“great atmosphre”
Review of The Candied Walnut Eatery - CLOSED

The Candied Walnut Eatery
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Candied Walnut Eatery is a new Dining establishment situated in Kilnacourt House, Portarlington, Co. Laois. Proprietor/Head Chef Barry Hayden serves Lunches & Dinners at affordable prices. He uses only the finest ingredients to create his signature dishes. Fresh Coffees, Daily Lunch Specials, Evening Dining. Our Customer Service is second to none. Our aim at The Candied Walnut Eatery is to have every customer leave satisfied & with a smile on their face!!
Portarlington, Ireland
“great atmosphre”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

my family took me there for mothers day dinner. It was our first time. The reception from the staff was excellent and very warm. All food from starter to desert was tasty, delicious and very well presented. We enjoyed our time there tottally and will definitely go back again soon probably with friends.

• Visited March 2013
DawnDaisy46, Owner at The Candied Walnut Eatery, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Sally516,
Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review of our restaurant recently on tripadvisor. Really glad you enjoyed Mother's day with us.
Hope to see you again soon.

• Polish first
Ireland
“A pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went to the Candied Walnut with my boyfriend on a Thursday night. The service was good, staff are genuine and attentive, the ambience is lovely and there was a nice buzz in the restaurant. Our food was delicious and we will both return. It is great to have a nice restaurant to go to in Portarlington. Well worth a visit.

1 Thank Donegalabu
Hi Donegalabu,
Thanks for taking the time recently to review our restaurant on tripadvisor recently. We appreciate your great comments..
Hope to see you both again soon.
Portarlington, Ireland
“Very tasty”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Met with pal today for a long overdue chat and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Lovely and warm, friendly staff, and food was second to none.

Asked waitress to find out what dressing was on the side salad as it was very tasty, waitress returned with the information from the chef. Took note of it quick smart. Have to say that this was the first side salad that I finished with my meal - ever. Will definitely be back.

Hi Marybb_13,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your fabulous review of our restaurant recently here on tripadvisor.
Really appreciate the feedback.
Hope to see you again real soon.
Dublin, Ireland
“Won't be rushing back”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Although I have reviewed about the restaurant before, I wanted to return and give the place another go. We dined on a Sunday night and there was a lovely ambience to the place and the staff could not have been nicer. Unfortunately the food in my view was not up to scratch. We ordered the chicken wings, and they were fine but definitely nothing special. They were slightly greasy but just needed a little more seasoning overall. I would however like to add that the option to share the starters and have bigger portions was a nice idea on the menu. My partners main was the chorizo pasta, this was completely lacking in flavour. Chorizo is such a strong, dominant flavour and there was so little flavour from the dish it was really disappointing. I ordered the plaice with crab risotto, the plaice itself was lovely, really fresh and light. The risotto however was nice, but was swimming in water and oil, which totally put me off my dish. I am disappointed that my experiences hasn't lived up to others, as I would love to be able to enjoy the local restaurant but I wouldn't be returning to this restaurant myself.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Stn_Eve
DawnDaisy46, Owner at The Candied Walnut Eatery, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Stn:Eve,
Thank you for reviewing our restaurant on tripadvisor. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your dining experience with us. Our wings are hugely popular with our customers. We change up our menu now & again & took the wings off but we had to put them back on due to so many requests for them!! Yes, we are quite aware that the chorizo in our tagliatelle dish is a dominant flavour. Sorry this wasn't to your liking.
Lastly, our crab & plaice risotto has an emulsion in it. It there was too much in your dish I hope you informed your server who would have rectified that for you immediately.
We would always prefer if a customer is unhappy with anything that they would bring it to our attention on the night in question so that we can rectify the situation there & then. Our aim is always to have our valued customers leave happy.
Best regards,
Dawn Hayden
“Lovely dining experience - looking forward to returning.”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had a really lovely meal tonight. The food was delicious. In particular the specials ( ribs and monkfisk) were fantastic. Overall very enjoyable and will be returning.

Hi lindaodonnell,
Many thanks for your great review of our restaurant recently here on tripadvisor. Glad you enjoyed.. The Monkfish is one of my fav dishes..
Hope to see you again real soon.