“wonderful place home away from home”
Review of Cabanas Time Out

Cabanas Time Out
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Santa Catalina
Durango, Colorado
“wonderful place home away from home”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed an extra day because the accommodations were absolutely perfect. The small kitchen was more than adequate for preparing meals with a nice sized fridge, gas stove, coffee maker and other cooking essentials. The bed was very comfortable with nice pillows. The bathroom had warm water and everything was very clean. We enjoyed the satellite TV and air-conditioning as well. Located between town and the popular beach it was peaceful but not hard to walk into town or out to the beach. The pool was very well maintained and was a nice change from swimming in the ocean waves. The owner, Phil, was very helpful and his fully stocked freezer allowed us an inexpensive but delicious shrimp dinner. We were also able to buy fresh fruits and vegetables right there as a truck comes by every couple days with a variety to choose from at great prices. Santa Catalina it self has very little to offer and so we felt lucky to find such a great place that had everything we would need. Another reason to stay here is the clean water that comes from a deep well. We will definitely stay there again. Great views, safe and secure location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PiperandLoki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Boquete, Panama
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived unexpected the night before Time Out's Opening on a National Holiday weekend. From the owner, to the cheif to the folks still working on final preparations, we were treated like part of the family.

Loved the cabana. We could have just added a room on the back and decided to live in one of these beauties.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Yamahamomma
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Okay - so I am the companion/guest mentioned in the "Dangerous..." review below. First of all, I had no problem at all with the manager, Jeff. He was very friendly and extremely helpful. Yes, he kindly offered up his own bed to accommodate my request for an extra bed. Yes, he woke me up and drove me to the dive center at 7:30 a.m. He helped us clean up the glass from the broken stove-top. Like I said, no problem with him. That said, I have never seen a glass counter-top placed (and AFFIXED) on a stove-top. If someone is going to go over in detail how to use the shower, the AC, etc, it does not seem ridiculous to expect to tell the guests about a glass stove top. The fact that we were drinking beer (as Jeff was also, I might add) had nothing to do with the fact that the glass top shattered when we cooked the shrimps. I was actually cleaning it up and then asked Jeff for a broom. My friend did have cuts and it could have been much worse. I was not there when the owner talked to my companion about the damage, but judging from what I heard from him, he was very loud, condescending, and plain belittling and rude to Jeff in front of guests, for seemingly no reason, every time he opened his mouth; it was embarrassing. So I believe my friend when he said the owner was rude to him about the broken stove top (excuse US- both of us have traveled around the world and neither of us had seen a set up like that, and it was AFFIXED to the stove soooo why would we think to take it off??) and didn't care AT ALL that my friend was hurt. He just wanted the money to replace it, which is fair enough, but you don't have to be a jerk about it- especially to paying customers! To sum up, the place would be fine as long as the owner is off the premises. (Frankly, I don't even see why he is in a customer-service business except to make money, which should not be the only reason you are in the hotel business.) Sorry Jeff- you should get out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Merry878
Phil M, Owner at Cabanas Time Out, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
You got the purpose for TripAdvisor wrong along with your ratings.
AS to my manager that was let go for drinking to much breaking things and just not being able to think things out on his own. We are sorry for any such bad feelings that you may have for my resort.
I was gone for 5 days and on returning there was many things wrong this was part of what you might of over heard once again we here at CTO are sorry if it made you stay with us unjoyable .I am not going to list them on line for respect for the former manager.
As useing TripAdvisor as a tool to lash out at me and give my hotel a bad report for what was a problem with our employes we think that is unfair we spent lots of time and money here to make it a great place for our guest.
To the readers the negative report was the cause of a 20 dollar bill that was charged for the damage done while the two stayed with us for one night.
The real damage cost to replace every thing would of been $ 59 to replace the set of pots and pans and $159 for the stove .Was 20 dollar my main concern not at the least but they had to pay for there damages.As to the cut that was recived The Manager Jeff looked after that and let me know that the guest recived a very small cut on his toe maybe from the falling of the pot lid I dont know. well we will let you judge for that I will not respond to any more negitive responces for I know what we have created here at CTO
And this takes up my time that can be better spent on makeing our guest feel at home.
By looking at the other reports you can judge for yourself if this there report was justified for a 20 dollar charge made for damage.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We came into town without reservations, so we just started walking around. Walking distances from the bus top to the hotels are great. There is no street along the beach, so access is from a road about 1/4 mile off the beach and then down dirt, rutted roads to the hotels grouped at road's end near the beach.

