See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at the Santa Catalina Inn in early November, which seemed to be before the busy season started. There were four of us (two couples) and we stayed in one of the main level rooms. No AC in that particular room, but the price was great and there was plenty of room for the four of us. Unfortunately the onsite restaurant was closed as the owner/manager was away on holidays for a month, but this also made the place seem even quieter and more laid back. Patricia from across the road was taking care of the hotel while the owner was away, and we can't thank her enough for her hospitality. Her surf shop "Surf and Shake" across the road provided us with surfboards that we tried out at the beach, a 20 minute walk away. Santa Catalina is a gem of a place - get here while it's still small and untouched by large-scale development!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have balconies. The main level room we stayed in had no AC, but with the fan running it was fine.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Magnus and Cour... T
Adrian S, Owner at Santa Catalina Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Member
thank you for staying at Santa Catalina Inn, and that you enjoyed your stay there. The whole concept of our hotel is to provide our guests that laid back feeling which also reflects the town's way of living. The restaurant would be open in the month of december to offer our guests a place to relax, eat and drink under our huge rancho in our garden area. I hope that we would offer more services for our guests in 2013 such as WIFI, however still encountering a few signal problems.

I have noted your different ratings and will aim to improve them. thanking you again for choosing Santa Catalina Inn, and the village Santa Catalina as part of your holiday plans.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I are 50 something, so want to give that disclaimer beforehand. We traveled to Santa Catalina on a whim and on seeing the website thought "HMMMM" this looks pretty nice and booked a room. The hotel, without a doubt, will be beautiful if it is really "remodeled" as the website states, but it is still far from a Hotel 6 in the states. Gorgeous piece of property and killer views, but it's rustic and I mean rustic!!!!

Beds DO seem to be NEW, but that's about it. The bathroom was pretty crude and old, including what looked like rodent poo. We spent one night and decided to head out due to bad weather (not their fault). I want to check back with them in the future. Could be a great place, but a long way to go.

Town is small, quaint but if you're there to surf or go to Coiba, it's good! Beautiful country and lovely people. Don't miss it, but expect a 2 STARf and you'll be set. Bring snacks and your own vino!

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor. There is kind of a staircase. I think that during the high season it will be stellar with great sunset views! Bathroom however was gross.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adrian S, Manager at Santa Catalina Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear trip advisor member.
Firstly thank you for your post. We appreciate every post on our hotel.

Now, i want to clarify a few points. Santa Catalina is a small town hours away from normal civilization, and that's why its beautiful. It's RUSTIC and quiet ambience makes it a place to visit and stay. Like has happened to many of us. I just want to make that clear so you have an idea of what to expect. Our Hotel and others in town (luckily) reflects this ambience.

Speaking on behalf of our hotel Santa Catalina Inn, it is true the rooms are basic but surely COMFORTABLE and CLEAN (good beds, clean sheets and towels, ac, private bathroom with hot water) and not smelly. Ok no TV, No Bar, No hair dryer in the bathroom.
re the comment on rodent poo, its most likely a gecko's, and since we are in the middle of nature, that is normal.
I encourage trip advisor members to visit and live this lifestyle for a moment but please do not expect city-like or resort-like accommodation.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed in Santa Catalina Inn twice during my 24 day stay in Panama. On both occasions I really enjoyed the comfort of the well sized clean room and especially the air con and the lovely verandah. The hot water is erratic but it is hot weather so manageable and expect power cuts since these happen very often in Panama. Part of the adventure. The inn only has five rooms so I recommend you get booked fast esp during the high season. The Inn is well located between the diving and snorkelling places and the surfers beach and close to the bus stop. It has parking if you are travelling with a car. The manager Adrian is very helpful and all his staff are friendly and polite. I enjoyed sitting in the restaurant area and enjoying the beautiful garden with a variety of tropical plants and the occasional strolling of mother hen with her thriteen little chicks. If you enjoy comfort, a lovely rest and pleasant surroundings during your holiday this is it...;Thank you for an enjoyabel fifteen day stay :-)

Room Tip: The rooms on the firts fllor are suited for couples and solos and teh huge room on the first floor can host families and groups. They are very well sized and airy
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank elaynecutajar
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were in Santa Catalina mainly as a base to go diving in Coiba. Scuba Coiba recommended this place and has a divers' discount. The hotel is well-maintained, had nice, simple rooms that are well-furnished (the bathroom could use a bit of sprucing up), and air-conditioned, and is located centrally in SC, but not right on the main drag. Walking distance to everything (beach, restaurants, bars, etc.). I would recommend it, especially with the divers' rate.

You can also rent a surfboard at the town beach, and the break is good for beginners (at least while we were there...) - we had a lot of fun!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Adrian gave me the room discount for diving with Herbie at Scubacoiba, had the guys customise my dinner plate, Guarded my cash and passport while I was on Coiba for 3 days, found me a ride to Santiago, then got up at 4 AM to wake me up and brew coffee for the ride out. He really could not hve tried harder to make my stay good. Plus if you stay there you get to know Herbie fron Scubacoiba. Go there!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo