.
Food quality - starter - garlic mushrooms - well cooked and well presented, but obviously mass produced and frozen.
Mains - I had Hunters chicken with chips and salad (salad with everything) the chicken and the chips were well cooked. My friend had the cauliflower tart, which was OK, however the new potatoes which came with this dish were undercooked, a complaint resulted in another bowl of potatoes being delivered to the table, which were also undercooked. Desserts - there were 2 choices on the menu, we ordered one of each, but two of the same dish arrived at the table.
Positives - the bill was adjusted to reflect the problem with the potatoes. The service was good.
One final comment - there was live music in the bar - far too loud to allow conversation, we managed to get seated in the restaurant area, which meant we could talk over the music and hold a normal conversation.
As a result of the problems we encountered it's unlikely I would return here and wouldn't recommend it.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Five of us ate here on a Sunday evening. The welcome was warm, the starters were good, but then it all went downhill.
My brother-in-law and I had a 'special' of lemon and thyme glazed chicken with new potatoes and salad. The chicken was absolutely delicious but the portion of potatoes was rather small and the salad was little more than a garnish.
My husband had a mushroom-topped open chicken pie. The accompanying vegetables were rather too crunchy for his taste - that does come down to individual preference - but unfortunately they were only luke-warm.
My elder son had Hunter's Chicken, which he said was okay.
My younger son ordered a gourmet beef burger topped with bacon and cheese, but what he got was a CHICKEN burger topped with bacon and cheese. The waitress did offer to replace it but that it would take time before the replacement could be served (because the food is cooked to order). My son said that he would eat the chicken burger, so the waitress offered a free dessert - however, our dessert order was taken by a different waitress and the payment was taken by someone else again, and in any case my brother-in-law was paying so I'm not sure if his dessert was free or not.
We ordered additional drinks when our main courses arrived but they were very slow to arrive, so much so that we'd virtually finished our main courses by the time they did arrive - and my husband was brought a glass of red wine instead of the rose he'd ordered. The waitress then said that they had had a run on the rose he wanted and offered a California rose as an alternative - but this was what my husband had asked for the first time and wanted again! However, when it arrived, he said that it was definitely not the same wine, so we're not sure what he had at first.
We were asked if everything was alright but the waitress didn't take seem to take a lot of notice of our rather lukewarm response.
The desserts were very good.
After the desserts, we were left alone. We weren't asked if we wanted anything else. Even when we got up and started putting our coats on, nobody came near us. My brother-in-law had to go and find someone to ask for and pay the bill.
This could have been a very good meal - but sadly it wasn't. We won't be going back.