“A fab break away from it all!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Quay
Quay West Holiday Park - Haven
Rhondda Cynon Taf, United Kingdom
“A fab break away from it all!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Friends and ourselves were going to book through the Sun holiday offer but when we checked direct with haven it worked out better value to book direct. We booked a three bedroom standard plus van for four adults two seven year old girls and a three year old girl.
I did have concerns that it may not be suitable or that because you can have pets to stay it may not be great for me or my daughter as we can have allergic reaction to animal hairs.

I have to say that when we arrived at our caravan there was no need to be concerned it was very clean and allthough the bedrooms are small there was pleanty of room for us all. We were in the Preseli area in van 72 and only a short walk from the clubhouse with great views over the bay. One problem it was very very cold in the evenings and if we had been on our own and not with friends I think the four of us would have slept in the living area with the fire, to be fair it does state that there is no other heaters in this type of van when you book and I think we would bring an oil filled rad or something next time.

My two girls loved the pool and all the facilities on the site were very clean and the staff at the live lounge and the Mash and Barrel were very friendly and helpfull.

Did we have any thing that we didn't like or had concerns over? well yes nothing that would stop us from returning but they did have an impact on or stay.

We all enjoy a drink in the evenings but would not leave our children run riot in the amusment area while we drank and watched the show in the live lounge! I find it disturbing that there where security staff moving children away from in front of the stagewhen a show was on yet they would just walk around the amusment area leaving what I would call 9 to 14 year olds play tag and some young boys play fighting beating each other up! On more than one occasion I had to quickly react to them running from behind games machines to stop them absolutly flattening my 3 year old to only face some sarcastic little child giving me a look that it was me being in the wrong for walking around the area! You have to sort this out or some poor child will get hurt!

As with other comments here I did find the prices for everything very high, everything is geared up for maximum profit, we have visited other parks and even the candy floss machine is double the price of others. The food in the Mash and Barrel is very good and you cannot fault its quality but it is expensive compared to other theme based eateries. And why oh why do you not have any five pound notes? Is so that my kids can fill the machines with my change?

All in all we did had a fab weekend and as said earlier we would and probably will return later in the year and if the weather is going to be cold book a van with double glazing and heating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Quay W, Manager at Quay West Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your review- it’s great to hear you all had a lovely time here at Quay West. Your photos that you added look great!

Just to let you know- I have spoken to the security staff and also the team within the arcade and they will be focusing their efforts on the safety of our guests using the area- especially as you mention little ones that may not be visible.

Don’t forget if you book again this year you can qualify for our “visit again” promotion.

We hope to see you again soon!

Holiday Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
wales
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked to stay as part of a junior football tour on the 26 April, we had a deluxe caravan situated in Gwynedd which was lovely and more than met our needs. My 3 children loved the pool and park. I am already looking for a weekend break to come back as its more convenient than Littlesea and just as nice. I can imagine its lovely in sunny weather when the outdoor pool is open.

• Stayed April 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for your review about your recent stay here at Quay West.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your time here on park whilst travelling as part of sports tour- it’s a great atmosphere when you guys are with us.

We hope to see you here again soon- we can’t promise sunshine but we can promise that you’ll have a great stay once again with us.

Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My mum owns a caravan on this site and we love it, great views, very clean and very well maintained, our visits here are cherished, however as of late i feel that the laundrette has become incredibly over priced especially if you are not owners, the machines i feel do not work that well!, clothes do not always come out clean and the dryers make your clothes smell. The spar shop has really friendly staff but is way over priced! The staff in mash and barrel are also great and really helpful, however this too is way over priced! Drinks are extortionate! We did order some food which is normally hit and miss, £7.95 for nachos the smallest plate of nachos ever! And £9.99 for a bowl of mussels which were lovely and the sauce was really good but there wasnt enough, big let down especially when you can walk into new quay and get a steaming hot pan of moules, frites and fresh bread for £8, coming from a catering background it winds me up!!! Get the food right and keep the prices sensible and people will be happy. Also this year they have new high chairs, parents beware these high chairs are down right dangerous!!! My son slipped through and got his head stuck, the straps are of no use at all and it doesnt come with a tray yet so you have to try and position your child at the table rather awkwardly! Previous years the highchairs were a bit brightly coloured but they were comfortable and safe!
I think the management also need to come out from hiding, interact with your customers, the sign of a good manager is one who isnt frightened of getting there hands dirty!

