“Lovely looking hotel but terrbile food and slow service”
Review of The Elms

The Elms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abberley
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here last year for a romantic break away. I was heavily pregnant with my son at the time. We were initially very impressed with the look of the hotel, the staff on reception were very attentive and friendly and our room was lovely. I did struggle to get to our room as it was up a lot of stairs and there were no lifts, very difficult whilst being heavily pregnant and there was no offer of help with our bags. We booked into the restaurant for our 3 course meal, we were looking forward to it as at £50 per head we thought it would be something special, it wasn't. My husband asked some questions about what was in the dishes and was told something completely different, so when his meal arrived he did not like it at all as it wasn't what the waiter had said it was! The staff were no where to be seen and we were left with empty drinks for a long time. I ordered the cheese board for dessert, I asked for no blue cheese and asked if they cheeses were pasteurised due to my pregnancy. When it arrived I had some awful smelling blue cheese and a mould ripened cheese which can be dangerous to pregnant women if eaten, even though I had specifically asked for suitable cheeses. I didn't eat any of it. The health spa was pleasant but again the staff in the café were no where to be seen, my husband waited 20 minutes to try and pay for our drinks. The breakfast was a complete joke. I asked for well done eggs, they came out so runny they looked like porridge and had to be sent back. My husbands breakfast was lukewarm and tiny, they served 1 rasher of bacon, a small egg, 1 small sausage and half a mushroom! Why half a mushroom?? We complained at reception but no offer to deduct any of the price, it cost around £280-£300 for our stay in total and we were very disappointed and will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Klaire E
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear KlaireE

Thank you for reviewing your stay last year. I t is quite hard to comment about something so far after the event. I will of course investigate the issues you have raised however at this time please accept my unreserved apology for the stay not living up to your expectations.

I can advise that over the course of the last 6 months we have been through some changes in the team and we now have a new kitchen team and new Head Chef and he is forging ahead with writing new Autumn menus and reviewing what we have done in the past and where we can improve for the future.

Once again thank you for sharing your comments.

Hayley Kirton

There are newer reviews for The Elms

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have just spent a relazing weekend at Elms Hotel, I can honesty say this is one of the nicest hotel we have stayed in. The staff are so friendly and can't do enough to help you, the spa was lovely and the food was amazing. We will certainly be going back for another weekend away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CarolineW

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Elms. It's always a joy to read that someone has loved it so thank you for sharing it!.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I'll start by saying don't pay any attention to the other moaners about this hotel, we stayed for a couple of days on a Travel Zoo special, and had a fantastic stay. The staff were all brilliant and could not have been more helpful, the evening dinners were two of the best my wife and I have ever had and served by a great team, as were the breakfasts, compliments to the chief !!. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable and we enjoyed a couple of films from the drawer downstairs.
It would be a great place for a family as these were very well catered for, but don't worry, they did not bother us at all, especially as we like a little peace and quiet when away. I think we were given a quieter room which was nice.
The pool and spa was also excellent and we enjoyed the facilities that it offered more than once, again with very pleasant staff. The gardens were lovely and it was nice to sit out and enjoy them with a drink from the bar or cafe.
All in all a great 2 days,pity it wasn't more. Many thanks to the manager and her staff. Will be back sometime.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Martin 186342

Thanks for writing a review for us. I'm so glad that you had a great time. I was also pleased to read that even though we are family friendly you were still able to have a excellent stay in this lovely location without children. We are well set up to look after adults too!

Thanks again and I hope I get to welcome you back to the Elms in the near future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed here, this time for a 40th birthday treat. On both occasions we've found it to be the perfect weekend escape for parents with young children. The hotel itself is lovely in a beautiful location and is tastefully furnished without being OTT. Despite being a "posh" establishment, the atmosphere is very relaxed and no one minds kids running riot around the grounds and through the reception rooms.
It's clearly very well set up for little nippers: there's loads for things to do including lots of toys, games, a tennis court and playground. Best of all is the swimming pool which our kids loved (we went swimming 4 times in the two days we stayed).
Last but by no means least I should mention the food: we opted for the fine dining option both nights and I have to say I was not disappointed. The quality and attention to detail of the courses is second to none, though it's never overly fussy, and you feel full up after the 3 courses. There's also an extensive wine list and a selection of nice local ales. It was a perfect way for us to wind down once the kids were in bed.
The staff were also exceptionally helpful and bent over backwards to accommodate us. On the first night one of our children couldn't sleep, but the staff did all they could to hold the dinner until later so that we didn't miss out and, when he still wouldn't sleep, they let him join us at the dinner table (which technically wasn't allowed but they were fine about it). They gave a really good impression of wanting all of us - parents and children - to really enjoy our stay and made us feel very welcome.

Only minor gripe was that the room was a little small for all 4 of us to sleep which meant it could be tricky moving around with all of our luggage strewn across the floor. Not that the kids seemed to care though - they loved the whole experience.

