“Great Experience”
Review of Go Fishing Iceland

Go Fishing Iceland
More attraction details
Owner description: Go Fishing Iceland is a tour operator specializing in professionally guided fishing tours designed for anglers preferring personal service. We offer various kind of guided fishing tours on the pristine and clear rivers and lakes of Iceland. Fishing for salmon, brown trout, arctic char or sea trout. Go Fishing Iceland arrange for permits concerning self guided fishing tours. Variety of fishing permits available in all price categories. Go Fishing Iceland has all the required licenses to operate tourism services in Iceland. Please be welcome to get in touch. We would gladly help you to get the most out of your stay by arranging a fishing tour to remember. Best wishes. Mr.Heimir Bjarnason, Owner, managing director
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I spent a day and a half fishing with Go-Fishing Iceland. We had a great experience and highly recommend it.

The guides we worked with (Ari and Erling) were excellent, and incredibly patient with our limited skills (my wife is a beginner and I have acquired some bad habits). We spent a day at the Holaa River and half a day at a lake (can't recall the name). Both locations were gorgeous, and the fishing is excellent.

It's worth pointing out that our guides were both great company. A huge benefit of fishing with a guide (besides all the obvious fishing stuff) is that you get to spend a day with a local and have a much richer experience of the country.

We plan to return to Iceland, and when we do we'll definitely call Heimir to do more fishing.

4  Thank Michael T
in 18 reviews
"transportation"
"nymph"

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I went on a guided trip with Heimir to the Holaa river area in June. Heimir met us at our hotel right on time. The drive to and from the site was very pleasant, it gave us a chance to see the Icelandic countryside and to talk about current events with Heimir, whose English is excellent.

Upon arrival, we got our gear on (all provided by Heimir) and walked a few yards to the water's edge to start fishing. I was given a nymph rod while my girlfriend, new to fly-fishing, was given a spinning rod to start. I had only fly fished poppers and streamers for bass state-side, so Heimir gave me a few pointers on nymph fishing. These turned out to be good instructions, as I landed 2-3 beautiful char within the first hour or so. Girlfriend was not so lucky with the spinning gear, and soon switched to fly casting. Despite having zero experience she picked up enough of the basics from our guide's instruction to catch 3-4 fish. I managed to catch another ten or so before the end of the day, all char. Largest fish was probably ~4 pounds. Lunch was basic (but delicious and plentiful) sandwiches and coffee, if you're looking for a gourmet lunch I suggest you bring it yourself.

Overall, the trip greatly exceeded expectations, with plenty of fish, beautiful weather, great scenery. We thought the fee charged was very reasonable for the experience and look forward to returning one day. We would recommend Go-Fishing Iceland to anyone who enjoys fishing.

3  Thank Tom P
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I felt very lucky to book a fishing trip with Heimar at the last minute after deciding to stop in Iceland for the day (on their national holiday). He arranged a trip with another guide (Ari) who was excellent. After catching 2 nice arctic char, Ari was extremely gracious in showing me some of the sights of Iceland, including the local hotsprings on the same lake, and the "Law Rock" which is a truly amazing geologic feature. I would say Heimar and his team went way "above and beyond". If I return I will definitely call on Go-Fishing again!

3  Thank Sean M
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I reached out to a number of Iceland fly fishing guides in preparation for my visit to Iceland and without a doubt the response from 'Go-Fishing' was the most timely and professional. On that basis i was looking forward to a great experience. Reality was sadly not the case. We (my wife and I) were driven to a lake on a farmers property, kitted out in waders, given the rods, and with minimal tuition (we are both beginners) were placed knee deep to start casting. Cast we did. Same spot for the next 4 hours. Despite not a bite in the first hour our guide persisted with the same spot. After 2 hours we broke for 'lunch' (sandwiches and warm offee) and then moved 30 metres to the left of where we had just stood and cast again for another 2 horus. We caught nought which I can accept. That's part and parcel of the whole fishing experience. What I thought was poor was the lack of tuition, and interest shown in us.in addition to the lack of thought given about where to fish.(At one stage our guide, Heimir, sauntered off to have a smoke and chat wth another guide about 400 metres away ). He didn;t even chance our prospects in the small river nearby. It was a far cry from the high level of service we have received both times we have tried fly fishing in the USA.

8  Thank nw05250
Heimir B, Owner at Go Fishing Iceland, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Hi Nicholas

I´m sorry to read your trip with me was a disapointing experience, but thank you so much for the review. My companies aim is always doing the best in providing as good services as possible, so receiving bad reviews is just a motivation in doing better. From my point of view I would though like to put in few remarks. In your case I had the belive I was trying my best in order to teach you how to cast a fly which was due to be the main task of the fishing trip. The weather that day wasn´t particularly on our side so I decided to choose spots providing good shelter suitable for beginners to practice the casting, but as well spots well known for supporting fish. Fly casting by a lake is usually the best site in order to practice the casting technique and after a while of providing the basics I belive one must be given some time for their own practice, without having the guide on the clients back. Meanwhile I met another guide who told me about slow fishing in the mentioned river so with respect to your skills an the windy conditions I decided to skip the river. Than after a break we went through the casting process on and on and for total beginners you were not doing so bad, but slowly improving, which is normal. Those who are involved in fly fishing know that this kind of activity does require both certain kind of technique as well as lot of practicing to be rewarded with fish. Of course luck must always be involved and sometimes beginners luck bring in fish right away. Catching a fish will never be something for certain, not even for the experienced ones. Uncertainty is simply the nature of this sport. I usually try to minimize the beginners prospects in terms of catching a fish just right away, but will for certain put in a extra effort in doing better there.
Best regards
Heimir Bjarnason

See more reviews
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I went fishing for brown trout and arctic char at Laugarvatn Lake with Heimir Bjarnason in early May 2013. I 100% recommend this particular trip, and I imagine that any other trip with Heimir would be well-planned, informative, scenic and, of course, likely to end in tight lines. Heimir offers options for all varieties of sport fishing, both fly and spinning tackle. He communicates and plans over email in detail and perfect English. You'll know where you're going, what you're fishing, what to bring and what to expect. Heimir provides all transportation and equipment, and the quality is no joke. I've hired guides in Alaska, Oregon, Florida, etc - fishing guides tend to either offer a "local/authentic" or "high end/quality" fishing experience, but rarely both - Heimir is one of the exceptions.

Laugarvatn Lake is a nice trip, especially if you want to use both fly and spinning tackle (or for groups who are split on the matter). The hour drive offers amazing scenic views of the continental divide, volcanic craters, Icelandic horses etc., and Heimir doubles as your tour guide. Although I skipped doing a Golden Circle tour, I believe that doing this day trip with Heimir is a much better option, and covers a lot of the same ground. Despite poor fishing conditions, my girlfriend landed her first brown trout using spinning tackle, and I caught my first arctic char on a fly.

In addition to being very high quality, the trip with Heimir was the least expensive of any I looked at. I would absolutely recommend getting out of Reykjavik for a day of fishing with Go-Fishing Iceland.

2  Thank Nathan K