Room Tip: Do not go for the basic caravans you will be dissapointed
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Quay W, Manager at Quay West Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Hi Angela,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback about your holiday experiences here at Quay West. It’s great to hear that you’re making use of your mother’s holiday home here on site.

Your comments regarding the staff were lovely to read- it really is great to hear the team here on park across all departments are doing us proud and delivering a fantastic service for both holiday makers and owners alike.

I’ve spoken with the team that look after the laundrette facilities and they have assured me the machines have recently been serviced so should be in full working order. They also mentioned that if you are not using an owners discount card that we do offer discounted packages on the wash and dry tokens details of which can be found in the Spar shop.

It was surprising to see that you were disappointed with the food portion sizes in the Mash and Barrel. Our team are producing dishes from our new Gastro menu on both Friday and Saturday nights- consisting of dishes made from locally sourced produce. Like you mentioned the quality of the food is fantastic and we have been receiving lots of positive feedback, but portion sizes has never been bought to our attention. Consequently I have passed this on to the team to look at for you.

From previous comments posted by our guest here on trip advisor it was disheartening to read that you felt management were not present or visible. We have a new management team this year- and we’ve had lots of lovely comments about the likes of Dave Twiss our Mash and Barrel Manager and Cemal Mustafa or “Muss” as he is known to many- please feel free to pay them a visit and introduce yourself to them next time you’re on park.

From a safety perspective both Muss and Dave have assured me that there new highchairs are made from environmentally friendly rubber wood and comply with European standard BS EN 14988 : 2006 for highchairs. We still have last years in stock though so if you prefer to use one of those please ask a member of our team.

We hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards,
Wales
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed Friday to Monday Easter Bank Holiday weekend 2013. Having stayed here many times before (only living hour and a half away) on the sun breaks we booked two separate weekend breaks for this year at reception before our departure last time to ensure a caravan with a bit more room, heating in bedrooms and beds made up on arrival (my personal treat!). Had courtesy call a day before arrival, which is something we don't usually get, just asking us if we were still coming and telling us it was a bit chilly and to pack accordingly. Check in was smooth and friendly as always and we were allocated a caravan at the same location we usually get put when we go on the sun holidays - something we were not expecting it has to be said. We have stayed in nicer areas of the site having paid a lot less. Fortunately we arrived at the caravan to find it wasn't as basic as we feared and had all the facilities we had paid extra for. The caravan was clean, as was the site in general. We ran out of gas on return to our caravan the first night (which was cold) but a quick call to security ensured someone was at our door and replacing the gas within a ten minutes. This is a quiet site with access to a nearby beach, indooe and outdoor pool, childrens activities, amusements, mash and barrel restaurant, evening entertainment, outdoor play area and pre-bookable activities such as fencing, archery etc. The staff in reception, maintenance, security, mash and barrel, swimming pools, leisure, childrens entertainment are all friendly and welcoming - something most of the staff behind the bar at the entertainment in the evening could learn from with the exception of one called Rhiannon who had a constant smile on her face ........that makes a difference when being served believe it or not! All in all I would recommend this site if you are looking for a quiet break where you have access to a nearby beach, can walk into New Quay and do some dolphin spotting or take a boat trip or want a base to visit places like Aberystwyth, Aberaron, Folly Farm, Carmarthen etc. We have another break booked in June and have booked to stay again next Easter again which is an endorsement in itself. If we could afford to own a caravan here we would not hesitate due to it's location for us personally.

