“Horrible service; Arrogant staff; No proper heating”

and 1 more site!
Spring Valley Resort
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in McLeod Ganj
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed for a night here and it was not less than NIGHTMARE for both of us.

Go to this hotel only if you want to do following:
- Increase your blood pressure working with ARROGANT hotel staff.
- Die with cold (IMPROPER HEATERS, room central heating is not working).
- NO PRIVACY (visible big openings between rooms and TV/any-other sound audible from next room).

Few incidents:
- We met an arrogant staff at reception who has no respect for customers whatsoever and no sense of how to talk with customer.
- In suite room (highest category room of this hotel) you can hear TV sound from next room !
- We found that there was an opening between two suite rooms in which they had fit set top box of TV. And from that room next room is visible !!
- Suite room's central hitting is pure nonsense. It does not provide any heating whatsoever !!!
- At chilling temperature below 10 degree this hotel guy did not provide proper room heater. Either you can not pass your night here or you will die there.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jaydip M

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Hotel is good with respect to value... Dont expect much.. we had opted the hotel only for night stay and it was value for money... room cleaniness, staff, service,, food was not so great to be talked about.. but its good.. you wont be disappointed....

Room Tip: Choose the hotel for just night stay... and don't expect much
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vinb4u00
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I was in one of the very top rooms with a great view but it is a long way up lots of stairs and due to the altitude was a hard climb. It was a really nice room but they do have interconnecting doors to the next door rooms so can be noisy depending on your neighbours. Ideal for a family who want two rooms together. It was very cold at night, below freezing in February but they do provide heaters for 350 rupees extra, I had a hot water bottle which helped. There was a kettle and tea and coffee can be made which is a bonus in cold weather. Helpful staff and adequate restaurant and there is a wine shop directly opposite and a small supermarket nearby.
There is a lovely walk to the waterfall where you can relax and drink chai in very peaceful surroundings.

Room Tip: For the less able it is better not to have a top floor room as you will struggle with the amount of...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at the Cottage here in Spring Valley.
Zero complains.
Good Food, Great Service, Superb Location.
Absolutely no trouble what so ever.
Although I would suggest that the regular rooms are a bit cramped.
Opt for the cottages.
Hot water may be an issue but the hotel will take care of it.

Room Tip: Opt for the Cottages. They are much much better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

The Staff Here at Spring Valley strives to give you the experience better than anything. They try tier level best to serve you good food , Better house keeping and even more anything that you require.

We were staying in a cottage , at time without any commitment they served us food in the room as it is 7 floors up the reception.

The housekeeping staff is very much in their profile and do a good job.

Don't hesitate to stay here. It's very good for family and friends coming here. Value for price.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I had booked the honeymoon suite in this hotel. When me and my wife entered the "reception cum restaurant", the owner, a lady, was there at the desk. With no introduction and an attitude of "you are in my building", we started off our stay. No pleasantries at all. I had to ask her if the room booked by me is still the honeymoon suite, she very matter of fact way said yes.
So we were taken to our "honeymoon suite". It was on the third floor or level. That floor seemed deserted and later we heard scratching noises all through the morning to realise the paint job outside was still getting done. Anyhow, when we entered, we were greeted with really nasty stains on the bed. Seemed like someone had spilled "you know what" on the bed. My wife was shocked. We called the reception and asked the bed spread to be replaced. Imagine our surprise, the housekeeping lady came with a bundle, which was half dragging on the floor, happened to be the bed spread, seemed like it was picked up from some other room bed and brought here. She hurriedly replaced it, without any concern about the neatness of putting it on the bed.
Then to our horror, we realised that the Honeymoon suite balcony was a terrace shared by two other rooms with no divider. The curtains used in the room were flimsy enough to allow anyone from the other rooms to look inside from the terrace. Luckily there were no occupants in the other rooms. However in the second morning, I did see a painter who was working on the inside, there in the terrace, God knows how, roaming aimlessly. Imagine what effect that had on my newly wed wife.
While we were checking in, the lady "owner", did mention that our food would be served in the room. So the first night and second morning we asked for it to be delivered and it was done. However, on the second morning, I kept calling the room service, they never bothered to pick up the phone. We had to come all the way down to the restaurant cum reception to ask for breakfast.
As part of the honeymoon package, these guys were to give us a candle light dinner. After such horrors of stained bed sheet, cushions, safety concerns, I had almost forgotten about the candle light dinner. So on the second night, while I called for in room dinner, the operator, very coldly mentioned, since a candle light dinner and cake is part of "our package", they will be giving it to us. The whole beauty of the special occasion was lost with the way it was mentioned to me. Seemed like "since its paid for, we are forced to give it". So the plethora of food with two candles and a cake came to our room. Once again, the staff bringing that seemed to be tired of doing his job, so just wanted to finish it fast and surely seemed irritated with us asking the dinner in our room. Since it was just myself and my wife, I asked the guy if it was possible to just get two pastries instead of a cake, as that would be wasted cause between me and my wife, we wont be able to eat that. The response was a cold... "its part of your package, so no changes can be made". Wow, what a honeymoon treatment.....
We ended up not using any of their linen, including towels, those were dirty and far too used to tell whether those were washed or not. My wife was too scared to sleep for both the nights that we were there cause it seemed like we were exposed to anyone who had access to the terrace.
Strangely enough, tea/coffee dispenser was there with no water or spoon to stir and only one coffee sachet. We had to call for every basic thing that was supposed to be part of the room. The bathtub in the bathroom leaked massively. We both had to be very careful not to slip on the floor while we got out of it.
Having come from a hospitality background, with an background of one of the leading Hotel Management Institutions in India, I would rate this hotel as a pity in the name of hospitality. The owner, the lady, should really get herself trained in hospitality to know what it means to handle a hotel.
Lady, you spoiled my honeymoon, which is considered to be the most beautiful period for anyone. Just because, you never cared about people and continue to handle your property callously.
For the folks reading this, if you are in a group, you can use this "lodge". Please ensure you don't have any ladies, cause there is no guarantee who will peep into your room. This would be a good place for bachelors who want to use this lodge for fun. Definitely not recommended for families and surely not for newly married couples. You never know, who might been peeping inside while you were........ Really a pathetic hotel or shall I term it as a lodge, though it still would be an understatement..... I will for sure never recommend this one for anyone around me....

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bakshi d
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Wonderful location and pleasing hospitality from staff is highlight of this resort. Food taste was good and reception of service team is the best. I would strongly recommend for family vacaiton this could the best choice and would enjoy best nature feel around.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family