“Positive first-time.”
Review of The Candied Walnut Eatery - CLOSED

The Candied Walnut Eatery
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Candied Walnut Eatery is a new Dining establishment situated in Kilnacourt House, Portarlington, Co. Laois. Proprietor/Head Chef Barry Hayden serves Lunches & Dinners at affordable prices. He uses only the finest ingredients to create his signature dishes. Fresh Coffees, Daily Lunch Specials, Evening Dining. Our Customer Service is second to none. Our aim at The Candied Walnut Eatery is to have every customer leave satisfied & with a smile on their face!!
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We recently celebrated a family birthday here and everyone enjoyed it immensely. The welcome was warm and the staff were very helpful and attentive throughout the meal.
The lunch menu had good variety and value ( 2/3 course options). My caesar salad was one of the best I had in a long time. Beef main course was good but not overwhelming.Fish cakes were another alternative which went down well and some of the party also had a thai chicken curry which hit the mark. Deserts were great and exceeded expectations both in terms of presentation,portion size and flavour. The kids loved the little chip pans that delivered their fries and sausages. We had an upper room to ourselves which worked very well in maintaining the atmosphere and stopping the kids from straying. The only thing I didn't like was the fact the lunch menu was limited to just a few dishes. It just means we'll go back to try out the dinner menu some evening also :-)

DawnDaisy46, Owner at The Candied Walnut Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Hugh GL,
Many thanks for posting your lovely review on our restaurant recently. We are glad you all enjoyed dining in our private room.. It's prefect for intimate family gatherings. Glad to hear the kids enjoyed everything too..
Hope to see you again very soon.
Best wishes,

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Our party (4) had a really great meal here - the welcome, service and ambiance was excellent - for a Thursday evening the restaurant was busy. Would highly recommend a visit here.

Dear Eugene O,
Many thanks again for a great review of our restaurant... We really value & appreciate your reviews & custom.. Glad to hear you enjoyed your dining experience with us..
Hope to see you real soon.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Food was amazing, staff were excellent. I ordered prawns for starters and salmon for mains, it was one of the nicest meals i've had in a long time. Everything was cooked to perfection and you could tell there was great attention to detail. Top quality plus the desert (fondant) was excellent. Highly recommended and great to see such a great restaurant in Laois.

Dear Derek G,
Many thanks for posting your great review on our restaurant recently on tripadvisor. We really appreciate your feedback. Yeah, those prawns are fab.. I personally always opt for them..
Hope to have you dine with us again very soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have been to the Candied Walnut a few times now. Each time the food and service have been great. I particularly like the way the food is presented ...a work of art! We ate there again last Saturday night and it was extremely busy. The staff coped very well but if you are going for the first time I would recommend picking a quieter night. It feels slightly cramped when full and there is not a lot of room between the tables and as a result the waiting staff have very little room to manoeuvre. If you haven't been to the Candied Walnut - try it, you won't be disappointed!

Dear Fifi010,
Thanks for reviewing our restaurant recently on tripadvisor. Glad you enjoyed everything. Sorry to hear you felt cramped. Unfortunately with larger groups and the re-positioning of tables to accommodate them, it can feel a little more cramped that our usual layout.
Hope it didn't ruin your evening & we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Not only is the food top class with so much choice on the Sunday menu the service that is provided is not like anything I'd have expected. I'm not one for posting reviews but I felt it was the least I could do by way of thanking the staff at the Candied Walnut after I ran into a little bit of difficulty with my 3 month old baby today while having dinner, while i was stressing out the staff rushed to my rescue - by way of nipping out to the local shop on my behalf - so that we were able to enjoy our meals. Every single staff member was friendly, approachable & there to ensure we had a relaxed Sunday dinner. Its rare these days to find a restaurant of this standard that is so child friendly .. from the crayons to the facilities to the cute way the food is served (a mini chip tray for the skinny fries & mini bucket for the ice cream & smarties) my 3 year old was pretty much content while we sat for an hour & a half.
The food as usual was delicious - I'd ordered the Cesar salad for starters however devoured most of my husbands goats cheese tart! The fish cake with lemon beurre sauce was served as 1 large cake with a delicious herb salad and it was seriously tasty and my food was equally impressed with the Thai Chicken curry. We also enjoyed 3 desserts - carrot cake, profiteroles & strawberry/rhubarb crumble.
For anyone either living locally or just passing through Co Laois this restaurant is somewhere not be missed.

Dear esmehalp,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your fabulous feedback. So glad to hear the staff looked after you. We all know how hard it can be dining with young kiddies. The crayons are a real hit with the kids & parents alike.. We have kids ourselves so our restaurant is most definitely family friendly.
Thanks again for your great review..
See you again soon P.G.