We stumbled into Phil's "Time Out" cabanas and, although the restaurant and pool area is still under construction, we saw the obvious comfort and quality of the place and decided to stay when Phil correctly offered an "under construction" rate.

There is natural beauty seen from the pool and gazebo high on a palm-framed palisade overlooking the Pacific and the nearby picturesque island of Santa Catalina. The grounds are nicely kept considering that construction is still ongoing. Phil and Jeff are great hosts making sure your needs are met and offering amenities such as WiFi via cell phone modem, coffee in your kitchen percolator and frozen food for preparation in your modern kitchen.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable with flat-screen TV, ceiling fan-light, quiet and efficient air-conditioner and modern plumbing fixtures. Hot water is via an electric heater unit at the shower head and the fact that these are low-flow for hot water is not a big problem in warm coastal Panama. The small refrigerator is quiet and very adequate for stays of a week or more. The two friendly big black dogs, Labs(?), keep the place well-guarded. At night there is ample lighting for a safe feeling and the solid wood gates and high concrete wall give a real sense of security.

The pool is beautiful and we can't wait until the adjoining restaurant and pool bar are complete. The view to the water and islands and sunsets is worth the rate. The grass and palms give a comfortable, "home-y" resort feel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carlgaines
JeffBrainard, General Manager at Cabanas Time Out, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
As Tripadvisor is meant to be a resource for travelers I do not believe this review offers a potential guest accurate information they can rely on. First if you compare what the reviewer stated, “the room and setup were beautiful,” about me being friendly and compare that to the scores that were given in the areas of rooms, service and value it is clear that the reviewer was simply writing this review to damage the reputation of the hotel out of anger and not of clear and fair thinking on the actual experience. In addition what was excluded from the review are facts that might help potential travelers understand better what took place.
On the evening of check in the reviewer requested an additional bed to share the room with his traveling companion. As the spare cots were all in use, I brought my personal bed to the room and had it made to accommodate the guest. Later that evening guest returned late to the hotel and purchased a bag of langostina to prepare in their room. At around 11:30 p.m. the guests knocked on my door. They informed me there had been an accident with the stove. The stove in our rooms is gas and is setup with a folding glass backsplash. The pots and pans are setup on top of the stove for presentation and clearly not meant to be cooked on while in this position. Using the stove while it is in the backsplash is down is the equivalent of trying to light a cigarette while it is still in the pack. When I arrived at the room I noticed the shattered glass everywhere along with a large amount of empty beer cans. The reviewer was sitting in a chair in the middle of the glass with a small cut on his toe. I swept up the glass from the floor and brought Neosporin to the guest.
The following morning the traveling companion of the reviewer was given a personal wake up call, as requested, at 7:30 am. She was then personally chauffeured to the town for her scuba excursion
As the morning progressed there was no sign of the reviewer waking up. At noon I knocked on the door to his room to see if he’d be staying another night or if he planned on checking out as checkout is at noon. The reviewer came to the door, he was clearly still sleeping and said he’d be checking out but just needed a few minutes to get his stuff together.
At 1:00 the reviewer was still in the room and had obviously gone back to sleep. I returned to the room to ask if he was ready of if he’d decided to stay. The reviewer appeared to be in a daze or hung-over. He gathered his bags and put them in the back of our work truck, without even requesting a ride, he just assumed we were his personal chauffer. When Phil and I came to inspect the room at check out food and beers cans were all over the kitchen counter. In addition to the back splash being shattered one of the glass lids from the frying pan was also broken. When Phil asked what happened to the lid the reviewer quickly became defensive. Phil then only asked the reviewer to pay $20 for the damage to cover a portion of the cost of replacing the cookware. (A set of cookware costs in the range of $50). At this request the reviewer denied any responsibility for what had happened. He didn’t feel he should owe any compensation for damages. Phil said, he understands, “things happen but I have to replace it and asking for only a portion of the cost seems like a reasonable and fair compromise.” The guest wavered back and forth trying to come up with excuses for why it wasn’t any of his responsibility. Eventually he paid and was given a ride to town. On the way he still seemed incoherent as he repeatedly asked the same question over and over as if he’d never asked before.
If you look at what took place and take a look at the prior reviews our hotel has received I think you’ll see it is clearly the case of an individual who wrote an unfair review after being treated quite well. It is unfortunate that he left with a negative impression but it seems that it was really only the result of being asked to pay $20.00 for the damages.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at this place while it was still under construction. We were met at the bus stop by Jeff,who turned out to be a friendly, amiable and hard-working guy. The problem was the owner, Phil - whose rough attitude and disregard for your safety is very discouraging.

