“tired, noisy and backwater pub.”
Review of The Cannon Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newton Poppleford
The Cannon Inn
Roscoff
“tired, noisy and backwater pub.”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stopped at this "Inn" and use the word loosely! while on a tour of Devon Inns and Pubs for a forthcoming book on the subject.
When i arrived at the Cannon, the car park was full of builders vans and old wrecks, not very good first impression! The building looked quit worn out and dated and flaking paint on the windows. On entering the pub, it took nearly 15 mins before the barmaid, an old blonde woman, bothered to serve me, and even then it seemed it was a task!.
I took a seat near the entrance and observed the occupants and the atmosphere of the interior, and the impression of a morgue springs to mind!.
The whole pub is dated, tired and worn out, and not very inviting. Rude staff, poor quality food and dirty seating was not very encouraging.
I spent 30 mins in the pub, and that was too long.
Compared to other Devon village pubs, this is the worst i have been in. To top it off, there was a distinct smell of cannabis on the air, and i suspect that the locals need this to endure such a place.
Do yourself a favour and drive on to the either the Bowd Inn, or the Halfway house and give this Cannon inn a miss.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank mike m

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Was on holiday with my daughter looking for a pub lunch somewhere on our way to Exmouth and came across this place. Nothing special to look at but I noticed they had a large garden and did food so we stopped and had a look.
The staff were friendly and we just ordered a couple of items from the snack menu as we were having our main meal of the day that evening.
I wasn't expecting much, but i have to say that the spicy cajun wrap was so good that we came back for it again the next day! Their chips are just perfect too.
We'll be back again next time we're down that way.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 23mikew
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am a fairly regular customer. Always eexcellent food and drink. Great starters
The Landlady can be lovely but sometimes a bit grumpy.
However, a brilliant "proper" pub. Always worth a visit._
Freshly cooked food - try the Black Pudding and Bacon Stack!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank UncleCrud
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

A great traditional pub with a good selection of real ales. They usually have guest beers on tap too which they seem to choose well. They usually host a beer festival on an annual basis and it's on the CAMRA listings.

It's good pub grub with good sized portions and very reasonably priced. The menu hasn't really altered much over the years so a change would be nice. However i can't grumble as it's excellent value.

I've been a regular here for a number of years now. My only grumble is that the landlady can be quite grumpy at times but that's most probably because of me!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Terrobean
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. All food is home cooked and delicious. Just been for Sunday lunch with friends, the choice for roast was beef, lamb or pork with Veg £6.95. I had the beef, 3 large slices with a yorkie, the potatoes were fab (not deep fried like so many) there was cauliflower cheese, carrots, broccoli & cabbage all were cooked to perfection. The apple crumble was also home cooked and perfect. We had drinks to start, 2 bottles of red and brandy's and it came to under £25 per head ....... fantastic value and worth every penny. I have had most things off the menu and my favourite is their giant rack of ribs ....... this is agreat local pub and I would highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Katrinalort63
Kent, England
Reviewed October 20, 2010

This is a friendly family-run inn on the main road between Exeter and Sidmouth. A half-hourly bus service connects the village to Exeter and Sidmouth, with hourly buses to Honiton, Exmouth, and Seaton, for the famous tramway. The room was fairly basic but comfortable, not en-suite but I didn't find this a problem, especially considering the price! Two local real ales were on offer, the evening food was good value, and the breakfasts very good, featuring local produce. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
#2 of 2 in Newton Poppleford
The Kings Arms
The Kings Arms
#1 of 1 in Otterton

Been to The Cannon Inn? Share your experiences!