“The best for family, food & service”
Review of The Elms

The Elms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abberley
Reviewed December 12, 2012

9 out of 14 guests orders fillet steak: all arrived according to their preference, all totally synchronised, all absolutely perfectly cooked. Don't care what the others ate (although I hear it was very, very good) Mine was perfect - and all this amidst lots of toddlers running around and being generally cared for. A lovely, lovely family friendly hotel; the staff could not do enough for you, the service was impecable, non-intrusive, but right on the button, I can't recommend it highly enough. If I had the money, I'd go there every weekend. I wish.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Penchaucer
Thank you for your lovely review. I am glad that you had a great time . How lovely if you could spend every weekend here, we would be most happy to see you! I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The creche is good - in a separate, modern outbuilding with a good range of toys and activities. Our 21 month old had a nice time and the creche staff were friendly.

The swimming pool is great although the strange lighting which constantly changes colour makes it feel a little odd when it's dark outside (and makes it slightly difficult to see clearly). There's a drying centrifuge in the changing room which helps with drying wet swimwear.

As it's a family hotel we felt comfortable allowing our son to roam a little around the public spaces in the main house. He loved going up and down the stairs, playing with the crayons on the activity table under the stairs and he also seemed fond of George, the resident black cat. He also liked the real fire in the cosy drawing room (safely protected by a steel mesh fireguard which stays cool even when the fire is lit).

We originally booked a room in the coach house which is a 30 second walk out of the main house. At night, the pathway leading to the coach house rooms was a little dark as some of the LED lamps set into the pathway weren't working.

The room we had (Whiting) was really quite small, especially the bathroom where we had a little difficulty in bathing our boy due to the limited space around the bathtub. Also the door to the room has some kind of seal around its frame which makes a loud "ssshhhtk' sound whenever you open it, which made it hard for us to leave quietly for dinner once our son was asleep in the cot two metres away.

We asked to move rooms because of noise from the adjacent room (we were woken by another toddler's crying - ours slept right through I should point out!) and were given a room in the main house. This new room (Madresfield Court) is at the front of the house, directly above the main restaurant (Brookes). It was much bigger, with a huge bathroom: claw-footed Victorian bathtub, separate shower.

Madresfield Court was very quiet as it's at the far end of a corridor with only one adjacent room. Its door was also much quieter than the one in Whiting room!

You can call reception and ask for fresh milk to be brought up to your room (at no charge) which is welcome if like me you need a cup of white coffee the moment you step out of bed. (There's a kettle and instant coffee & teabags in the room.)

We ate in Brookes restaurant and used the baby listening service, which worked fine. (In fact I wondered whether our own baby monitor would have worked, as our room was directly above, although I didn't test this theory.) The food was generally good.

For those with small children who are keen on trains, I can recommend visiting the nearby Severn Valley Railway at nearby Kidderminster Station. In addition to a functioning steam railway line there is a tiny children's scale-model line with a steam powered locomotive, as well as a small museum (free entry) and cafe.

Room Tip: Whiting in the coach house is small with a tiny bathroom and suffers from noise from the adjacent ro...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

dear Dogwalker
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and for your kind words. Sorry about the noisy door ,we will have to get that looked at. I am glad we were able to solve the problem with a room move.
I was please to see read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we see you again in the near future.

Warm Regards

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here for bonfire weekend with our 4 year old daughter. Check in was smooth and our room was spacious and all we needed. The pool was a hit with our little girl who spent a lot of time in there! The grounds are also fantastic, so much space for her to run and the fairy door hunt went down well too. There was a buffet in the evening which wasn't that great and was overpriced for what it was, particularly for vegetarians! Lunch took awhile to arrive after finding somebody to take our order. The problem is you just sit where you like in the lounge or bar with no designated service point. The food was fine but £5 for our daughter's glass of apple juice is ridiculous! The firework show was ok, have seen better at other hotels but the free sparklers were a nice touch. In the morning, breakfast was OK although I didn't get the toast I asked for with my hot food. We didn't have any intentions on using the crèche but after collecting our prize from the fairy hunt our daughter wanted to stay and play, she had a great time in there. We had a hot drink in the cafe which took a long time to make (10 minutes!) overall we had a lovely weekend but the service and food didn't quite meet our expectations following the cost.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Hello Norcy
Thank you for your review of your recent visit to The Elms . I was disappointed to read that we were not able to meet your expecations with regard to service and for this I am very sorry. I will take this opportunity to reassure you that as a team we are working hard on improving every aspect of the food and beverage service & delivery. I am not sure what happened with the apple juice, a 250ml glass costs £2.50. My apologies for the double charge and if you return then we owe you one.