The room and setup were beautiful- the pool less so(at night you can see large amounts of white material floating in the lights,possibly due to the lack of a filter or chlorine.)The real problem was the stove,which use was not explained properly,resulting in glass shattering,with extreme force and cutting us up.

The owner completely did NOT care that we were left cut and bleeding.Verbatim quote:"What,I should have to tell you how to use the equipment?"What he was most interested in was payment for what was broken and caused physical hazards to us due to not explaining his stove setup.

You can stay at a nice place without dealing with someone who tells you directly that they care about your money, and not at all about your health or safety,even if they are at fault to some degree. It's also not pleasant to listen to him verbally roughing up his employees. Stay elsewhere-it'll be a better vibe and others might treat you more like a human with safety needs, than a pocketbook.

Room Tip: don't stay-your safety will be at risk.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank prospects_12
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We "accidently" stopped by Time out Cabanas at our last night in Santa catalina, just in time to catch the stunning sunset. We fell in love with the place, and decided to stay 2 more nights.
Phil - the owner, and his crew are the nicest and most down-to-earth people, and they really created a perfect spot for absolute chill and relaxation. The cabins are new, clean and comfortable, with full-functional kitchen. Cabins are around 100 dollars a night, but even if you are on a tight budget, please do your self a favour; Blow it for a couple of days, and take a Time-out in Santa Catalina!
The best way to go there is by car. It´s pretty remote, both definitely worth the drive, and a gresat place for surfing and beach-chill.
Time out Cabanas are Perfect for couples. Remember to bring CASH!! No Atm in Santa Catalina, and only very few places accept credit-card. Buy your grossaries in Sona (one hour by car from S.C). Phil usually has fish,chicken and meat on stock for you to buy, but buy fruit and vegetables before S.C.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama, Panama
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I came to Santa Catalina this past week to enjoy a little r&r on our downtime from the city, and this place was awesome to say the least. As soon as we got into town there was a guy named Jeff who asked if we had a place to stay. Although we had already planned to stay at Oasis Surf Camp, he told us about the property he worked for (Time Out Cabanas) and offered to take us to Oasis. So we stayed there the first night and it was okay but we decided to check out Time Out the next day and I am so thankful we did. As soon as we entered the big wooden doors of the property we found ourselves in Paradise! The whole place was better than we could have imaged. Place was beautiful, friendly, and extremely affordable for the quality that was provided. Every detail was put into that place. The kitchen was fully furnished and everything from the hand towels to the comforter on the bed smelt delicious. Plus the a/c unit was extremely efficient and cooled the place in nothing flat. As for hot water, this is a rarity in central america so to have this was a luxury for sure.
I haven't even mentioned the beautiful pool setup they have with a swim-up bar and amazing view of the point. Which by the way was perfect for us because I could go look for shells in the morning and my boyfriend could practically walk out our door and be able to surf the point in nothing flat. Time Out has the perfect location. Plus there was a great little cabana down past the pool that has several hammocks that allowed us to watch a pretty great storm roll in one afternoon.
Last but not least I have to mention the food situation. Since Santa Catalina is such a small town there are no grocery stores and everyone has to depend on the Panamanian run Chino which is always under-stocked and has nothing more than some cookies and chips. Time Out knowing this has a fully stocked freezer with everything from beef, chicken, shrimp, prawn, chorizo, and my personal favorite the fillet mignon. They also carry an assortment of veggies to go with any dish you would like to make.
They really have taken everything into consideration and are willing and able to help their guests in any way possible. Just ask for Phillip he is the owner and man you want to talk to! Overall it is a great place with genuine people and an amazing product. I know i will be back and would suggest it to anyone who is going to Santa Catalina.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Catalina Inn
Santa Catalina Inn
#3 of 3 in Santa Catalina
Deseo Bamboo Panama  EcoLodge-Bungalows
Deseo Bamboo Panama EcoLodge-Bu...
#1 of 23 in Santa Catalina
Coibahouse
Coibahouse
#3 of 10 in Santa Catalina
Hostel Villa Vento Surf Santa Catalina
Hostel Villa Vento Surf Santa Ca...
#2 of 23 in Santa Catalina

Been to Cabanas Time Out? Share your experiences!