The cost of the hotel isn't cheap, but with this sort of place you do pay for what you get. We went for the all inclusive option where dinner was included in the price up front which, when you add it up, actually makes for quite good value. The overall cost of the 2 night was around £700 which sounds expensive but when you think of the quality of the establishment, the food and the other amenities (e.g. spa) then I felt it was well worth it.
Will I be going back? Definitely, though it's a special occasion-only sort of place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

dear TheBigGuy45

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I am so glad that we were able to be such a special place for you and your family. It is always great to read when a family has loved it and made the most of all the facilities that we have avaialble. We do aim to make sure that children and parents alike are cared for and you are absolutely right when you say we want you all to enjoy your stay.

Thanks again for writing so comprehensively and I do hoppe i ahve the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for 4 nights here late July 2013, and I was very impressed with the decor of the hotel, the food, but especially the way in which the staff went out of their way to look after us. Katie, in the kids club, was great at making each child feel special, and Sally on reception was outstanding in sorting any minor problems. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Erika S

Hello ErikaS
Thank you for your lovely review. I will pass on your comments to Sally and Katie who will be so pleased to be recognised for their efforts.

I do hope we see you again soon and that you Austria holiday was equally as lovely!

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

The Elms has got many lovely features, it's just a shame that a few easily-remedied issues remain. The hotel building is beautiful old house with lots of lovely character features, the entrance staircase and entrance hall is very nice, and the grounds are very scenic with a lovely approach, a stunning rear garden with a little fountain, fruit and veg, attractive flowers, adventure playground and tennis courts, as well as a small orchard. The crèche is a really handy feature giving you a bit of adult time, there is a great box of toys and childrens area under the stairs, also the pool and spa is very good, looks new and is very stylish. Food is of very good quality in general and breakfast in particular very tasty.
It is great to go somewhere that feels luxurious yet also makes children welcome. The main reason for the 3 stars is the terrible service we experienced at dinner, after waiting 40 minutes for our main course, we struggled to find someone to chase it up, and once we did it turned out that they'd completely forgotten about it. There were only about five other tables on the go at the time, so this was pretty poor. To forget our order is one thing, however there should still be serving staff on hand to notice that we'd been sat there for so long. Other tables had arrived and left. On complaining, we were offered the meal for free which we accepted, although this didn't make it onto the final bill so there had to be some more upheaval on checking out. It is such a beautiful hotel and a lot of things are done right, so it is a shame to have it let down by patchy service.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank hrpj
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear hrpj

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry that what could have been an otherwise great stay was let down by the level of service at dinner. I can understand your frustration after this event to then to discover that the message regading the charge was not communicated to reception.
I fully recognise that this is not what our guests expect and can promise that we will review how to improve our processes to ensure that this sort of thing does not occur in the future.
I'm sincerely sorry that it marred an otherwise enjoyable stay adn I do hope that this isolated incident would not prevent you from returning.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past with my husband and 2 small children and liked it so much that I decided to choose it as the venue for my 40th birthday, we went for the bank holiday weekend with 4 other families and we all had a great time! The hotel is set in a very beautiful, rural setting, with very pretty gardens and is just as nice inside, as we had booked a number of rooms I got to see around a few and thought they were all really lovely, spacious and very clean.
I kind of get what people are saying on here about the service as in my previous stays there have been a few issues, but I think the hotel has really taken this on board, everything went so smoothly for us, right down to the very last detail and I couldn't of asked for anything to of gone better. Sally on the front desk is so friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. Fern, the front of house manager, in particular did a fantastic job and noted each of my (many!) requests for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, arrangements for the children, spa bookings, dietary requirements etc and for such a large group of us, I I had expected a few glitches but everything went perfectly and there was nothing that went amiss.
The best thing about this hotel is that it caters so well for children. In our party the children's ages ranged from 18 months to 9 years and each child had an equally great time. Enya from the Bears Den (kids club) and her colleagues were fantastic and arranged lots of interesting and exciting activities. On the night of my birthday dinner, I arranged private babysitting for the children and they had a pyjama party in The Bears Den organised by Enya (who incidentally also turned up in her PJ's!) and she had made invitations beforehand to send out to the children which I thought was so lovely as it made them feel really included. My son said it was the best part of his stay (what about being with Mummy and Daddy?!)
On one of the days I had organised a buffet lunch which was delicious and the children were very well catered for too with "cool food" as my Goddaughter told me! We were given a private room and also an extra room where the children could watch a film while they ate, I had not requested this but it was an excellent thought and the children loved it.
I think the fine dining restaurant in this hotel is amazing and I've never had a bad experience there. The canapes and meal I had for my birthday dinner in a private room were excellent and the service was absolutely first class. Our waiters (so sorry to of have forgotten your names!) were very attentive, polite and met our every request perfectly.
I think the reason I like this hotel so much is that it is so hard to find somewhere that is enjoyable for both adults and children without one having to compromise on something. But at The Elms, you can enjoy some adult time in a lovely setting with really nice food and wine, whilst knowing that your children are being looked after too. Thank you to Fern and your team for all your hard work, we all had a great weekend!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 125ClaireMarsh

dear 125ClaireMarsh

Thank you for taking the time to review your weekend. I'm so pleased to read that we were able to make the weekend special for your adult and child activities alike.
I will share you lovely words with the team and pass on the personal mentions, they will be so pleased.
I do hope we get to welcome you back next year...why doesn't anyone celebrate 41?

Hayley and the team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abberley
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett
The Cottage in the Wood
The Cottage in the Wood
#1 of 1 in Malvern Wells

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!