“Fabulous Christmas Party! :)”
Review of Popplefords - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Popplefords
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We had our Christmas Party at Popplefords and were absolutely impressed with everything. The planning down to the service was fantastic.

We wanted a quiet location for a staff xmas party to include a good venue, atmosphere, service and food. We were certainly not disappointed. The room was set up to our requirements with a festive theme, the staff were friendly and helpful, helping us plan, set up and also offered a beauty package tailored to our staff’s needs.

The actual evening was a real success, the food so good we had to ask for a break between the main and dessert as we were so full! The DJ got everyone up dancing and everyone had a great time. We had positive feedback from everyone who attended.

Thank you Popplefords, we will be coming again next year! :)

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Lots of negative reviews here but must admit we were well pleased. When we arrived we really did think the restaurant was closed. The waitress was very pleasant . We ordered the sea bass fillets. They arrived very quickly and were delicious.

1  Thank thatmanandrobin
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Had visited and reviewed the restaurant previously and whilst food had been good felt a little disappointed by service. Decided to return last month but have not written review as were awaiting response to letter sent following visit. Will just say that if the owners attitude to constructive criticism is to ignore it as they did both on the evening and by ignoring letter then there are plenty of other places offering proper customer service. Will not be returning.

8  Thank ustwo2
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Having seen all the advertising for Popplefords in the local newspaper decided it was time to give it a try. (I think its is probably under new management). It was lunch time and a glorious day. There is a garden area and also seating on the decking. It was not at all busy. The service was so slow we decided not to have a second course. The food was nothing special and the food at the salad bar looked well past its best.

11  Thank Valerie P
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I am one of the party from the wedding that has been mentioned! A very close friend to the bride and groom.

At first I no the bride was in dealing with a wedding planner which was very nice and helpful. Everything went to plan and both the owner and employee made the bridal party feel welcome. However the employee left and there wasn't much communication and the bride said to me a lot of things that had been said before or agreed but a few weeks or months before the wedding it hadn't been sorted or done.

Their thoughts of the day: promises made by popplefords but actually we're never delivered. Don't always believe what they tell you as on the day when it's too late your find something not done or done differently to how you would like it.

The toilets are an issue a up hill walk to the toilet and for the older generation a long walk! Only two small toilets. If the weather wasn't dry then you would get wet! The venue isn't a good place for a wheelchair user or people with walking difficulties.

The slope from the popplefords bar and toilets is off onto a track so if the weather is wet yes it would be muddy. Not ideal really.

Lights where promised to be put up on the slope but was never done so come the evening it was very dark. There were a few lights leading up to popplefords once you get the car park/ park part.

The food was lovely however some of the guest had cold meals not ideal when the bride and groom have paid alot for this day. Walking from popplefords down via the car park into the marquee doesn't really give popplefords a good look. A lot of our friends and family have picked up on this and am sure the bride and groom have said something.

The bride wasn't very happy about the bar set up as they had been told earlier that there would be a hired bar going in, they ended up with a table and drinks on the floor being served. Before paying the deposit infact only a week before did she come away from a meeting and finding out people will have to use the top bar to get most of their drinks and the impression was there would be a bar down in the marquee for bottles and wine and soft drinks but actually you couldn't call it a bar! I no I show underage children serving behind the bar (alcoholic drinks) this has been the talk between a lot of us.

The main upset of the day which i know the bride and groom have said was: their wedding cake was cut in the evening and popplefords served the sponge cake with the evening buffet but when they arrived back the next morning to clear up they found the cake which had been left out, no wrapped up and just left out on the table. Which of course had to be thrown away. What a waste of money. The cake wasn't cheap and was very RUDE of popplefords just leaving it out like that.

My thoughts are also: towards 1030 (the evening didn't finish til 12) the sweet table which had personally been done by us and the bride had been put away. The table was taken away by popplefords and they then just put the vases and sweets on the floor and on a guest table while they where sat there. They paid til 12 so this should have never happened. Very rude and looked a mess.

Not only did this happen by the cake table was taken down and owners where clearing up around guests before the venue finished taking items away which should have stayed til the end. At one point the chair covers the bride hired where being put in the bin until we said something. But the bride did find these still In a black bag along with the rubbish the next day. One of the owners also called time before 12. As soon as the coaches arrived we were called to go on these and leave.

