“Lovely Dining Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Candied Walnut Eatery - CLOSED

The Candied Walnut Eatery
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Candied Walnut Eatery is a new Dining establishment situated in Kilnacourt House, Portarlington, Co. Laois. Proprietor/Head Chef Barry Hayden serves Lunches & Dinners at affordable prices. He uses only the finest ingredients to create his signature dishes. Fresh Coffees, Daily Lunch Specials, Evening Dining. Our Customer Service is second to none. Our aim at The Candied Walnut Eatery is to have every customer leave satisfied & with a smile on their face!!
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

For a dining treat we had dinner at the Candied Walnut on Sunday night. We had seabass and steak, both cooked to perfection and delicious. Staff were cheerful and very friendly. Would highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely be back. Thank you all.

Visited November 2013
DawnDaisy46, Owner at The Candied Walnut Eatery, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Evilori,
Thank you very much for your lovely review of our restaurant recently.
Glad you enjoyed everything. That seabass dish is one of my own personal favourites!
Hope to have you dine with us again in the near future.
Best regards,

• Polish first
“Its average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I live in town and have been hearing everyone rave about this place. Maybe I was expecting to much when I went in, but I didn't find it anything special. As a retail food establishment I expected more.
The food was average and my Hollandaise sauce was very sour. The rashers were gamey. A very low quality rasher in my opinion. The egg and toast we as should be expected.
As I sat at my table I had a clear view of the kitchen and prep area. I was dissapointed to see the staff empty a tin of, what I assume was tomato sauce or tomato's, from Lidl. But if they are getting food there that would explain the rasher. In addition of of the staff was coughing into her hands and handling the plates for food service directly afterwards with and sort of sanitation. Sanitation is something that must not be to high on their list as though my table and cutlerly was lovely and clean. You could clearly see cob webs on the light fixtures and smudges on the walls.
My overall opinion is that is ok, average if your impressed with the look of a place and not the actual quality. Nothing special.

2 Thank Mickgas
Dear Mickgas,
Thank you for posting a review recently on our restaurant.
Just to clarify a few things you have wrong.
Our Hollandaise sauce is made with a White wine vinegar reduction thus making it sharp and not sour as you remarked. This is how a good Hollandaise sauce should taste!
We source our rashers from a highly reputable supplier & I have personally done so for many years without any complaints. Your comments where you try to suggest we purchase them from a local supermarket chain are false & without any proof.
Having said that, I personally would have no hesitation in purchasing from the likes of Lidl or Aldi (as you mentioned) as I do not feel they carry lower standard products. You're the one who seems to have the problem with these.
As for the tomatoes.. This was actually myself.. I poured a tin of chopped tomatoes to make our tomato sauce which is purchased from our dry goods suppliers.
I feel your comments are misinformed.
If you didn't like something on the day you should have brought it to the attention of any staff member. They would have been happy to rectify any issues you had at the time.
Instead you chose to search for cobwebs!!
All the best,
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had our wedding reception in the Candied Walnut Eatery Barry and his staff could not have done any more for us .The meal was fantastic .I would recommend the Candied Walnut Eatery to anyone for a funcion or just breakfast lunch or dinner. Thanks for making our day so special.

• Visited October 2013
Dear Casdoyle,
Thank you for taking the time to post your great review of our restaurant.
Delighted you enjoyed your wedding reception with us. We were delighted you chose us & that we could be part of the celebrations.
What a lovely couple you both are.
Wishing you many years of happiness.
Best wishes,
Dawn & Barry Hayden
laois
“Fantastic Venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband & I went on friday night for our wedding anniversary , This was our first visit, but it certainly will not be our last, the food is amazing, we had the fish cake & caesar salad to start, lamb shank & fillet steak, eton mess & chocolate mousse, the staff are very friendly & well versed on the menu, if they keep doing what they are doing now they will have a great establishment & a loyal following, we went on word of mouth & we will def send friends to try it out, the decor is lovely overall great food, great staff, great venue,

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear laoisladylaois,
Thanks so much for your recent review of our restaurant.
Really glad to hear you enjoyed your wedding anniversary with us. Glad to be a part of the celebrations.
Do tell all your friends about us.
Look forward to seeing you again real soon,
Best regards,
Larne
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We called one evening without a booking. They obliged without a fuss, and set up the table for 5. We had one of the nicest meals that evening served by the staff with pleasant smiles. Nothing was too much trouble. I can say without hesitation that if we are ever back in the area it will be first on our list.

• Visited September 2013
Dear TomSimone,
Thank you so much for your very complimentary review of our restaurant recently on tripadvisor. We really value our customers feedback.
Glad you all enjoyed everything.
Look forward to seeing you again when you're down this neck of the woods.
Kindest regards,