“Lots of potential, but not yet fulfilled”
Review of The Elms

The Elms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abberley
England
“Lots of potential, but not yet fulfilled”
Reviewed December 11, 2008

We decided to book a one night stay at The Elms after being attracted to the 'luxury family hotel' brand promise.

What they did well...

* Nice decor
* Great location
* Excellent outdoor play facilities
* Lovely food
* Great facilities for kids at dinner (highchairs, sippy cups etc)
* Check in experience was good
* The head waiter / barman was excellent

What went wrong...

* Very warm room, too hot for our toddler even with radiators off and windows open
* Hoovering at 11pm then 1am outside the hotel room! They knew we had a toddler. We complained and it then stopped after 1am.
* When we played with the bath toys, a lot of black grimy dirt came out of them when we squeezed them, we had to get our son out of the bath and shower him instead!
* It took over 5 minutes to get served in the restaurant even though we were the only customers there
* IMPORTANT SECURITY ISSUE : We went to play in the children's play area which also doubles as a part time creche, it wasn't staffed and we saw that they had left out personal details of children who had stayed there, their addresses and contact details!!!
* We ordered milk for our son but it didn't arrive and we had to chase them up twice for it
* After all this, they didn't ask us how our stay was on check out and didn't offer to take anything off the bill

It could be a great hotel but the service isn't quite up to 4 star yet. They need to think about their customers, anticipate their needs and care more about whether customers have had a positive experience with them.

They really need to act on the data protection issues and should take their customers data very seriously.

• Liked — The food was excellent
  • Disliked — Warm room, being woken at 1am by staff hoovering, staff not caring about whether we enjoyed our stay
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Let me start with the good things because it was nearly all good.
The room was great, not at all as pokey as it looked in the photographs on the web site. Really comfy beds and lovely squishy mattresses. The staff where fantastic, professional and very accommodating. The childrens facilities where great, trained professional staff (no just got out of college teenagers). My little one wanted to spend more time there than with us! The spa facilities where also fantastic and the 'experience' shower made me laugh out loud with surprise. The lounge areas where comfortable and there was lots of space and open fireplaces.
Now the not so good. The food was not good, the menu was uninspired with braised cuts of meat and a few fish selections, and whatever meal you chose it seemed to have the same brown soy based sauce on it - they even put it on the caesar salad! It was also expensive because you have to have the full 4 courses at £50 per person plus wine (this isn't explained to you until you are sat down with the menu in front of you). We were told that it was a no children zone, however we were sat next to a lady with two children, one of whom whinged through his whole meal. We also ate in the other restaurant which again had a limited and expensive menu but at least we could pay by the course. The changing rooms in the spa where not cleaned for the 3 days we were there, the same empty bottles and bits of hair bobbles where on the floor each day and there was no shower gel in either the mens or the womens (I did mention this the day before). The robe I was given had rubbish in the pocket!
This is not a place for those who like modern style living and dining, the clientelle are the sports jackets and pearls types with children who have names like Percy and Arabella. But still I have to say that the good points made for a very very relaxing couple of days and you really do get to escape the children ! Would I go back? No, but only because of the food, I really like nice food and I really hate paying a lot of money for bad food. Would I try another in the chain? Maybe, with some food reviews.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Joanne W
Test Valley
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Of all the hotels that I have stayed in the most similar one to the Elms is the Best Western in Bristol. The decor and the quality of food/service are similar.

We were hoping for a weekend with good food and service with the added bonus of creche and spa facitilies, and we were prepared to pay for the privilege.

I have to say that because the food is ordinary and the service rather poor the style of the hotel loses any glamour that it might have had and simply becomes tired and over priced. The only thing that could have made it worthwhile was the creche.

We have a 17 month old, who regularly goes to a childminder, and is pretty gregarious and generally easy to distract. However, she only stayed in the creche for 20 minutes at first and cried incessantly. The creche staff asked us to come and get her, which was fine.

The next day I thought that I would try again. The creche called me in the gym after ten minutes to say she was crying. I returned to collect her again. When my wife, who is better at settling our daughter, gave it another shot later in the day, it was patently obvious that the staff were not pleased to see her. They refused to acknowledge her presence. Even while she was in the creche with her, our daughter was tugging at the door handle and asking to be let out. After this we really got the feeling that the creche staff did not want to look after younger children, only lower maintenance 10 year olds.

So, contrary to our hopes, the only break we got was when we had finally settled our daughter in our (stifling - no airconditioning - only window was a fire-escape) room.

At dinner on the first night the staff cleared our plates less than 30 seconds after we had finished our courses (they weren't quite so bad on the second night). They were very nice and friendly but the service was more appropriate to a chain pub in the city than the hotel that this hotel purports to be.

We left after two days with a bill for £675 (not including spa treatments). Although dinner and breakfast was included you are better off looking elsewhere if you want a really comfortable break with your children. They are not the only option.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Creche
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank HolidayHopeful08
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2008

First this is not a luxury hotel. It's at best shabby chic and at worst just shabby.

The hotel has an official 3 star rating.

This hotel caters for all of us who have little ones and need a hotel where they are catered for looked after and where they can have a great time. This is one significant niche market and this hotel plays to this niche and knows how to rip you off.

One night, for my partner and our 2 little ones aged 5 and 6 in one of their smaller rooms, (admittedly including treatments of £110) cost us nearly £600.

