“Great breakfast, lovely staff & a building full of character”

Southern Cross Guest House
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here for three nights & were very pleased with our experience. This is such a great value B&B, we couldn't have asked for better.
The staff are very helpful & friendly. The building is full of character (thatched roof, low doors & exposed beams). The room & the en suite were well kept & clean. The bed was comfortable.
The breakfast was most excellent. A selection of cereals came with a home made fruit compote. The full English was made with good quality sausage & bacon. The home made chunky marmalade was delicious.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Only a two night stopover but you couldn't have wished for a better place. We had such a friendly welcome when we arrived and were shown to this lovely big bedroom with the most comfortable large double bed. Décor was excellent and what we really liked was there was two comfy chairs as well. All too often you get one if you're lucky. The garden was beautiful and we found it so relaxing. I personally never have a breakfast so I can only go by what my husband said. He said it could not be faulted. There was so much to choose from but the homemade marmalade was definitely his favourite. The only downside was the wash hand basin was in the bedroom therefore because I have to get up in the night I woke my husband up. That is just a minor detail though and it didn't stop us from having a lovely time.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently stayed in this very charming 18th century guest house as a stopover on a long weekend away in Cornwall, and could not ask for a charming, oldie world Guest house, which had character with low doors, but high ceilings. Our 1st floor room was a double which had a wash basin in the room, and a small en-suite shower, and toilet. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. The breakfast could not be faulted, and you had a large selection to choose from. Outside they have a large garden which is used for cream teas, and was only sorry that we could not stay to sample one

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I am not going to say how much I paid for my night in a single bed in this b and b because it was so cheap you will think I was fibbing!

I went to Sidmouth at the last moment on business and this was the stand out option. There was no evening meal but there is an excellent pub down the road that did a stellar steak and chips.

Though only a small and basic room I slept very well and was up early for a breakfast that was worth the travelling for.

In short I wouldn't have minded paying more.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed at this lovely guest house on the weekend as we were meeting some family in nearby Sidmouth. As the Sidmouth hotel was £175 a night we wanted to find a less expensive alternative. The Southern Cross is an 18th century guest house which also offers cream teas during the day. There is a lovely garden for guests to sit, but we were unable to use it due to the normal British summer weather, i.e. rain. We were given room 2 which had the most cosy bed we have ever slept in. Breakfast was delicious and as a vegetarian it was lovely to not have to explain what I can and can't have and be provided with a full cooked vegetarian breakfast as the owner's wife is a veggie too!

The house itself is interesting and typical of the period. Remember to duck as you walk through the doors!

Our host was perfect being both professional and friendly.

We would certainly stay at the Southern Cross again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alimoys
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was booked into the Southern Cross Guest House by a comapny I was working for. Upon arrival, it was obvious that this was a beautiful, old, characterful house - and I was very excited by the exterior.

The twin room itself was relatively small, with a rather sloped floor (part of the 'character!') and an electric heater. Upon arrival, the room was freezing cold, and the heater took some time to warm up. In fact, having eaten out and returned to the room, it was still a little chilly... Not warming up until around 2am when I had to get out of bed to turn it down.
It was lucky that I noticed the 'Hot Water For Shower' switch - having not been notified of this upon arrival! Otherwise, i'd have been in for a sharp, cold shock early the next morning!
The shower itself was very weak, and, whilst on, made the toilet shredding machine 'whir' - which must have been a bit frustrating for other guests given how early I had to shower!

All in all, though, I was comfortable. Though a friend with a different room mentioned a musty smell to her towels and some damp around the foot of her bed. I slept not too badly, though not too well either.

The breakfast, however, was tasty, and arrived in decent time - and the two gentlemen who dealt with us were both pleasant and welcoming. The Southern Cross could certainly benefit from warming the rooms a little prior to guests arrival!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Snb70
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very good for the price - this is an expensive area even in the off season. We were made to feel very welcome and had everything we needed. It is an old cottage, so it is a bit quirky, but it was a lovely comfy bed. And a really great breakfast. Will most definitely go again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Southern Cross Guest House? Share your experiences!