“Just where it should be....”
Review of Bell Rock Tavern - CLOSED

Bell Rock Tavern
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Gill and Eddie Lange, both artists, took over the Bell Rock in February of this year 2013. They have re-connected this traditional pub to the Harbour through re-opening the original front entrance bringing in natural light and giving views to the harbour. The maritime feel continues on the menu with the Bell Rock's trade mark delicious dishes of fresh Scottish mussels and Haddock and Chips as well as lots of other choices. A home to regular Thursday evenings of lively Folk Music the Bell Rock also hosted a large Folk Music weekend last Easter and is about to launch it's first Real Ale and Music weekend 2 - 5 August in conjunction with CAMRA.Family friendly and we welcome well behaved dogs too!! Our Terrace has a great view to the harbour and over the mouth of the River Tay.We are a traditional Scottish community pub that aims to be professional yet supremely informal
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Right by the harbour, just where it should be....

This pub has a good feel to it. It is spread over two floors and has an open terrace on the second floor. The ground floor bar and restaurant and restaurant are cosy and there is a decent selection of ales on tap. Upstairs there is a lounge bar which is fairly light and airy and leads to the terrace which can also be accessed via a path from the street.

I have eaten twice in the pub. On the first occasion, I did not want a full meal (unlike my companions) and had a starter only; it was a tempura and the batter was excellent. I asked for it to be served at the same time as the main courses. No problem. I was assured by the others that their meals were very good and the portions were more than plentiful.

On the second visit, the barman suggested we might like to take our lunch on the terrace. That was a good suggestion on a lovely, sunny day and we enjoyed watching the coming and going in the harbour and the activity on the water beyond. We had beer battered haddock on that occasion and it was very good.

The menu is quite extensive for a pub and there is no problem finding something lighter, if required, because they were happy to oblige with a starter only in my case. You only have to ask. It makes a nice change from a lot of establishments which provide most food in a bun - freshly cooked, local food wins every time for me.

I look forward to returning to this well-located, friendly pub/restaurant in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Bell Rock Tavern

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The location of this pub is excellent, right on the harbour in Tayport (which I believe is part of the cycle route down to St Andrews?). We were recommended to give the Bell Rock a try and it didn't disappointed.

The bar tender was very friendly and had us seated quickly (whilst also serving the regulars at the bar), the atmosphere is very cosy and homely inside, it will make a cracking local when I move across at the tail end of the summer.

The menu is very reasonably priced for the quality of food on offer, which is excellent. Although word of warning my girlfriend ordered the mac & cheese, this is quite a large portion in itself which comes with a side of chips! So be hungry! #
I would recommend the scampi as it was absolutely perfect when it arrived, one of the best scampi's I've had out of a restaurant.

My parents returned about a week later whilst visiting the area and also mentioned that there is a roof top terrace which they absolutely loved, whilst sitting out in the sunshine. My dad highly recommends the Ossian which is on tap

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The bell rock is friendly and clean. owners dogs run freely around the bar. The menu is fairly limited. I only wanted something light, but could find no sandwiches/ rolls etc. Had to settle for a burger and chips. The burger was undercooked, and pink in the middle. Service was quite slow, although we were the first to arrive at 12.30 on a saturday lunchtime. Would not be keen to return.

1  Thank andrea w
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We arrived on Friday 31st March , had a great meal Mussels were excellent, As it was a folk festival we joined in with other folkies and sang for the 4 days we were in Tayport at the Tavern. The owners and staff could not have been nicer so welcoming and helpful.
Thanks to all at the Bell Rock Tavern for a super weekend we will be back.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This Tavern has recently been taken over by a local artist and his lovely Wife, with help from there hands on daughter and chef Son who regularly appears as the guest chef. I had Orcadian rope grown mussels, followed by locally sourced Fish & chips, portions are more than enough. For desert I had traditional sticky toffee pudding. The pub also has a selection of real ales to choose from. I do hope the folk of Tayport support this bar, it's being run by a local couple and sourcing local produce.