I take on board your comments about the bonfire night event. We will change it for next year and focus on a great childrens buffet, some interactive childrens activities and lots more fireworks.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope we see you here at the Elms in the future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went up for a friend's 40th. It was seen as ideal as so many of us have kids. It is a lovely place and we got a warm welcome on reception. Our room was lovely and, unlike many hotels, as there were 3 of us, there were 3 sets of towels. I know that sounds silly but it happens less often that one would expect. We all booked the children's high tea and service was poor. The meals arrived in dribs and drabs with my daughter waiting 40 minutes. The excuse was short staff but hey, that's why people book in advance, to give hotels a chance to staff up appropriately. I have to say they almost redeemed themselves with the evening meal for 18 in a function room. We didn't get our meals at the same time but the timing was better than at high tea. The food was lovely, small portions sadly, but delicious and the veg option was very tasty. I do regret that I didn't get to use the spa as others in our party tell me it is lovely. We didn't use the creche either, but, again, people were impressed. Breakfast was poor. A long wait for them to take orders and three requests for toast not actioned.
It is in a lovely setting but a long way from London where we live, and I'm afraid the service means it doesn't feel worth the journey back. Indeed my husband said he wouldn't even stay there as a stop off on a long journey as the service put him off. At the prices they charge, it should be better

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main house. We were in the coach house and you have to go outside to get t...

Hello Axyl100
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor and also for contacting me directly. I hope the email I have sent goes some way to apologise for some of the service issues and explain what happened. As I said in the email I am happy to discuss it in greater detail if you wish to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We had a family celebration at the Elms.

The staff were all very helpful, dinner was very good. We were a mixed group including children and the hotel is suited to this mix - I wouldnt recommend for a quiet romantic break

Breakfast was a bit manic and perhaps a buffet would make it more straight forward but the quality was good.

• Stayed: November 2012

Hello Racing34
I am happy to read that your family event went well on Saturday evening and that the hotel was well suited to cater for your needs. I take onboard your feedback about a busy breakfast which can be hectic when we are cooking to order. We very much want to keep it the way it is though, and are looking at ways with the team of improving the speed of service so it is less hectic.
Your comment regarding a romantic weekend break is fair. We are all about families and the little ones having a great time is as important as the adults having a great time. Here children can be children.
Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you to the Elms again in the near future.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our third visit to this beautiful manor house was as memorable as before. Since first discovering The Elms back in June, we haven't been able to stay away. Our 7 year old even chose this location over a birthday party with friends. The staff, led by The wonderful Hayley, are simply fabulous. The setting, amongst rolling hills and valleys, the gorgeous rooms and first class, friendly hosts gave us a perfect weekend. They made us feel so welcome and at home. after a day full of fun in the pool, on the courts and even searching for fairies, and a special birthday dinner laid on with balloons and cake by the hotel, we went outside for a firework display. Then we had a cosy evening in the lounge with friends as the children played around us. Janine and Alex looked after our and the childrens' every need. Sally on reception even drove our friends home after her shift as there were no cabs! We cannot recommend this hotel enough...and we cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: In nice weather, go for the coach house rooms - with french doors onto the garden.

Hello Tara
Thanks for your lovely review. We can't wait to have you back! More fireworks next year I think!!
See you again soon I hope.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I organised a day trip to the Spa as a birthday gift to a friend and we had a lovely time! The staff were so welcoming and friendly, and had answers to all of our questions. The jacuzzi was hot too which was lovely as the last Spa we visited wasn't very impressive.
We had a set lunch with the day with yummy food and have already planned another trip back there in three months time. A thoroughly enjoyed day.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
TheElmsAbberley, Front Office Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear sjb1985,

Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review about your recent visit to the Spa. It is wonderful to hear how good a day was had by the both of you for your friend's birthday. I will be sure to pass your comments on the the spa team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Kind Regards

Fern Stewart
Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abberley
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Malvern Wells
Brockencote Hall Hotel
Brockencote Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!