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra for beds made up on arrival .......saves you bag room in car and washing a...
2 Thank Cymro_Cymraeg1
Hi there,

Thanks for your great review about Quay West.

It’s very encouraging to hear first hand that all our efforts as a team are greatly appreciated by our guests and it’s something we’re very proud of here on park.

Its lovely to see that you’re coming back to us in June- if you have your holiday reference number to hand please give me at ring at park I’ll happily take a personal interest in your booking. If there’s a community area on park that you would like to stay in let me know and the team will try there hardest to sort that out for you. Our direct contact number is 01545 560477.

We’ll look forward to welcoming you back at Quay West soon!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My review is rather belated but I felt that, having just booked a holiday for this October with Quay West it was justworthy. I stayed here with my two children on my own in October 2012 after finding a last minute break through a third party company.

This is the second Haven site I have been to with my kids and definitely my favourite from now on. The location is easily accessible for those of who do not drive and want to venture put of the site, with the beautiful New Quay only a few minutes walk away with its restaurants, cafes, scenery and boat trips.

As for the site itself - it was much calmer and quieter than other Haven and holiday sites I have visited which made for a relaxing holiday, no queues and the chance for my children to actually be picked to take part in the activities (the first year at any holiday with their hands desperately in the air hoping for a chance and they both got to be on stage in competitions or shows). It really makes a difference to the kids and I have to say the quality of the Fun Stars was second to none as, I think, not only were they exceptional (Funstar Charlotte and Mickey were the girls faves but they were all great and able to develop relationships with the kids so no one was left out).

I upgraded at the last minute to deluxe plus with fan heating in the bedrooms as we went on October. Luckily the weather was not too bad so heating was not needed that much and a problem with the fire identified on arrival was sorted in no time. However, few other sites could have offered the fantastic sea view we had (even though our van was at the rear of the park near the main entrance) and one of my favourite memories is sitting with my morning coffee before the children awoke watching the sun rise on the decking.

I have booked one of the new summer houses for 2013 and am hoping to be equally delighted with the accommodation and views on offer but even so, hats off to Quay West - one of the most beautiful and stress-free family holidays I had in a long time and look forward to returning this October!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Emma D
Quay W, Manager at Quay West Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Hi Emma,

Thank you for your feedback about your holiday here with in October 2012- it’s great to hear that you’re coming back to our lovely site this year!

I noticed that you have booked one of our Summer House accommodations for your holiday with us that come with double glazing and central heating- so if it is cooler than last year I’m sure you’ll find it nice and cosy. The summer houses are dotted around the park so give us a call direct on 01545560477 and we’ll pop a special request on your booking to try and get you a sea view if we can.

Derbyshire, UK.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a strange call a few days before we were due to arrive which had us worried that our hoilday was being cancelled but when I called back they were trying to be helpful and said that when our check in was (3pm) and that not to worry if we got there early as they would let us have the caravan when it was ready. We arrived 15 minutes early to be told to look around the shop. Very odd. When we returned at 3pm to book in we were told that they were unsure if our caravan was ready but we could go and look.

We did find that we'd been given a 3 bedroom when we had booked a two bedroom caravan which gave us slightly more space. The caravan seemed to be hemmed in my a lot of other caravans (we have stayed at this site before and only had one each side the time before) this time we seemed to have 4 very close by. Also, we had gone for a deluxe plus thinking that the heating provided would be adequate but it was very cold in the caravan for the first day and night. The double bed was so uncomfortable that after the first night I chose to sleep on a single bed. The parking bay was also confusing as the bay marked up for our caravan was used by another caravan user (but reception just said that they wouldn't know who was parking there! So why mark up the bays if it is a free for all?)

The indoor pool was fine for the children but not good for an adult actually wanted to do some swimming. The lockers also cost 20p which was not refundable (and the lockers were quite small.) it would also have been useful to have had a family changing room as changing with two small children wasn't easy in a single cubicle.

We had a drink on evening. The wine had a taste of vinegar about it so didn't go back. The children enjoyed the evening entertainment.

We like the walk to the beach (it's quite a steep hill to and from the beach but this is New Quay!) The walk to New Quay from the beach when the tide is out is fun and much nicer (and quicker) than walking along the road. We looked around the RNLI life boat and also did one of the dolphin boat trips (no dolphins, too early, but we saw some seals.)

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Much of that has to do with the location rather than the quality of the caravan park.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay here with us at Quay West Holiday Park. It was great to read that you enjoyed our beach and New Quay itself.

However, I was really sorry to read that certain aspects of your stay were not to our usual standards. We pride ourselves on delivering a high level of service to all our guests. In particular the aspects you mentioned concerning the positioning of your holiday home and the mattress are disappointing. Consequently I have passed on your comments to our leadership team here on park which they will action upon.

It would be great if you could email me on quaywesttripadvisor@haven.com and let me know if you’re visiting us again- I’ll personally ensure you get the haven experience we pride our self on.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just returned from 7 day holiday at Quay West. When booking I asked for a quiet location, thankfully we got one...a platinum caravan located at Powys (all caravans had location names). First brownie point for Haven! (Although a few caravans were empty).
Secondly, the caravan was lovely. Everything we could ask for; central heating, power shower, comfy chairs in the lounge, working telly etc...BIG downside was the small and I mean small radiator in the "master" bedroom. It was bloomin' freezing heating had to be on all night, also not enough space for two adults.
Lovely view of New Quay....a small harbour town that we visited several times as we have been very lucky with the weather. An excellent ice cream parlour but expect to be disappointed with the reptile zoo (overpriced and very small).
Anyway back to Haven, Mash & Barrel the restaurant was very nice to sit in but make sure you have plenty of money....overpriced and breakfast wasn't hot enough, drinks expensive...think you get the picture.
Outdoor pool was closed, don't know why?? Yes it was cold but it's now after Easter and the holidays are upon us....surely children are used to getting cold & wet or is it lack of staff or health & safety reasons!?
Staff very pleasant and a big up to Matt at the shooting range who made the archery and shooting a great experience for my two children.
Not a good experience was the beach.....what is it with Haven and their so called access to the beach?? Don't believe the description that access to the beach is good. Firstly, signs were rubbish and once we did find access, it is a steep drop down through wooded trees and a manky metal bridge....prepare yourself for the horrible trip back up. We decided to go to Poppit Sands, a beach we'd been to before located about an hour away at St Dogmaels....lovely beach with free parking, toilets and a lovely cafe if a bit expensive.
Probably forgotten a few things but if we hadn't had such lovely weather, not sure my review would have been the same. Used Haven as a base.....went to Oakwood Theme Park, the railway to Devils Bridge and visited a few beaches. Not sure what we would have done if had bad weather.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location if you don't want noisy neighbours!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Quay W, Manager at Quay West Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your review about your recent stay here at Quay West- it was great to hear you had a lovely time at our park and the surrounding areas.

Just a note about the outdoor pool and the beach access points- our pool will be open from Whitsun weekend in May. With Easter being so early and the sub zero temperatures we have been experiencing we didn’t think it was suitable to have it open yet. Nevertheless we are excited to get it open, especially with our new outdoor beach hut changing rooms!

The three beach access points are something that we are constantly striving to improve- the natural layout and terrain of the park doesn’t allow us to have the most excellent accessibility- primarily because of where/how we are positioned. I’ll be sure to pass on your comments to the management team though- it’s great to get feedback wherever we can. On the plus side and from a personal perspective our positioning does allow for the some of the best sea views I’ve ever seen.

We hope to see you again here at Quay West!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Quay
The Cambrian Hotel - B &B, Pub and Restaurant
The Penwig
The Penwig
#4 of 19 in New Quay

Been to Quay West Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!