“Home away from home”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in McLeod Ganj
New Delhi, India
“Home away from home”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Stayed in Hotel Akash for one week and enjoyed every moment. We had an excellent breakfast every morning in the sun, served by really friendly staff, a big clean room with balcony (great view on the mountains) and bathroom with hot shower. We highly recommend this warm and homely place. Thank you!
Yvonne and Jan from Germany

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank YVO123_123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Ravensburg, Germany
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I really felt home! Very good price for double rooms. Around 400 to 500 R. Always clean rooms. I tried out 3 different rooms. Bathroom had warm water and normal showers. The rooms with the balcony I would recommand. Chai available every morning. Good service! Nice atmosphere and cosy wall decorations!

Hope Center for volunteering work around the corner. Yoga Center close by. Very good Japanes restaurant next to it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nathi n
Guacimo, Costa Rica
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Cannot recommend highly enough

The nutella pancakes are awesome, the view off the deck is great, and the community of travelers is really terrific. One love Akash holla back brrrrrr fly in any weather

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank mkustel
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Akash with a friend this past April. It was truly an amazing experience. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. The location was great. The cafe was delicious. I only wish I had more time to spend. The travelers that migrate toward Hotel Akash are very laid back and come from all different walks of life. I would definitely recommend Hotel Akash for anyone looking for a quiet laid back atmosphere to relax and enjoy McLeod Ganj!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank jkess4
lawrence
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed at Akash for 3 weeks as a solo female traveller looking to do some volunteering. Not only are they a fantastic location, literally RIGHT next to LIT (http://learningandideasfortibet.org/) and other volunteer opportunities, and located less than 5 minutes away from the main square/bazzars, but it is truly the most welcoming, warm place I have ever stayed. I read a couple of bad reviews on here and I would like to say PLEASE DISREGARD THEM! Those people clearly have bad, prissy attitudes. Ok, so if you are looking for a 5 star resort....DONT GO TO INDIA! Spend your vacation in the Carribean islands or something, you'll be much happier. If however, you would like a little slice of friendly India...I can offer no greater advice than to stay here. The people there--Moona, and I'm sure whoever is staying there at the same time as you, will become like your family. The lounge space/cafe in the main lobby is like the living room for the guests, everyone just chills there and enjoys eachothers company. You will make so many friends. It is fantastic if you are travelling alone but also if you are with a group! I really think anyone could have a great time here, if you are open and chill, but it is really perfect for backpackers. Don't expect American style comfort but that's because you aren't in America. It has more of a co-op feel than a hotel sometimes, ask if you can help make a group dinner or something! And bring your musical instrument with you--spontaneous jam nights are the best here! Embrace it, just chill out...and live the shanti life at Akash!!

Room Tip: they have a variety of rooms, some with kitchens--ask what's available
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank jenn729
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I was very disappointed in our stay here. The rooms are very dirty and the bedding did not look like it had been washed all year! The bed was as hard as sleeping on the floor and we woke with numb shoulders and stiff necks. We could not use their pillows at all due to the look and smell from them! The bathroom was incredibly dirty with hair left in the sink and shower plugs from previous guest(s) so the water wouldnt drain, the toilet leaked all over the floor everytime you flushed it and the tiled walls and floors looked as though they hadnt seen detergent ever. The owner and staff were not the friendliest people we encountered in India and seemed distracted by other things than their guests.
The hotel itself is not the most conveniently placed being at the bottom of the hill below the main square, dogs barked outside our window most of the night and I dont know where the cafe they advertised was as we could not even get a coffee in the morning.
There are lots of places to stay in McLeod Ganj and many of these were clean, comfortable and priced on a par with Hotel Akash so dont be fooled into booking this place before you arrive.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank WorldTraveller23x
New Delhi, India
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I planned my trip this June-July after seeing reviews for various hotels on Tripadvisor. Hotel Akash had a decent record of reviews. I booked it through himachalhotels.in. When I reached there with my family the reception was empty to teh left of which was Cafe Arabica with some chairs and a mattress on which you could see Europeans smoking drugs. Owner's brother came to us from there and said the hotel is full and there are no rooms. When we mentioned our booking he said he has a room. The small room had no phone, TV was not working and there was no place for extra bed. We asked whether we can check-out without cancellation charges when the person told us he has not received any payment, accepts no booking from internet and caters ONLY to Europeans. The agent had mixed up with Hotel Akshdeep and we were so thankful for the mixup. Akashdeep turned out to be good hotel with decent crowd and facilities though located in Bhagsunag which is 10 min walk from McLeodganj. It is unimaginable how an Indian can be so unwelcoming to other Indians. The person was most rude. I would not recomment this hotel unless you are 1. a European and 2. A drug addict yourself. I had a lucky escape.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family