“Excellent place, nice people”
Review of Kunga Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McLeod Ganj
Kunga Guest House
Ranked #11 of 68 McLeod Ganj B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Kunga guest house is really good. I stayed there for a week and am sure that will stay there in my next visit. Rates are very good and the people there are nice.
On the ground floor they have a fantastic restaurant which is known for its food quality. In the restaurant there is a small library too and you get free wifi internet there. Typically good crowd frequents this place and its easy to find like minded people there.

If you are going to visit the main monastery every day, be ready to walk a lot, as Kunga is situated at the other end of the town. Or you can rent a bike too. But on the other hand it is very conveniently located nearing the bus stand, main square and TIPA and main market. They have variety of rooms there ranging from 200 rs to 1000 or more. I opted for a room with bathroom and was quite happy with it. It had a lovely view of the valley too.

Nick's restaurant is a gem and I landed up eating there everyday even tough there were cheaper places around. One thing you should not miss is the Tibetan Massage. It costs around 500 rs and its just incredible!

Lovely place with nice people make it a place where I would want to stay again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank EmmDee1

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed here for over a month and loved it. The beds are nice with giant blankets to keep you warm in the winter months. Staff is friendly.

I've seen some other reviewers complain about the shared bathroom. I thought it was pretty standard for India. Its ghetto but who cares! Hot water for showers is definitely a bonus. Squat toilet works and is cleaned daily. Works for me :)

Its a very short walk to the main square of McLeod ganj. All the restaurants are there, bus station, Dalai lama's temple, etc.

The price is hard to argue with. 300 Rs is good for McLeod. Most people boast abut paying 250 up in dharamkot.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The location is naturally very good. The management is warm and friendly and maintain a very comforting environment in the restaurant area. The hotel is good but not great. The cakes and pies at the restaurant are to look out for.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was planning to visit Mcleodganj with my mother and wanted to make sure the place we stay at is clean and nice. I came across Kunga Guest House and mailed them regarding my requirement and my concern- being 2 women travellers. Tenzin(owner) was very quick in responding and ensured our safety. I decided to book a semi deluxe room for Rs.1500 a night(double occupancy).

Location: The location of the guest house is absolutely perfect! It is located on Bhagsu Road. All the places of visit and cafes are closely located.

Room: The room was absolutely clean and huge. My room had a nice balcony with a great view. The bed was very comfortable with clean sheets and blankets. The bathroom was very clean.

Nick's Italian Kitchen: I loved eating at the guest house's restaurant. They serve excellent food. But the banoffee pie, lemon cheese cake, apple pie and cookies are some of the best I have had.The terrace is lovely to sit with a cup of tea and watch the beautiful mountains. The Hot Ginger Lemon Honey deserves a special mention.

Tenzin was very helpful throughout our stay and also the staff at Nick's is warm and friendly. We loved the place so much that we recommended some of my friends who were joining us on the trip to stay at Kunga.

We would love to go back and stay at Kunga again.

Only drawback of the place is the way to go to the rooms. The way is not well lit at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dhawan_Pri
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Only stay here if you can afford an attached bathroom - otherwise KEEP AWAY!

I arrived in McLeod Ganj at 6am about a week ago, and came to stay at Kunga's because I read such positive reviews. My budget was around R500-600, and I was given a room for R200. The room itself was quite clean but the bed was as hard as a rock. I tried out the nearest shared bathroom and got a bit of a shock.

Firstly, the keys are hidden in really weird places - I had to go and ask someone how to get in. Secondly, what I was told was a shower was in fact a room with two taps and a bucket, COVERED in black mould. The toilet was a squat one, similarly mouldy. It was so disgusting that I changed hotels immediately - I found a MUCH nicer place downtown which was immaculate and cost only R400 [Takhyil Guest House].

I'm sure the fancy rooms are lovely, but the cheap rooms are HORRENDOUS. I've stayed in some bad places but that bathroom was the stuff of nightmares!

Room Tip: DON'T go for the shared bathroom option!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Kunga Guest House happens to be my favorite place to stay in McLeod Ganj in all the trips I have had to the hill station so far. Given that I am extremely well acquainted with the town and know it by its roads extremely I give Kunga House a 10/10 for its spectacular location. Extremely friendly staff and a very cooperative owner (Tenzin) who is present at the property in person at most times. Easy to book as Tenzin is always available on his phone and email. Spacious rooms, probably the MOST SPACIOUS room u can imagine to get near the city center. Situated right at the head of the Bhagsu Road u can plan many treks from Kunga being the starting point. A guesthouse like feel to it is rather not true , they are laid out in such a way that the rooms are a little one bedroom studio in themselves, independent access from the main road directly to the room makes it even more comfortable to stay at especially if you are going to be hanging out late nights. The owner also runs the Nicks italian Kitchen one of my favorite restaurants in there, serves amazing breakfasts, Italian food and breakfasts. They bake there own fresh bakery items such as breads, brownies and cakes. The rooms are not just spacious but extremely clean, offer a brilliant view of the snow peaks, airy, clean and the mattress and blankets are in mint condition with no stink or stains. Spacious and hygienic baths. I would blindly decide to stay here each time I go to McLeod. My personal favorite is studio no. D17 if you call Tenzin much in advance you can make sure you get the room of your choice. You can expect to pay anything between 900-1200 INR per night depending what time of the year u are visiting.

Room Tip: Studio no. D17- The best room u can imagine to get stay at McLeod.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed at Kunga 3 years ago for 1 month. Was the most enjoyable stay. Staff is pleasant,helpful n courteous. Rooms are clean, nice bathroom with hot water 24 hours. The rooms facing the out door restaurant are quiet n have balconies n great views of the valley below n mountains above. The only thing is as far as I know they don't take room reservations. Its first come first serve policy

The food is great (vegetarian),with a very good menu Breakfast,Lunch n Dinner. Have been back to McLeod Ganj few more times, most recently in July this year 2013. And had 90% of my meals at Kunga. Wonderful Desserts,I like their cookies the best. You really have to try them.

So check out Kunga Guesthouse Nick's Restaurant one of the best in McLeod Ganj.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family