The bad things included despite a dinner bed and breakfast rate being offered they still charged for the children’s dinner in the room (macaroni cheese - the boys did not eat it as the cheese sauce was almost non existent and powdery) and their breakfast (£7.50 for a child’s breakfast of OJ and cereal).

Also the outdoor Jacuzzi is separated from the internal Jacuzzi by a heavy metal door whose latch is broken. The hinge is unprotected and is just waiting to break someone’s hand or little fingers.

We ate in the restaurant and had our boys monitored from reception. When we were about to have a nightcap we noticed that reception was unmanned.

The furniture in the room was shabby and no air conditioning resulted in a sleepless night.

No ironing board or was available although they did bring us an iron?????

There could be an awful lot to like about this hotel, if they advertised honestly and charged accordingly. But this is nothing more than a cynical business extracting money from all of us who want our kids to have a holiday where they get as much fun as the adults.

I like nice hotels and am quite happy to pay the prices, however my family will never return to thishotel, they just are charging way too much.

Really, my tip... take your family to Italy where they know how to treat children and don't over charge you for the privilege... after all it would probably including flights cost you less than staying at this place!

• Liked — The child creche
  • Disliked — The vastly over stated quality and over priced tariff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank BernieandSarah
Lancashire
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We booked this hotel so that we could visit our family who live in the area, and also to celebrate a family birthday with dinner in the restaurant.

Our journey to the hotel was terrible as we were stuck in several traffic jams on the motorway, however upon arrival we were warmly welcomed at reception and our numerous bags and birthday gifts were whisked to our room by two porters whilst a third member of staff showed us the way and explained the rooms facilities.

Once in our executive room that looked out over the gardens we kicked off our shoes and enjoyed a relaxing shower in the well appointed bathroom, making full use of the toiletries and fluffy bathrobes provided. A few minutes later we were telephoned by reception to check if everything was to our satisfaction and to ask if an alarm call was required in the morning and also if we would like a turndown service.

Feeling totally refreshed we made our way to the bar to have a drink whilst waiting for our dinner guests, service once again was very slick as I did not mention my name or room but the maitre d brought out two menus for my wife and I to read and two extras were left on the table for when our guests arrived - a nice touch.
Dinner was superb and the chef made good use of many local ingredients, this was complemented by an extensive and varied wine list which I feel would have something to suit everyones taste. The service from the staff in the restaurant and the presentation of the food was of exactly the right standard to make a birthday dinner feel special without being stuffy or overbearing, something which a lot of restaurants fail to achieve.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will certainly visit again soon and perhaps find some time to make use of the spa.

• Liked — Friendly Staff and Great Service
  • Disliked — Having to pay the bill ;-)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GastroGrazer
scotland
Reviewed June 11, 2008

I stayed with my family just a few weeks ago and I cant get over how great an experience this was.

The Spa was a joy , My wife had a treatment , I used the gym and steam rooms- and an indoor out door pool !

Food is probably the best I have ever had - An "ofstead" Creche for my 2yo and walks in the great grounds.....

On the down side it rained a bit but cant blaim the hotel for that !

• Liked — all refurbished and very fresh
  • Disliked — not much of a reduction in price for a 2 week stay
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank RoofScotland
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We stayed at the Elms for a wedding, taking place over the May bank holiday.
On checking in, I thought the staff were helpful, although I thought the lobby was quite a mess with kids' toys littered around. I should point out that this hotel is aimed at families and is probably quite good if you like going on holiday to annoy other people with your children....
We paid quite a lot for the first night's stay (£245) although this was only for their cheapest room - a 'classic'. We were given the smallest hotel room that I have ever seen outside London and this was right at the end of a corridor overlooking the entrance to the hotel. There wasn't room to put out your cases and still be able to sit and have a drink together. The bathroom was quite nice to be fair. I was amazed that they had the brass neck to charge this kind of money for such a poor room. I don't normally complain about hotels, but in this case I felt that we were really being ripped off. This is the same money we paid for a truly superb room in the Cotswold House Hotel in a much nicer setting. We asked if we could be moved and the receptionist in fact agreed that it was a really small room and moved us next door into a larger deluxe room which I have to say was quite nice.
I was quite surprised that I had to wire up the dvd player and tv myself as there weren't enough scart cables for everything to be connected at the same time.
We had to move back to a classic room the next day which was quite reasonably sized although the furnishing was quite old-fashioned. What really rankled was that we had to argue the case for our upgrade to be reduced in price and also not to have to go back in the shoebox room. The manageress wasn't as helpful as she could have been, suggesting that we do the ironing in the corridor to help the space issue. I really don't think that this should be required at these prices!
We ate in the hotel's restaurant on the first night and the food was very good in all fairness. Given the price though (nearly £100 for 2), I was quite surprised that the maitre d' appeared to wearing jeans and trainers.
The hotel has been updated recently but a lot of the common areas already look quite tired. There is a nice swimming pool and the ubiquitous spa offering over-priced treatments. There is also a very nice terrace which I imagine is lovely in nice weather.
Breakfast was a fairly functional affair.
Overall I wouldn't describe this as a luxury hotel. It's just in an old house, which I don't think qualifies it as luxury. There are too many screaming kids for a getaway for a couple - there isn't much peace and quiet as a result.

• Liked — The pool was nice.
  • Disliked — Hundreds of screaming children.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Richp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abberley
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Malvern Wells
Gainsborough House Hotel
Gainsborough House Hotel
#4 of 5 in Kidderminster

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!