They did work hard and deliver some good points but my personal point was there are too many negotiates than positives. Will they improved by the next wedding I hope so.
Am not sure who wrote the last review on here as may of us have felt the same as what I have wrote! I await to here the bride and grooms review.

9  Thank 733jillc
Popplefords, Owner at Popplefords, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

The following letter is a copy of which has been sent to the bride and groom.

Dear Mr & Mrs ......,

Firstly may we take this opportunity to wish you a long and happy marriage.

I will try to cover you points in your order.

The feedback from your guests on the day regarding the food was very positive, with many compliments, including from family members who were served at approximately 65% through the service order. We only had a single issue with a child meal, with the young lady wishing to change her meal, which we were able to do in a swift manner. We did not receive any negative comments on the day regarding the food, obviously if we had done so during service, we could have taken action.

In respect of the staff dress, we offer a very relaxed atmosphere here, which is something that has been requested by clients and potential clients, we are not a very formal type of venue, and doubt we will ever be so, I am sorry if you felt the staff dress was unsuitable for you and your guests.

From our perspective, there was never any plan to hire in a mobile bar arrangement, it is a system we have used both here and in other locations, and has always proved to be a suitable medium that gets the job done without the obvious extra expense of the hire cost, this cost is something that would have always to be passed on to the client, we are always mindful of clients budget, and never add on extras lightly.

Our son was indeed helping in and around the marquee, I hope you will agree he was smartly dressed, and is very familiar with social situations, and is very able to conduct himself in a very mature manner, being able to converse with people of all ages in a polite fashion. We was taking the money at the bar under adult supervision, using his very good mental maths skills, in fact his maths skills are far better than most young adults, and is certainly better than one of the young ladies who is training in a very serious profession. The staff in the later part of the evening who were around the bar were all over 18. I certainly did not witness any staff drinking alcohol at any time, and I was around the marquee all evening.

Our toilet facilities are available to see when any prospective clients comes to view our venue when planning their wedding and are mentioned to everyone. The new facilities that you mention will be our Spa, and obviously include changing rooms and toilets, these will not be available to wedding guests for use due to the nature of the building, the fact that it is laid out as a Spa and the fact that stock and equipment are throughout the building. However, these toilets were used but Mrs ........ and a number of elderly guests throughout the day on a regular basis, and one of the team was always on hand to let these guests in, I in fact helped Mrs ........ in and other guests on a number of occasions, which was very welcomed. This is obviously something that we would offer and will continue to do so. If the fact that the toilets in the main building is not suitable to a wedding client, portable toilet blocks are available to hire in, but again this would incur an extra cost.

The track that leads from the car park to the marquee entrance is not mud, it is stone and gravel, and exactly the same make up as our car park. As it leads to the stables, access is needed by vehicles at all times of the year, by horse boxes etc, and whilst obviously in wet weather it would be wet, it would not affect its structure any more than our car park, it certainly would not be a mud slide as has been mentioned.

On our meeting a few days before the day, it was mentioned about the lighting on this track. An extra flood light was installed on the balustrade that over looks this area and was operating in the evening. This light is obviously still in place should you wish to see its position.

The evening buffet we believe was suitably sized for your number of wedding guests, and to fit in with your budget. When clearing up, there was food left over of various types, which would suggest the the quantity was about right.

On the day you decided to change the running order of various elements, including the time at which you entered the marquee, this was some 45 minutes before the planned time, also at which point the speeches were to be made, and as such the event was rather dynamic. At the planned time for the cake cutting a senior staff member was there to organise it, only to be told by the DJ that it had already been done. The first dance and its organisation is something that would always be done by your DJ, it would be him that calls you up at the start of the evening dancing, and his way to really start his entertainment.

A percentage of your wedding cake was indeed cut by ourselves to be served along with your evening buffet, around 130 pieces were cut, we always under cut the total number as to not waste cake, as there is always a number of guests who choose not to have cake. There was as you say an amount that was not eaten from the buffet, which were left on the platters. These pieces that are left over form the buffet would never be re used or given back to the wedding couple for later consumption, as they had been out in the open for a number of hours, whilst I am sure that the cake would not go stale, after this time it certainly would not be hygienic to wrap up and used at a later date. This would also be against environmental health policy, so from our position, something that we could not do. The unused portion of your wedding cake was wrapped up and left in our kitchens over night, which you picked up the following morning.

The tables in the marquee were cleared of glasses and plates throughout the evening as would be expected, along with any rubbish on the tables, such as serviettes and wedding favour wrappers etc, this is done to help with the visual appearance of the tables and to give guests a rubbish free table to sit at. I am not aware of any tables being dismantled, The 3 buffet tables once cleared at around 11.15 were removed from the marquee, these tables as you will be aware were at the opposite end of the marquee from the dance floor and bar and next to the entrance, so their removal had no effect on wedding guests. At no point were chair covers or ribbons removed on that evening, we did in fact rescue some that had fallen off or had been taken off by guests that were found on the floor or under tables. The chair covers and ribbons were removed the following morning in the clear up process of the marquee, and during this process, the owners of the hire company who provided these covers arrived and would clarify that this was the case and were present when you arrived to collect your items from the marquee.

The finishing time for any event is very important for a commercial venue, something which is very different to a family event at home, and whilst parties never end on time at home they have to in this commercial situation. At our meeting a few days before your day, it was stressed that the event must be finished at midnight, with guests leaving very shortly afterwards. We have to consider our surrounding neighbours who live in the area, also our guests in the hotel.

It was however your disco provider that stopped his music at midnight, saying " Thats it from me" stopping his music and turning his lighting equipment off and instantly starting his pack up process.

At this point it was myself that went to check on the situation regarding your coaches that were providing transport home for many of your guests. These coaches were in the car park waiting to load, but one was on our driveway, struggling to pass the white BMW which brought you from the church. When you arrived your daughter was asleep in the car, and as a parent know full well that a child of that age needs to sleep, so suggested the car was parked there, to enable her to sleep in the car whilst you were stood very close by and in full view of everyone.

It was at this point that I asked the owner of the car a gentleman who I believe to be your brother in law if the car could be moved to enable the coach to pass, the gentleman obviously had been drinking, so I offered to move the car for him , and then asked the lady I believed to be your sister to move it. The car was not moved, and the coach ended up driving across the grass to access the car park. It was at that point, a time of around 12.05 am that I announced in the marquee that the coaches were waiting to load. I believe the coaches ended up leaving just after 12.15am.

I hope this cover the points that you have raised and that I have provided feedback, and suitable answers. At this point I would however like to add just a few points from our prospective. We take our clients day very seriously indeed, and try to offer their perfect day, but as everything in life there are limitations and budgets to maintain. Your number of guests was quite high, with 96 guests seated for your wedding breakfast and 150 evening guests, I felt that we provided a very good value service, including both the dining and also a marquee within your budget. As with all clients if budgets are higher then extras can also be added on.

I was however saddened that a number of your guests were bringing their own alcohol in for consumption, this was noticed not only by myself but also staff members. This included cans of wine spritzer, 500ml cola bottles filled with vodka, these items were found both during the evening and also during the clear up process, also along with quite a large quantity of beer in bottles, these bottles and their cardboard boxes were mainly found in the bottom corner of the car park thrown in the hedge, we know for sure that they did not come from our source as they were different brands to the ones we had on offer. We had a very difficult situation, do we say something to the people we saw doing this and obviously create a scene, or do we just keep quiet. We decided to say nothing so not to upset your day or yourselves. The amount of empty bottles thrown around the property and grounds was also upsetting and obviously causing a very real health and safety issue.

For us it is also a shame that people have added comments on Tripadvisor, although heartening that one of your guests has given us a positive review of your wedding day. With this in mind, I feel that it is only right that I will add this letter as a Management Response to each of those reviews, although it will not exactly answer the point as mentioned. I will obviously remove the names that I have mentioned in this letter.

As I have already said I hope this provides answers to your points and questions, and we are very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. Once again wish you a long, healthy and happy marriage.

Kind regards,