“Not bad, Not particularly good.”
Review of The Hungry Trout

The Hungry Trout
Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in New Quay
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are open to serve breakfast, lunch and evening meals, Our menus include fish, meat and vegetarian meals also a wide selection of children's meals. All our dishes are homemade and prepared to order and we are able to cater for all dietary needs
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I wouldnt really consider this a good family venue, food is of good quality and prices reflect this, location is superb! I just didnt appreciate the over flirtatious manner of the exclusively female staff- in very short mini skirts! may entice some visitors- but not for us, as mentioned we were travelling as a family and found this restaurant to be too subdued and 'adult' I'm not a prude by anyones standard but it was a little embarrassing!

1  Thank rebeccaloulou

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went with a group of 10 adults Mussells for starters with a lovely tasty sauce Monkfish was beautifully cooked with a rich tomato based sauce. Veg was cooked to perfection The young lady serving was on her own but was friendly polite quick and efficient. The chef also took time to enquire if we were enjoying our meal. Plenty of good food.My one minor gripe was I was not overly warm, but it is winter !!!

1  Thank C B
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Went for a meal with my family six of us in total, for lunch a week ago. I was highly disappointed as I chose the smoked chicken salad starter which it had no chicken in it at all just a bowl of salad with this extremely strong cheese dressing with was overpowering!! I chose the steak for main course which was off by the distinct smell and taste, I sent it back to then be told it wasn't off but yet they took it off the bill anyway. We ended up going for pudding at the pub down the road as we were all very disappointed and found our self hungry still. The meal was highly expensive and not worth the money. And the bar lady wasn't welcoming at all and struggled to even smile, felt like she didn't want to be there. I wouldn't recommend and certainly wouldn't go there again.

1  Thank Ricardobailz
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was our 8 th visit to the Hungry Trout and wish we had not bothered. We have eaten here on numerous special occations and this visit was a special Christmas treat to our girls and their partners, with us being in the hotel industry we had worked all over Christmas and New Year and wanted to have good food and company. The waitress seemed to be alone and was dressed in a polo shirt which didn't seem to warrant the £220 bill!! My daughters steak was off and after raising it with the chef we were told that it was fine! I dont mind if somebody admits their mistakes but to be told the steak was fine even though it was obvious by the SMELL that it was off was a slap in the face!! Even though it was deducted off the bill, very kindly, we felt like we had been in somebody's lounge for tea! Not worth £220! Very disappointed indeed!!

3  Thank Gazzer1234
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Was in the pleasant village of New Quay on Tuesday, saw the Hungry Trout (which was closed at the time), read the menus and thought this would be great for a proper evening meal before we leave the area. The menus looked varied (almost overly so-couldn't work out if it was a fish restaurant, oriental, pub grub etc- but there seemed to be a strong selection). The times advised said open 6.30-9 Monday- Sunday. I returned at 6.40pm on Wednesday with my partner for a meal (which we were very excited about) from RhydLewis where we staying (a 25 mile round trip) only to find the place closed up. Closer inspections of the menus found 1 of the 5 stating they were open Thursday to Saturday. Would have been really useful to update the whole bloody noticeboard!!! I'm sure the food here is really lovely- lord knows we were excited about trying it, but I cannot dispaly enough my disappointment at the total lack of communication to potential customers over opening times- a 25 mle round trip in wet, remote West Wales is no laughing matter!! We ended up grabbing a rather demure chinese takeaway home with us which really was no substitute (unsurprisingly it was cold when we returned to our digs.)

I totally understand how in remote fishing villages it is untangible to remain open every night out of tourist season- but you must communicate competently with your potential customers. I welcome feedback from the propietors on this.